Quantcast
Best mixing headphones...? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones...?
View Poll Results: Best mixing headphones (other options welcome aswell)...
Sony MDR-V600
10 Votes - 11.49%
Akg 601 or 701
18 Votes - 20.69%
Ultrasone Pro 2500
9 Votes - 10.34%
Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro
21 Votes - 24.14%
Grado SR125
7 Votes - 8.05%
AT ATH-M50
22 Votes - 25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser HD 580

Great phones. I can do a mix on these in a pinch.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➡️
Grado RS-1's...
Yep.

I have DT770s here too, and they are quite good... but as far as detailed decision making, the Grados smoke 'em.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've used my friends DT770s and found them very difficult to mix with because they sound really good. They make everything sound good and then when you take it to another system, it doesn't sound as good.

I prefer my Sennheiser HD280s, especially since they are $150 less. They do lack some bass so be careful not to overcompensate in that department when mixing.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrummer027 ➡️
I've used my friends DT770s and found them very difficult to mix with because they sound really good. They make everything sound good and then when you take it to another system, it doesn't sound as good.

I prefer my Sennheiser HD280s, especially since they are $150 less. They do lack some bass so be careful not to overcompensate in that department when mixing.
And it's not the sub bass the HD280's are missing, it's the mid bass... big huge scoop in that area compared to my HD595's and my monitors and house stereo... and car stereo. I never understood what many people meant when they said they're lacking in bass because I thought they meant the lower bass frequencies. Everything I've ever mixed on them sounds really boxy and heavy in the mid bass to lower mids on anything other than those cans. I check stuff on them once in awhile but will never mix on them again. My new HD 595's are translating really well to everything including the car, home stereo and portable. The best thing about them is they definitely do not make everything sound good. Stuff that was recorded well really shines on them but if the material wasn't that well done these cans will let you know. I had no Idea how bad most of my mp3's sound in the high end (artifacts) and how utterly crappy sounding many of my commercially purchased cd's sound. Will be trying the HD600's in a couple of months but I have a feeling I'll be keeping these things around too.

The HD280's have been banished to tracking only now.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Beyerdynamic DT-770's.

They go very low and reject sound like none other. I play drums without my earplugs in just wearing them and my ears do fine. I cant say they translate very well though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG 701s are incredible for the price. Need a few hours to loosen up, though.
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Of Light ➡️
First and foremost, hello! As you can plainly see I'm a newb here, and I'm also very new to the whole pro audio deal. I've been lurking these forums for some time and it seems like a nice community here. I hope I don't get torn a new a$$hole for asking this, or for posting this thread. I know there are a couple others like it but I've never really been able to make a decision based on them, that's why I've made this a poll. If any mods find this thread too unnecessary then feel free to delete it. I don't want to make any clutter.
EDIT: When selecting, if you recommend something close to one of those options, if you could chose that one and post your alternate choice that would be great aswell.

Also, I am 10000% aware that mixing with headphones is a big no-notutt. Stereo field, drivers to close to your head, all of that. At this point in time it is just NOT possible for me to get monitors and treat my room, so I'm hoping this is the next best thing.
I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback (the good kind) that you guys have on this.

I guess I'll add a little second question. I've been trying to decide which audio interface to get, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Profire 610 and the Apogee Duet. These are just on the border of my price range. I can't go any higher. Hopefully someone can guide my in the right direction with this too (I hope I'm not asking too much) or maybe suggest some slightly cheaper alternatives that will do the trick aswell. I'm doing all my music myself and I want to be able to make a higher quality demo/full length. I'm playing metal and using a macbook pro (TI chipset) if that makes any difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
AKG K240 Studio headphones are my choice. But really, it all subjective to what sounds most natural to YOU. And, who wrote the law you can't mix by headphones? Tom Scholz does - and he engineered one of the best selling albums of all time. So there ya have it...
📝 Reply