Quantcast
Lavry AD11? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lavry AD11?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lavry AD11?

I see now there is a DA11. Is there soon to be a AD11? And if so what will the new features be?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My guess is that it'll have a USB output at least. I have no idea when it'll come out...maybe Mr. Lavry will post here. I can't wait for the inevitable shootout between their stuff and Benchmark's ADC1USB/DAC1USB.
Old 7th February 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory ➑️
I see now there is a DA11. Is there soon to be a AD11? And if so what will the new features be?
I believe the features in the DA11 are more geared to the headphone hi-fi guys... I don't think they have much of a need for an AD.

Plus, the AD10 hasn't even been on the market for a year yet.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I believe the features in the DA11 are more geared to the headphone hi-fi guys... I don't think they have much of a need for an AD.

Plus, the AD10 hasn't even been on the market for a year yet.
The DA11 is a DA, not an AD.

The DA11 has a number of improvments over the DA10. The three main new features are:

1. USB interface for people that want a direct computer connection. It supoorts 24bits, upto 96KHz, requires no software driver download, works on PC's and MACs.

2. The unit is remote control ready for use with any universal remote control.

3. The >PiC< (TM) feature offers the user playback image control. That is indeed very usefull to make headphone listning closer to the intended image (made at the mixing and mastering facility). But the >PiC< is also for "electronic adjustment" of speaker placment at a listning enviornment.

Many people do not need all 3 features. Some wanted a remote, others wanted a direct computer connection.... I added the >PiC<. One can choose which features to use.

Regards
Dan Lavry

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lavry ➑️
The DA11 is a DA, not an AD.
I realize that. The person was asking if you were going to be releasing an AD11...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I realize that. The person was asking if you were going to be releasing an AD11...
Hi Tony,

I do not have any plans to make an AD11 soon. I may do so in the future.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd only think an AD11 would be worth the effort if it involves a breakthrough in sound, meaning performance that would equal the $5K plus units...its that possible? Have we reached the pinnacle of conversion and it don't get any betta?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Loving my Ad-10 Dan! BTW, I would not mind if you hold off on the Ad-11 because Im still getting acquainted with features on the AD-10.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier ➑️
I'd only think an AD11 would be worth the effort if it involves a breakthrough in sound, meaning performance that would equal the $5K plus units...its that possible? Have we reached the pinnacle of conversion and it don't get any betta?
The short answer is - given enough time, I can always improve my designs. However is is not always easy. It takes much time and focus.

At this point, I am a bit concerned about the future. I see much of the electronics industry getting it's focus narrower, around products of mass production, such as computing, small portable devices (cell phones, audio players and alike...) That is where the volume production is, so it is understandable that the research and development money, and certainly component manufacturing is aimed at high volume products.

Meanwhile, some of the devices used for high end audio are disappearing. A manufacturer simply may not have the incentive to make low volume product.

One can make an audio device to work on say a 1.5V battery. But one can not make a good audio performance from a 1.5V source. Yet, there is a lot of "market pressure" to "integrate" audio into various processing that "fits" into such mess production applications.

Digital electronics has been going to lower and lower voltages (for good reasons). Add to it battery operated gear (also low voltage), and you end up with "tons of" new low voltage, low current and low power analog that is not anywhere near in quality (performance) the older parts.

Let me focus on one example (though there are very many more examples):

I see a lot of new low voltage "rail to rail" OPamps. That terminology leaves a lot to be desired. Rail to rail? Only if the load is infinite! I would call it "almost rail to rail for high impedance load". I have not seen anyone point out that inaccuracy of the "rail to rail" label. Why is it that?

The very large majority of electronics engineers specialize in computing type applications. That is where most of the action is. For a digital person, the term "rail to rail" is of little concern. For a serious analog type, rail to rail is an indication that the device maker is trying their best to let you get close to the rail, while forcing you to live with constraints that may be far from optimal for audio. There are fewer and fewer analog designers, while top notch conversion calls for top notch analog design.

So a big part of a converter designer effort is to just maintain the quality level of today. So far so good, but given what I said, I am concerned about the future. Electronics evolves rapidly, but when facing some "new market directions" and basic facts (physics), advancing the state of the art may require some revolutionary steps (not just evolutionary steps). What will the future bring? My crystal ball is not working very well.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Old 15th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lavry ➑️
The short answer is - given enough time, I can always improve my designs. However is is not always easy. It takes much time and focus.

At this point, I am a bit concerned about the future. I see much of the electronics industry getting it's focus narrower, around products of mass production, such as computing, small portable devices (cell phones, audio players and alike...) That is where the volume production is, so it is understandable that the research and development money, and certainly component manufacturing is aimed at high volume products.

Meanwhile, some of the devices used for high end audio are disappearing. A manufacturer simply may not have the incentive to make low volume product.

One can make an audio device to work on say a 1.5V battery. But one can not make a good audio performance from a 1.5V source. Yet, there is a lot of "market pressure" to "integrate" audio into various processing that "fits" into such mess production applications.

Digital electronics has been going to lower and lower voltages (for good reasons). Add to it battery operated gear (also low voltage), and you end up with "tons of" new low voltage, low current and low power analog that is not anywhere near in quality (performance) the older parts.

Let me focus on one example (though there are very many more examples):

I see a lot of new low voltage "rail to rail" OPamps. That terminology leaves a lot to be desired. Rail to rail? Only if the load is infinite! I would call it "almost rail to rail for high impedance load". I have not seen anyone point out that inaccuracy of the "rail to rail" label. Why is it that?

The very large majority of electronics engineers specialize in computing type applications. That is where most of the action is. For a digital person, the term "rail to rail" is of little concern. For a serious analog type, rail to rail is an indication that the device maker is trying their best to let you get close to the rail, while forcing you to live with constraints that may be far from optimal for audio. There are fewer and fewer analog designers, while top notch conversion calls for top notch analog design.

So a big part of a converter designer effort is to just maintain the quality level of today. So far so good, but given what I said, I am concerned about the future. Electronics evolves rapidly, but when facing some "new market directions" and basic facts (physics), advancing the state of the art may require some revolutionary steps (not just evolutionary steps). What will the future bring? My crystal ball is not working very well.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Well i want to know the difference between the lavry blue and the DA11 in sound quality?
Can i connect the lavry blue or gold direct to my pc without any other interface to use nuendo

Peace...
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
perhaps a AD10B? -exactly the same with a usb added?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dref ➑️
Well i want to know the difference between the lavry blue and the DA11 in sound quality?
Can i connect the lavry blue or gold direct to my pc without any other interface to use nuendo

Peace...
Its not an audio interface. I think you would need some kind of card like RME and then connect digitally to the blue.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmeister ➑️
perhaps a AD10B? -exactly the same with a usb added?
my thoughts exactly
Old 4th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dref ➑️

Peace...
The LavryBlue DA and DA11 are very similar in the over-all sound. If you have them set up in a carefully controlled A-B situation, with good monitors, a discriminating listener may be able to pick out some minor differences. But the over-all character of the sound is much closer than if you were to compare either one to another brand of converter.

The DA11 does offer the option of "direct connection" to a Windows PC or Macintosh computer with USB, so you don't need an additional soundcard or Firewire/USB audio interface to use it with virtually any audio software.
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
lavry's are awesome.
Old 20th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The LavryBlack AD11 is now in production. Due to the overwhelming demand, all of the AD11’s manufactured in the first production run have been sold.

Lavry Engineering is currently taking orders and expects to begin shipping AD11’s in quantity early in June 2011.

With features like USB output and Line or Microphone inputs, the AD11 is a great choice for location recording or studio work. With its no-compromise design, the AD11 maintains the highest quality throughout the Line level gain range, while the built-in microphone preamplifiers offer performance exceeding that of many stand-alone micpre units.

For more information, please visit www.lavryengineering.com
Old 27th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavrytech ➑️
The LavryBlack AD11 is now in production.
This is great news - see I knew it was coming as I obviously have my finger on the pulse of the industryheh. Can't wait for the comparison reviews of the pre.
Old 16th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why does this guy get no hype, love, and attention? I love my da10. Can someone talk me into buying an ad11? Doesn't seem like very many around here have used it.....
πŸ“ Reply