Quantcast
Mic choice- Recording a saw - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic choice- Recording a saw
Old 6th February 2009
Mic choice- Recording a saw

So I want to lay down some tracks of a metal saw doing those ghostly sounds with a bow or mallet. Looked through GS didn't find anything about it, anyone have any experience with such a thing?

I figure I can throw on a small condenser and it'll get the job done fine, but lets see what others have to sayheh
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The only possible way to accomplish this is with two U47's in ORTF in a minimum 1500 sq. ft. room. Run through a Great River or Manley pre > SSL G > Fairchild and then into RADAR. EQ with GML only. Anything less is beneath you and not worth doing. Sell your woman if you have to.

Ha Ha. But seriously, it's such an odd sound that I'm sure any decent equipment you have will make a good recording of a SAW. Maybe a LDC a couple of feet away (3-5) to catch some ambience and ghostly echo? I don't know 'cause it's a saw, y'know?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I actually tried recording one of these before... the ROOM was actually real important to the sound... it didn't quite have the sound we wanted in the small room we usually recorded in, so we tracked it in a concrete stairwell and it sounded awesome...

I used a pair of sdc's (i think they were cheap Samson's) in a coiincident pair... got a great natural reverb from the stairwell which really made the sound full and ethereal....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
You jest......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Schnickens ➑️
The only possible way to accomplish this is with two U47's in ORTF in a minimum 1500 sq. ft. room. Run through a Great River or Manley pre > SSL G > Fairchild and then into RADAR. EQ with GML only. Anything less is beneath you and not worth doing. Sell your woman if you have to.

Ha Ha. But seriously, it's such an odd sound that I'm sure any decent equipment you have will make a good recording of a SAW. Maybe a LDC a couple of feet away (3-5) to catch some ambience and ghostly echo? I don't know 'cause it's a saw, y'know?
You jest.........

actually my best saw recording came from a wunder cm7 into a great river!

cheers,
nomatic

HIDEOUT STUDIOS :: AUSTIN.TX
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I might consider a ribbon. To take the edge off.
Founder

Before I die I want to play a recognizable tune on a saw..

I can already get a comedy 'rising' sound out of one with my hands by banging my thumb against the saw and bending it.. but I want to move my saw skills up a level..

its on my life's ambition list...

OK and now....back to the records..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How about a Woodpecker?

A ribbon might not be a bad way to go.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️

I can already get a comedy 'rising' sound out of one with my hands by banging my thumb against the saw and bending it.. but I want to move my saw skills up a level..

its on my life's ambition list...

OK and now....back to the records..
I heard a great little saw ensemble way back when, early seventies, I'm pretty sure. There were two journeymen saw players doing support and a master player doing the lead melodic work.

It was truly ethereal... I'd heard some novelty saw players on TV when I was a kid, and some were pretty fun, but this was different. It was beautiful.

They played Claire de Lune... it sounded a little like the best of a theremin crossed with a glass harmonica (water harmonica).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
LOL, wow I can't figure out which responses are serious and which aren't.

And just to get it off my chest:

I think it depends on how much you want it to cut through the mix. heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I appreciated some of the groaner puns here... but my reminiscence was for real.

"Singing saw" acts were sort of a staple of the old talent cavalcade type variety shows -- but most relied on the improbability of someone bending a saw back and forth as it was bowed or played with soft mallets and playing some silly little tune.

It had never occurred to me that someone could make really beautiful music with one.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Hey guy's thanks for the response, I may try out the ribbon,have a friend who will loan l me a woodpecker,don't have the luxury of two 47's or a great river pre at my disposal,but a man can dream

anyways, awesome you got a kick out of the post jules, seems as though I've made you a quote worthy signature! sweet.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'll concede that the saw player I recorded was far from an expert, but it was not a loud sound at all. If you're going to want any kind of distance, I think you'll probably need to go with condensers to get enough level without a lot of operating noise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I recorded a group that travels around in an old school bus doing songs from the Civil War and such. We needed a saw at the end of a song so we recorded it in the studios kitchen area with an AEA R84 ribbon. Turned out pretty darn good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just did an Album with a Johnny Cash Musical Ensemble and we
used an AEA R84 on the saw....

Edit: .... we used a GML8304 as a pre

Sounded great
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I"ve recorded my friend who plays saw a few times. The first couple of times we used a 414EB in omni a few feet above it (I think through a shadow hills GAMA but don't remember for sure), perfectly useable results.

The last time we tried just last weekend we used the AEA R84 into a GML pre in the same position and I really liked it. The ribbon definitely tamed some harshness (especially the bow noise). I you have a real plate reverb I highly suggest giving it a good dose of that with a pretty long decay.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice, someone else recomended the same mic while I was typing my post

Edit: and the same pre, that's kinda creepy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes, experience here both as a player and recorder of the saw, says use a ribbon and give it/them a little distance to avoid the noise of the bow against the edge of the saw -- there's a fair amount of bow rosin involved in generating the sound... good luck have fun...
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So odd to see this thread on GS, as I've found myself doing quite a bit of saw recording myself. My girlfriend is a budding saw-ist, started on a $5 DIY store one before I bought her a proper Mussel and Westphal one for Christmas. She was able to get a good sound on the DIY saw, but hearing the proper one that's been built to be played is like night and day.

I've come to follow a technique of 2 ribbons in Blumlein about 2-3 feet away at knee height, with a SDC about 2 foot over the top of it. I've come to the conclusion that saws, like cymbals, expend most of their sound energy directly up and down from their surface, so the SDC in that position combined with the ribbons gives me a sound that I like.

Don't have any files to hand right now, but if I get a chance I'll post a couple on here later. Good luck with it thought, it's a great sound.

Have a gander at this as well:
YouTube - Cello y sierra en Delicatessen
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Use a DI.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I heard a great little saw ensemble way back when, early seventies, I'm pretty sure. There were two journeymen saw players doing support and a master player doing the lead melodic work.

It was truly ethereal... I'd heard some novelty saw players on TV when I was a kid, and some were pretty fun, but this was different. It was beautiful.

They played Claire de Lune... it sounded a little like the best of a theremin crossed with a glass harmonica (water harmonica).
You heard a saw? Perhaps if there were several of them you saw a herd.

Sorry.

FWIW, I recorded a pretty good sawist (sawyer?) with a 121 through a Demeter tube pre and was happy with the results. Sounds sort of like a Theremin. A plate style reverb was really nice on it.

Not too close, though, or the cutting high end could be a problem.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Home town band Jackyl recorded their chainsaw on many Albums, saw those guys live....what energy, I saw those guys saw the ceilings out of clubs to walking in a restaurant in Atlanta and sawing the food table to pieces while they were getting signed by Geffen Records, and yes it was the Geffen guys eating at the table/
Jackyl - Band Website
Attached Thumbnails
Mic choice- Recording a saw-ky_6.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Brigid Kaelin out of Louisville, KY is a great saw player. I've seen her play it a few times on the road, with Peter Searcy, straight into a 58 (although I would agree the ribbon would be a lot better). I don't know if there's any on her page or not but here's the link:http//www.myspace.com/brigidkaelin

Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
that saw picture, quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
πŸ“ Reply