Quantcast
When Sampling a drum kit how many samples do u record? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When Sampling a drum kit how many samples do u record?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
When Sampling a drum kit how many samples do u record?

I ask this because we recorded a bunch of drum tracks at my local studio and at the end of the session i went out for a smoke whilst the drummer and co-engineer were recording the samples and to my stoopidness i didnt bother to check how many samples they had recorded till i got home to my mixing setup and to my disbeleif saw they only recorded 3 samples per drum...i can live with this for most of the shells but not the snare! 1 out of the3 samples was usable! of course these samps were to be used for sample replacement and now i got to go through my library which i didnt want to have to do...as i wud of rather have the original snare samp so it blended nicley with the room mics.

so how many do u guys standardly record?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamproof ➡️
I ask this because we recorded a bunch of drum tracks at my local studio and at the end of the session i went out for a smoke whilst the drummer and co-engineer were recording the samples and to my stoopidness i didnt bother to check how many samples they had recorded till i got home to my mixing setup and to my disbeleif saw they only recorded 3 samples per drum...i can live with this for most of the shells but not the snare! 1 out of the3 samples was usable! of course these samps were to be used for sample replacement and now i got to go through my library which i didnt want to have to do...as i wud of rather have the original snare samp so it blended nicley with the room mics.

so how many do u guys standardly record?
5 usually

Snare first, turn snares off, then rest of drums
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
several hits on each, at maybe 3 different velocities - plus rimshots usually.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
several hits on each, at maybe 3 different velocities - plus rimshots usually.
Same here. I also have the drummer switch hands for a couple hits on the snare, just for good measure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good thread. Here's how I do it:

I have 3 gog files: hard, med, and soft.

Hard gog: about 12 very similar sounding hits at hard rimshot velocities. These get used in the steady parts of the song. I don't use these on rolls. Sometimes on the flams.

Med gog: about 12 very similar sounding medium-soft rimshot velocities. These gets used on rolls, fills, flams, and any soft part of the song that doesn't need a full velocity hit.

Soft gog: about 5 or 6 soft hits, no rimshot. These get used on rolls and soft parts.

I record my drumagoged track and I toggle to the gog I need based on what the drummer is playing. Then consolidate and slide the track back to compensate for the latency.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
interesting answers.... i like the gog idea.....i tend to use NI Battery and use the random sample selector between the samps. I'm guessing drumagog does this aswell.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…