Quantcast
Best mixing headphones...? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones...?
View Poll Results: Best mixing headphones (other options welcome aswell)...
Sony MDR-V600
10 Votes - 11.49%
Akg 601 or 701
18 Votes - 20.69%
Ultrasone Pro 2500
9 Votes - 10.34%
Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro
21 Votes - 24.14%
Grado SR125
7 Votes - 8.05%
AT ATH-M50
22 Votes - 25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Best mixing headphones...?

First and foremost, hello! As you can plainly see I'm a newb here, and I'm also very new to the whole pro audio deal. I've been lurking these forums for some time and it seems like a nice community here. I hope I don't get torn a new a$$hole for asking this, or for posting this thread. I know there are a couple others like it but I've never really been able to make a decision based on them, that's why I've made this a poll. If any mods find this thread too unnecessary then feel free to delete it. I don't want to make any clutter.
EDIT: When selecting, if you recommend something close to one of those options, if you could chose that one and post your alternate choice that would be great aswell.

Also, I am 10000% aware that mixing with headphones is a big no-notutt. Stereo field, drivers to close to your head, all of that. At this point in time it is just NOT possible for me to get monitors and treat my room, so I'm hoping this is the next best thing.
I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback (the good kind) that you guys have on this.

I guess I'll add a little second question. I've been trying to decide which audio interface to get, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Profire 610 and the Apogee Duet. These are just on the border of my price range. I can't go any higher. Hopefully someone can guide my in the right direction with this too (I hope I'm not asking too much) or maybe suggest some slightly cheaper alternatives that will do the trick aswell. I'm doing all my music myself and I want to be able to make a higher quality demo/full length. I'm playing metal and using a macbook pro (TI chipset) if that makes any difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Sennheiser HD-650's are my recommendation.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Suprised you don't have any Sennheisers up there either. My HD-280pros are great and only $100. Other than the obvious complete stereo ear isolation of headphones thing, there's another aspect of mixing in headphones I would hate. It's that most are unnaturally bright and tiring to listen to. You will undercompensate your highs every time and get dull mixes. This is especially true for anything from Sony IMHO. They are probably great for doing fine edits however. The Beyer's and AKGs are too ambient sounding to me and are flattering sounding headphones that make everything sound good. Not what you want for mixing! The Senns are very flat in response and sound very direct, much like sitting in front of nearfield monitors.

There is also a software plugin that I forget the name of that simulates the stereo bleed into the opposite ear the way speakers will. That's the main problem with mixing in headphones, is that the speakers are totally isolated to each ear. left speaker, left ear only etc and no bleed. Hearing that bleed, sucky as it may be, is important to making a mix that will reproduce well on speakers. The left ear picking up a bit of the right speaker and vice versa creates a phase cancellation that alters the perceived relative volume and characteristics of your sounds. When mixing in speakers you will automatically compensate for this without realizing it. In headphones you won't, and your mix will probably not be to good on speakers. It may howver be fantastic in headphones, which might not be the end of the world due to the rise of the i-pod. So anyway if you figure out what plugin causes that bleed, give it a try and let me know. I bet it works.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've done mixing with Sennheiser HD 560 headphones. They don't make 'em any more but you may find them on eBay, as long as Andrew Roberts doesn't get to them first. (He likes them even more that I do.) Open and very comfortable to wear. I also like, use and own the Beyer DT770s. They are closed. I think the only difference between the 770, 880 and 990s is the amount of isolation they provide. I've only tried the 880s at AES.

-johnny
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hah thanks for the info. Sorry no sennheisers up there, I don't know why I didn't have any on my list. I've also heard of this headphone bleed plugin. No luck finding anything like that yet but I'm still looking.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Stanton Dj Pro 60 beats >90% of headphones out there.
Lives for gear

I don't know if they're the best, but I've been using Sennheiser HD-600s for about 5 years. I like them, and use them for checking details, though I still mix better through NS-10s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
omg i really had no idea when I mentioned Senns that they'd become such the trend on here. They really are great phones though. I've been meaning to track down a higher end set than mine. I had the 260hd before the 280s. they were about $200 and killer as well. What are those hd600s about?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beyerdynamic DT880
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The old Koss Pro AT is nice. They are fairly mid forward. It's like strapping NS10's around your head.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Duet plus the Ultrasones pro 2500 are what I´m using and am quite happy with the sound quality. I´d take apogee over M-audio any day... A friend has an M-audio interface, possibly the one you are asking about and when I connected the Duet to his Genelec´s it sounded like he had new monitors. Not kidding or exaggerating.
The Ultrasones go well with the Duet, I don´t think the duet would drive the Sennheiser´s too well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser HD600 or 650 if you can afford the extra cash.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ultrasone for me.

Moved up from Senn 280 to a bigger and less hyped world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ultrasone
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheisser HD450.
I wouldnt dare ever to do a full mix on headphones only.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I guess the list is starting to look rather silly now, so here's another vote for Sennheiser HD650 heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
where´s the option "none"? heh

HD6xx are the way to go.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I have to, I can get pretty far with Sennheiser HD600's.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser HD600
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a home-recordist, I use Sennheiser HD25II, rather good ones !
Deleted 2848499
+1 senheiser HD600
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Oh man, LOTS of recommendations for the HD600 and 650's. I guess I should have lurked moar, as they say, and made a better list. I guess theres no way to edit polls or poll options? BTW, I'm really looking to get that Duet now. If I got some Sennheiser headphones would it be wise to get a preamp to drive them, or would the duet do the trick? Sorry if this is some REALLY obvious stuff, as I said, I don't know **** about **** about recording.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Any good mixing in ear choices? Cans fatigue me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AKG K240DFs... I find if you HAVE to mix in cans... these will get you pretty close. Too bad they are discontinued, and NOS are getting harder to find.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, mixing on headphones is pretty much like flying blind. You will definitely have to reference your mixes on as many systems as possible to see if they translate.

That being said, I enjoy using my MDR-V900HD's when I can't make noise. I used to have MDR-7509's and those were pretty rockin' too. Of course, I've got 7506's for the talent and it's nice to have these around because everyone is familiar with what they sound like.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Duet will most probably not drive the Sennheiser phones as they are 300 ohms. The Ultrasone are 40 ohm and the Duet´s headphone amp is 30 ohm.

What I´d suggest would be for you to get the Duet and then if you have a laptop take it plus the Duet to the store and try the headphones out for yourself with your system.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ah cool, thanks for the info. And also, in terms of checking my stuff on monitors, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get access to some real mixing rooms in the future, as I attend the Musicians institute in LA. I'll see how that goes...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been mixing on headphones with decent results for a long time now. While it's not ideal, it's not as verboten as people make it out to be. As long as you're observing some basic rules (many of which apply to normal mixing) and you do a lot of reference checks on other systems, it's fairly easy to get a serious chunk of your mix process done with headphones.

I've used several different brands and quality levels over the years and have found that as long as they aren't el cheapo $20 cans, they will do pretty well. You mostly want to find something with the flattest frequency response possible, which is sometimes tough to do since so many "nice" headphones have a hyped low end. Doing some research on manufacturer websites and at places like headphone.com and the headphone info at headwize.com will help you out with this.

The Senn 6xx series phones are awesome and certainly my go-to recommendation for high budget phones, but I wouldn't spend the money on them unless I was also going to use them for some serious recreational listening. There isn't anything about them which will overcome any of the limitations of mixing with headphones so if you're planning to only mix with them, you will just end up wasting money. If I had a $600 budget and no existing headphone gear I would probably spend it on a decent headphone amp and some cheaper headphones instead. In my experience, having an external (to the computer) DAC and even a basic amp with some $200 headphones is preferable to dumping all of your money into the headphones themselves.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD ➡️
+1 sennheiser HD600
+2
📝 Reply