Best guitar amp for a commercial sound - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar amp for a commercial sound
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

THIS!

Fryette Amplification

You can dial in so many high class tones! It use to be the VHT SIG X
SIG X meaning "Your Signature Here" I have been so happy with it in the studio. Everything I have ever wanted in an amp because I can get the sound out of my head through this amp. A lot of amps stop when I want more control.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc ➑️
Beat me to it.

Seriously, for the 'modern' guitar sound:

Line 6 POD or some other digital modeling effects multipedal like boss ME50
Then run it DI. done. Spend the rest of the $2000 you saved on a vacation or a different piece of gear youve got your eyes on.
you mean for a real crap guitar sound
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra ➑️
THIS!

Fryette Amplification

You can dial in so many high class tones! It use to be the VHT SIG X
SIG X meaning "Your Signature Here" I have been so happy with it in the studio. Everything I have ever wanted in an amp because I can get the sound out of my head through this amp. A lot of amps stop when I want more control.
great amp but alot more than what he want's to spend
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey ➑️
These are a great option. Bruce Egnater also makes his own chassis and modules, each of which have two channels, IIRC.

The Tourmaster has a rep for being plagued with quality issues, might want to check into that before purchasing.
I saw some negative comments on the web, but these things are so new how can anyone know?. Most of the comments I saw were people not liking the sound, which after playing it would mean they don't know how to dial in a sound. I was very impressed with the tones I was able to get, enough that I'm thinking about picking one up next month. What scares me about them is they're ungodly heavy and I'm sure it's all pc board so it won't be as tough as anything point to point.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Beat me to it.

Then run it DI. done. Spend the rest of the $2000 you saved on a vacation or a different piece of gear youve got your eyes on.
More lika lazy guitar sound...

but seriously, are this working for you guys, can you make it survive in a mix
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma ➑️
More lika lazy guitar sound...

but seriously, are this working for you guys, can you make it survive in a mix
George Pittaway's EZrollguitar clips for this video were all recorded with a Pod, so it depends on the guitar and the player and the style of music.

YouTube - Guitar Tricks: Hybrid Picking Fingerstyle Guitar Solos
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➑️
George Pittaway's EZrollguitar clips for this video were all recorded with a Pod, so it depends on the guitar and the player and the style of music.

YouTube - Guitar Tricks: Hybrid Picking Fingerstyle Guitar Solos

Oh yeah, i totally agree, some sounds work excellent with PODs
I was kinda assuming we where talking about HiGain stuff for some reason.

I really dont feel that clip changing my views on PODs having a hard time fitting into a mix. Guitars sound mostly pretty bad, there are no vocals and the mixing is quick and sloppy at best.
Great playing tho thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 on the Randall MTS modular system. I have the RM100, and it gets chosen quite a bit out of my guitar amp collection, and it definitely holds it's own against pretty good company.

1965 Sears Silvertone 1483 Head and Cab
1976 Marshall Mark IV 50 watt
1976 Ampeg V-4B
1970's Vox AC-30
1998 Marshall JCM 2000
2007 Randall RM100 with Plexi, SL 800 +, and Ultra preamp modules
1994 Marshall 1960A (slant) cabinet

I also got mine for $800, with the three preamp modules, on the MTS forums, where people trade out the preamps and share easy mods for them.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➑️
great amp but alot more than what he want's to spend
He can get a new one for $2000

or a used one for about $1600
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have been using a Laney Lionheart L5T. Its 5 watts class A with a tried and true greenback celestion providing a very versatile sound. Do a search for my review. Seriously, this amp puts smiles on everyone that tries it.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Beat me to it.

uh.... you aren't a guitar player or engineer are you??
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lots of good suggestions. Consider a head and cabinet. Great when you have the head in the control room and the cabinet in the iso booth. Then the guitarist can be in the control room if he wants when he's laying down his parts. It's an option that really comes in handy. Out of all my amps I have only combos and sooo many times I wished I had a separate amp and cab. At some point I'm going for it. Lots of times I am - as a producer - creating tracks for someone to sing to. I play the guitar parts and sitting in my chair in front of the computer because I'm the engineer too. GOT to wear a lot of hats nowadays. I would love to be able to easily tweak the amp from there while listening to the track through the studio speakers. Just a thought to keep in mind while you're narrowing down your purchase.

🎧 15 years
Great thread guys.

If you can get a used DSL 2000, that's a good start. They sell used for around $600. The classic gain channel is good for clean to hard rhythms, the high gain channel is not the best but can work sometimes. And then maybe grab a used 2 channel daul rec. There's a few rack versions on eBay for around $1100, that is a great amp. Those 2 amps will cover a lot of ground for 2K.

The Orange is a decent amp but not the most relevant sounding midrange IMO. Marshall/Boogie is THE sound of most rock these days.

And if you add to the list a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal for around $120, that will give you an extra added dimension of heaviness.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Fulltone OCD. Huge +1 on that. That pedal is an amp all in itself. My cousin played a gig over the weekend with a Carr Rambler and OCD and said - fugetaboutit! It was the bomb!
Hall of fame of pedals - no doubt about it!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go for the Dual retifier and mesa cab - that can sort you out with a serious amount of sounds, and I think offers a more modern sound than marshall.

marshall stuff is good for an aggressive midrange sound, but I can generally get mesa amps to sound 'bigger' in most situations. may be worth investing in a tubescreamer (or other pedal) to run in front of the amp - it will shave off the excess lows and highs and tighten up the sound a ton. i can't use a rectifier without one, at least for a high gain sound.

rectifiers have so many knobs and switches, as well as the active EQ that will leave you with a ton of options. marshalls tend to be very much 'one sound', as with orange amps.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
bogner shiva!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➑️
uh.... you aren't a guitar player or engineer are you??
Actually I'm both.
Its a knock on what I hear as the 'modern' guitar sound.
To me 'modern' = simulation / digital / overcompressed / lifeless.
'Classic' on the other hand = all those amps and goodies eveyone else is talking about.
Semantics.
that being said, good players with good project material can certainly make useful tracks with pods and such. And average players with average material can make poopy sounding tracks with the best gear.....of course you know that tho.
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Marshall Amps :: Handwired thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sands ➑️
Lots of good suggestions. Consider a head and cabinet.
thumbsup Seriously. Combos are just limiting, and are a real PITA. All that buzzing and rattling. Yeah, I know, the mic doesn't usually pic it up, but if I can hear it, it's got to be in there somewhere. And sometimes you need a 4x12 of Celestions, and other times you need a couple of EVM12L's in an open back 2x12. Being able to change cabinets is like getting a another whole amp sometimes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Class A" is a widely misunderstood and misused term in the field of guitar amps. The only class A amp named in this thread thus far would be the Laney Lionheart. Like a Fender Champ, it is class A because it can only be class A since it is single ended. Every other amp named here is a push pull class AB1 (commonly known as AB) amp; push pull amps can only be class A in very rare cases, because it means both sides must be biased full on for 100% of the wave cycle. AB1 power amp designs are not lower quality than A, it's just a different (and more efficient) approach.

Usually when people say class A what they mean is an EL84 amp in push-pull configuration with no negative feedback, along the general lines of an old UK Vox AC15 or AC30.

Here's a paper by Randall Aiken which is the gospel truth on the matter complete with O-scope money shots:

Is the Vox AC-30 really class A?

With respect to the OP, if you have a studio and need to cover a lot of ground, I would say a basic set of amps would be clean (Fender, usually), chimey/growly semi clean (EL84 along the lines of a Vox AC15 or AC30) or 6V6 like a tweed Fender, and master volume head with a sealed back cabinet able to do grindy bassy heavyness. I'm a serious amp junkie, but if I had to scale way back, it would be sort of like that except the clean would be an Ampeg B12X, the semi clean would be a 2 x 12 AC15, and the crunch rig would be lower wattage than you might guess, and it would be one of my oddball secret weapon amps; it would not have the tight low end that many players would want for that, but I don't need that sound myself.

For recording I do prefer separate heads and cabinets. Well, I guess I just prefer that in general as a matter of principle, but I've got combos that I would never part with. I gig with separates only.

Personally I own an Ampeg rackmount switching unit which was made for retailers to demonstrate bass heads and cabs; it's got two rotary switches, and you plug 8 heads and 8 cabinets in, and switch them to whatever combination you want to hear.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Fender amps come to mind, I have been playing a long long time nothing sounds as my strat with delta switch + Fender supersonic amp + sm57+ re20 + 512c..
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
one for all

hey there,
Marshall used to make decent amps (the old Jmp series and the early Jcm800) but went really awful and to be honest apart from one of the handwired series I wouldnt recommend getting any of their products.
Mesa boogie is great for that crisp, clear tone... the eqs on their amp is v effective and they usually have lots of different modes (the rectifier has got a modern,vintage and raw switch) and u can get just about any kind of tone... but... i always think they lack a bit of character. I like their big rectifier metal/rock sound but they'r almost too clean and define sometimes.
Orange make great amps too, I recently tried the tiny terror and was blown away not only by the price but the sound coming out of it too!! its nice that its only a 15 watts amp as well so u can really drive the speaker.
so i guess with ur kind of budget and the sort of music you want to record maybe you should think about a couple of combos maybe second hand. One for the metal stuff (you can find the mesa boogie rectifier for quite cheap at the moment, theyr not holding their value v well) and maybe get one of the more "vintage feel" low power amp like the tiny terror or also the amazing blackstar 5watts amp (check it out!)
If you'r going for the 2 amps option, try maybe to pick ones with different amp tubes (one with EL34 and one with 6L6 for example) because they really make a difference in the sound that ur gonna get.
hope this help
πŸ“ Reply