Quantcast
Do you need an amazing signal chain to get the quality of bands like Paramore's Riot? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you need an amazing signal chain to get the quality of bands like Paramore's Riot?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcd32 ➡️
what happens when im the one doing all of that....melodyning, drumagoging, etc

so its just up to me the producer/AE to make it sound "that" way?
yup. number one asset - knowledge.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow this thread
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
didnt want this to turn into flame paramore... or ben
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the ace enders and this providence stuff doesn't really sound that good. paramore on the other hand is good, but super crushed. a lot of these new bands depend 100% on the studio to make them sound good, sad days.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
trust me, i hear that....hahaha my old band sounded great in the studio....want to know why? the guitarist +drummer i let in my band couldnt play their parts until the 200th take of c/ping parts together....it was like an abomination of music.....

note to self...no more bad musicians in your band

Did you hear This Providence's self titled album???
Not the myspace quality...
the real cd....i really enjoyed it and its quality... along with performance which they could pull off live..

-evan
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskycouldfly ➡️
the ace enders and this providence stuff doesn't really sound that good. paramore on the other hand is good, but super crushed. a lot of these new bands depend 100% on the studio to make them sound good, sad days.
crikey yes - My Chemical Romance - god example of exactly that. There random thrashing work on CD - but ruddy awful and unintelligible live.... Saw Paramore and SBSW a few years ago - seemed alright live. Not my bag - as you know - but handle it live. Well SHE does.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Totally agree!

Paramore is super crushed and I agree with all the comments about this "fake " sound you speak of.
What the hell was I thinking!!
So, to celebrate my ditching of that compression squishy sound I have got back to my roots and I am now really into this new sound. Hope you like it.
This is David Dynamo, "cruisin round the planets" fresh off the sony quarter inch at 15ips 170 nano,
enjoy.

p.s. mixed not mastered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskycouldfly ➡️
Attached Files

Cruisin Round the plantets.mp3 (698.7 KB, 222 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer ➡️
Paramore is super crushed and I agree with all the comments about this "fake " sound you speak of.
So, to celebrate my ditching of that compression squishy sound I have got back to my roots and I am now really into this new sound. Hope you like it.
This is David Dynamo, "cruisin round the planets" fresh off the sony quarter inch at 15ips 170 nano,
enjoy.

p.s. mixed not mastered.

WHAT? there wasnt enough compression on that album heh

🎧 10 years
Quote:
enjoy.

p.s. mixed not mastered.
numbnuts.

Thing is - for me at least - I just don't like that hypercompressed sound. You did it. Yup - sold a lot. And for that - well done. Doesn't mean to say that those of us who DON'T subscribe to that sound have to like it. So as much as I admire your success and congratulate you on it - on the evidence of what I've heard I don't like what you do.

You can do what you want ! Obviously! It's not fake sound - but don't expect everyone to like it. I get criticised for my soundtrack techniques - I pretty much NEVER record the strings with the rest of the instruments ... but that's how I see it. And "super crushed" is how you saw Paramore.....and THAT sound instantly stops ME liking them. As I say - liked them live - but can't bear the CD.....Although I will agree that it all comes down to my own subjective taste...you can't please all the people !! - but it appears you can please a great deal of them. Isn't that enough?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
wow

Your post sounds like a confessional, why do you record the strings separately? Thought YOU would like the bleed.

Sometimes you make records for people that actually buy them. Lets hear some soundtracks you did, maybe you can post some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
numbnuts.

Thing is - for me at least - I just don't like that hypercompressed sound. You did it. Yup - sold a lot. And for that - well done. Doesn't mean to say that those of us who DON'T subscribe to that sound have to like it. So as much as I admire your success and congratulate you on it - on the evidence of what I've heard I don't like what you do.

You can do what you want ! Obviously! It's not fake sound - but don't expect everyone to like it. I get criticised for my soundtrack techniques - I pretty much NEVER record the strings with the rest of the instruments ... but that's how I see it. And "super crushed" is how you saw Paramore.....and THAT sound instantly stops ME liking them. As I say - liked them live - but can't bear the CD.....Although I will agree that it all comes down to my own subjective taste...you can't please all the people !! - but it appears you can please a great deal of them. Isn't that enough?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
enjoy.

p.s. mixed not mastered.
Sounds like you ripped off arctic monkeys sound dude. Bring the drums up a bit so it drowns the vocal, post it on myspace then sample that playing through some behringer truths down a long hallway with a single c1000 THEN send it to mastering. Metallica that SOB like Rick Rubin

BTW DB the production on riot was incredible and the thread where you discussed it was great.

Some people don't like certain things. U2 imho writes and produces generic sounding crap. If we didn't like different things we would lose our sense of identity. Roll with it bitches.

OP - Read the thread which DB talks about the recording. The house of loud crew did an amazing job. The signal chain did not hurt but have a listen to some 90's stuff that sounds incredible and probably passed through ADATs that no one would touch these days. Don't be jiving.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Your post sounds like a confessional, why do you record the strings separately? Thought YOU would like the bleed.

Sometimes you make records for people that actually buy them. Lets hear some soundtracks you did, maybe you can post some?
sounds like someone doesn't like criticism !! ... well no-one does I guess. PMed ya for my email life's sake...

I understand your "sometimes you make records for people that buy them" and if that works for you then cool. It doesn't work for me - just ask Little Fish (Custard/Universal) !! I make records for the people making them... but that's my realm. I'm not a pop man ! Anyway - all good.
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Paramore cd "Riot" is a honest representation of what they are ... young and full of lots of energy. I would think it would be odd if the record was compressed like a Norah Jones record. I dig the way it sounds and is perfect for the band and this particular time in their career . I think a great producer or mixer will look at a band and not put their stamp on them but rater look at what they do and expand on it and make them the best band they can be (whatever it takes to get there). Paramores first cd "all we know is falling" which i took a listen to is not bad but not exciting and and energetic as riot it. all bet they didnt have as good production and mixing on it. but i think you will all agree if you listen to them both the newer cd fits them more and screams high energy rock band all the kids who buy the CDS dig in 2009. I personaly dont listen to So much female fronted rock bands but this band stuck out to me as being one of the cooler new ones that have something new to offer ..stuck out to me at least.

Kudos to David on the riot cd. its very easy for people to hate on forums when they havent done anything that quite matched the success of the Riot CD . Jealousy is bad. This site is a great place ..lets keep it that way. being positive goes along way!
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_Drew ➡️
Sounds like you ripped off arctic monkeys sound dude. Bring the drums up a bit so it drowns the vocal, post it on myspace then sample that playing through some behringer truths down a long hallway with a single c1000 THEN send it to mastering. Metallica that SOB like Rick Rubin

BTW DB the production on riot was incredible and the thread where you discussed it was great.

Some people don't like certain things. U2 imho writes and produces generic sounding crap. If we didn't like different things we would lose our sense of identity. Roll with it bitches.

OP - Read the thread which DB talks about the recording. The house of loud crew did an amazing job. The signal chain did not hurt but have a listen to some 90's stuff that sounds incredible and probably passed through ADATs that no one would touch these days. Don't be jiving.
Have i miss read this? Critizing David, claiming he's ripped of Artic Monkeys, who sound NOTHING like paramore, then say the production on Riot! is amazing?

xcx
📝 Reply