Quantcast
Best mixing headphones...? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones...?
View Poll Results: Best mixing headphones (other options welcome aswell)...
Sony MDR-V600
10 Votes - 11.49%
Akg 601 or 701
18 Votes - 20.69%
Ultrasone Pro 2500
9 Votes - 10.34%
Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro
21 Votes - 24.14%
Grado SR125
7 Votes - 8.05%
AT ATH-M50
22 Votes - 25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
+1 Sennheiser HD-650
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Akg 701
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared ➑️
The Senn 6xx series phones are awesome and certainly my go-to recommendation for high budget phones, but I wouldn't spend the money on them unless I was also going to use them for some serious recreational listening. There isn't anything about them which will overcome any of the limitations of mixing with headphones so if you're planning to only mix with them, you will just end up wasting money. If I had a $600 budget and no existing headphone gear I would probably spend it on a decent headphone amp and some cheaper headphones instead. In my experience, having an external (to the computer) DAC and even a basic amp with some $200 headphones is preferable to dumping all of your money into the headphones themselves.
I was planning on using whichever headphones I get to actually listen to music aswell. I see what you're saying and I thank you for the input. I don't quite have $600 dollars to spend, and seeing as the sennheiser 600/650's are pretty expensive and would require me to get an amp, those are out. Looks like the poll is tipping in favor of the AT's. Anybody have any opinions on those specifically?

I should have done some more research on this. I guess I have some new limitations now. So what are good headphones that wouldn't require me to get a seperate amp? Also what if, say for example, I got the AKG K701's? They have an ohm rating of 62. If the Apogee duet has an output of 30 ohms, would I still have to get a headphone amp?
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Big Beyerdynamics fan here...used Sony's for years for various tasks. Got a set of 880s and love them to death. Always check mixes on them, they're comfortable, and non-fatiguing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 Sennheiser HD-650
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I know, bash away, but I'm using Bose QC3 (Acoustic Noise Cancelling). Will these do the job well enough? What actually distinguishes MIXING headphones from others?

Jon
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just bought a pair or Audio Technica ATH-M50s. The "s" is for straight chord - not coiled. I dig the straight chord a lot. Anyway, I first tried the Sennheiser HD280's but too light on the bottom end for me. Kick drums had no thump. The AT's are super flat - very little hype. But everything sounds true. Not too much sizzle on the top end - which I thought the 280's had. The 280's were flattering on the top but not real. And like I said, the bottom just wasn't there. Others have said that the ATH-M50's are like listening thru real good studio monitors and I have to agree. I have Dyn Audio BM15's and a Bryston 4B pushing them (along with a sub) and when I listen to mixes thru these AT's there are times I forget I have the headphones on. Very impressive cans and pretty comfy. $159 at Guitar Center. I also have Sony MDR 7506's and Sony MDR-7509's. I like these ATH-M50's better.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, I think that's the general consensus looking at the poll. Does anyone have any advice with my question about ohm ratings? I think the AT's have like...38, so it should be even less a problem. But then again, I don't know anything so any advice on this would be much appreciated. Going to pick up my Apogee Duet today!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wow!! Audio Technica's got votes

Don't know why but I thought they'd be way behind in the votes. I don't know if there the best. In fact, I'm pretty sure they aren't but, I think headphones are like good monitors, once you know them inside and out you can get good results from them, and I've had these baby's for a good four years now. The first year I hated them, or rather hated the way things sounded through other sources when I used them. But now I know what I'm getting from them. They are a bit worn now though, I may be in the market for a new set of cans in the near future. Sennheisers....hmmm.
Deleted 1a30a04
Grado RS-1's...

jeff
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Of Light ➑️
Going to pick up my Apogee Duet today!
YESSS. I love mine. Enjoy it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Of Light ➑️
I don't quite have $600 dollars to spend, and seeing as the sennheiser 600/650's are pretty expensive and would require me to get an amp, those are out.
FWIW, after doing some checking it looks like they don't actually cost $600. Still pricey at $350 but that's a substantial difference. They were far more expensive back when I last bought expensive headphones.

I'd still recommend an amp, even if it's something lower end like the Behringer stuff or some of the used stuff you'd find on ebay.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I own AKG 601, and am realy happy with them, i can really work on details, but still work need to be done with normal monitoring for a better translation in real world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Our clients bring their fav cans with them for tracking --really liked the Ultrasone --and the early Stax electrostatics ( way too $$) that we have had the chance to give a try

We usually reach for a pair of AT or AKG
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the ATH-M50 phones. Very nice. And yes, real flat. I feel like I can trust them.

But I'm in the market myself for another pair to complement them. I'm really thinking Sennheiser 600, but see that the 595 pair are more than $100 cheaper, don't require a separate amp, but are virtually identical in quality and character to the 600 set. Is this true?

I'll be driving them with the headphone out on my Alesis iO/26, which is 32 Ohms (but 32 to 600 "Load impedance range"; and the Line-Level Outputs are 220 Ohms).

Anyone recommend the Senn 595 phones?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsays ➑️
YESSS. I love mine. Enjoy it...
Just plugged it in. It's like I'm listening to music for the first time heh Ok maybe an overstatement, but this thing is really great.thumbsup
I can't wait to record with it!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
HD 280 pro im lost with out em........crank em up high you will get a good mix i promise
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anybody tried the SPL Phonitor (if it's available yet)? I use a plug-in that I made that does the same thing, cross-feeding a slightly delayed signal with the high end rolled out. I have a pair of Sampson phones and I mix at home with them and the plug-in quite often. I rarely have any issues, but I'm pretty familiar with the sound of the phones.

Mixing in phones without something like the Phonitor or my plug would be hard, as panning is too extreme, and the high end always seems too harsh to me.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Denon AH-D5000
Sennheiser HD 600
AKG K 271 Studio
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser HD 600's here, can't complain.

Would like to try out the Sony stuff, though, before I tout these Senn's as the "best" mixing HP's.

But they are very open and I can even fool myself into thinking I am listening my Genelecs, by bringing the speakers up so that I can barely hear them in the background.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
+1 for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I really had to, I could mix on my Sennheiser HD600s.

Of course if I really "had to" I could mix off my iMac's internal speakers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SENNHEISER Try a few models out. Great company.
GT.https://gearspace.com/board/images/smilies/nu/404.gif
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've said it on other posts and at the risk of repetition I'll say it again - the ATH-M50s, at least the ones I have, are impressive in the bottom end and mis-leadingly flat in the mids i.e. they make everything sound too good and don't tell the real story. Whilst that is initially very impressive it is not a good option in the long term and particularly dubious for making mix decisions (IMHO of course).
They are also not particularly comfy and get a little sweaty IME.

I will say the 650s I auditioned were a class act even above the AKG 701s and the Senny 600s.
The diff between the Senny 600 and 650's was a more coherent soundstage for mine.
No experience with Grados / Ultrasone etc.

Why did I buy them? - forum recommendations such as this; at the end of the day you definitely need to listen to the contenders for yourself.

Cheers, Ross
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
from what i've read here on gearslutz, the dt770 should be on that list
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I really dig my DT 990's. Everyone knows that headphones are not the best way to go for mixing if you have monitors at your disposal, but if I had to mix on headphones I'd be glad I had these.

Ridiculously comfortable!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
AKG 701s and Grado SA80s..

The AKGs are just so damn refined any sonic nasties really do stand out, one caveat, they need a decent phones socket or an amp to do them justice. The Grados are excellent as a *jobbing pair* for checking out, just what the masses will hear.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi, there! I'm a newbie too, hehe.

I happen to own both the Apogee Duet and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I love them both!

I can't say that the 'phones (didn't vote) since I haven't tried others but I'm really happy with them. I can wear them for hours and they still stay comfortable. The sound, of course, is great too.

So, I won't say they're the best, but, to me, they're definitely really good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just picked up a set of Sennheiser HD 595's this afternoon... breakin' 'em in right now. Went with these instead of the 600's or 650's because of the 50 ohm impedance... I run my cans right off my Fireface 400. Gotta say right from the get go even with them not burned in yet that I can now see why all my guitars, especially overdriven medium to high gain ones, that I mixed on my HD 280 Pro's I never liked. The 595's kind of threw me at first... sounded almost too thick in the upper bass and lower mids and kind of dead in the lower treble frequencies... then I realized that's because I'm used to the HD 280's which I now realize are weak in the mid bass/lower mid and a bit harsh in the mid treble frequencies (maybe harsh isn't the word, hyped maybe). The 595's sound more like my monitors and house stereo speakers which were always more "laid bacK" as they say and fuller in the mid bass than the 280's. I should have trusted the monitors more than the cans when I did those guitars (which I didn't because they're not really true "monitors" per say and I usually just use them along with my sub to check the bottom end).

Will be interesting to hear how these 595's turn out after burn in. They certainly don't seem to be built as sturdy as the 280's so I'll have to be careful with 'em. The cable is kind of thin too, doesn't look like it can be changed. They sound nice though so far. Will be interesting to hear how my guitars translate now. I can hear things I never noticed before and they are really showing me how bad my past stuff sounds and I can tell that they'll force me to "do better" from now on.

The HD 280 Pro's are still great (actually a must because they're closed) for tracking though and will still get lots of use.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
AKG K240DFs... I find if you HAVE to mix in cans... these will get you pretty close. Too bad they are discontinued, and NOS are getting harder to find.

i'm actually fine with the originals. but most flavors of those cans are reliable for me.

...as close to flat as i've heard.

so, ok - flat in cans means exaggerated bass...i'm used to it...heh

πŸ“ Reply