Quantcast
Recording footstomps and handclaps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording footstomps and handclaps
Old 6th February 2009
Recording footstomps and handclaps

I'm trying to record some big footstomps and handclaps for a song, and I want sort of a "bunch of people in a barn" vibe. What is the best way to record foot stomps? PZM microphones the floor? Strapping some hardback books to musicians feet?

I have 3-4 people recording at a time, and I'd like to do the footstomps and handclaps at the same time, I'm just unsure where to place the microphones. I'm sure with hand claps a stereo pair capturing the room and not the initial hand contact is the idea, but footstomps seem to be a different story. I'll probably grab a couple 2x4s for good measure
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Take some 2x4s and plywood and build a small riser.. put a mic underneath.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had good results recording foot stomps with people stomping up on a drum riser with the mic underneath it. I also like to track claps with 1 mic in omni and people circling it...
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh, and as for handclaps - have at least one person smack a couple of pieces of flat wood together (recorded separately) and mix that in with the handclaps.
Hmm...I'm not sure I'll be able to get the materials to build a drum riser in a day, but I'll try to figure it out. That makes a lot of sense.

If I can't do the drum riser, any other suggestions?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Under a front porch if you don't mind the ambient noise.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Make sure they're wearing vintage sneakers if you're going for that old school sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've just done this a song for a sports programme.

They wanted the sound of a bunch of rugby players in their boots warming up in the change room while the audience was cheering them on outside.

3-4 guys at a time wore boots and stomped on the concrete floor in the out building in time to the music, I then rigged a mic in omni and placed it down the corridor between the studio and the neighboring business to use the natural reverb (my studio is built in a brewery built back in 1899, lots of steel and concrete, ceiling height it around 24 feet).

Sounds great, tracked it 4 times, 3-4 'players' at a time, added a few extra tracks of whistles and other chants and noises, mixed on top of a blend from 'real' stadium noise, turned out great.

Matt
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
God bless you for not asking: "Where can I find some great free sampled foot stomps and hand claps?".
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hardwood floor, variety of shoes, LDC mic pointed at the floor, do it 8 times and you have a croud. Make sure to have variations, as in, not the same person doing it in the same way each time.

Then use the same mic (or change it if you are not lazy) and clap in different places in the room. Same idea.

If you want it to sound like it is in a barn, mooooo into the mic a few times!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…