75 ohm cable for guitar cable? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
75 ohm cable for guitar cable?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
75 ohm cable for guitar cable?

Hello,
I'm wondering if 75 ohm cable with solid copper core is suitable for guitar cords.
Thanks
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No, the 75 ohm cable will load down the pickups causing weak signal and filtered high frequencies. Especially if the pickups are passive but I imagine most active pickups might be loaded down too much with 75 ohm as well.
Generally, guitar pickups need a very high impedance cable, 75 ohm is about the worst candidate for guitar cable.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good to know. Thanks for the reply
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce ➡️
No, the 75 ohm cable will load down the pickups causing weak signal and filtered high frequencies. Especially if the pickups are passive but I imagine most active pickups might be loaded down too much with 75 ohm as well.
Generally, guitar pickups need a very high impedance cable, 75 ohm is about the worst candidate for guitar cable.
OMG, please don't post advice if you have no clue... A typical 75 Ohm video cable will NOT load the pickups with 75 Ohms...

EDIT: to answer the original question, as far as capacitance a typical 75 Ohm coax cable would actually be excellent for a guitar, giving you less than 70pF per meter, but the mechanical properties (with solid core) could be a problem if you move around a lot.

Martin
Old 24th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola ➡️
OMG, please don't post advice if you have no clue... A typical 75 Ohm video cable will NOT load the pickups with 75 Ohms...

EDIT: to answer the original question, as far as capacitance a typical 75 Ohm coax cable would actually be excellent for a guitar, giving you less than 70pF per meter, but the mechanical properties (with solid core) could be a problem if you move around a lot.

Martin
I agree with Martin.

I use 75 Ohm video cables all the time to connect my guitar effects pedals. I made several five inch cables with right angle connectors and have used them for many years. No sound loss at all. They hardly move around so the solid core stays rigid.

Mr_Mojo_Risin
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried 75ohm cables many moons ago and quickly decided it was a bad idea. 75ohm cable is designed for RF fixed installations. When I tried it for guitar the cable picked up all the scratches and noise while being dragged along the floor. The dielectric in the insulator acts as a crystal and it generated microvoltages to changes in pressure.

The other thing about 75ohm cable is they are designed for crimp connectors, and the insulator melts way too easily with any attempt to solder a 1/4" plug and presto you have a short circuit or low impedance short.

Stay away from 75ohm cable for audio.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…