The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tricky next upgrade
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Tricky next upgrade

Dear forum,

I have a small setup that I have been trying to transform into something that won't need upgrading (like for like) for many years.

I'm fortunate enough to own a pair of K&H O300s, an LA610 MkII, a C414XLII and a Shure SM7B. My interface is a Presonus Firepod so of course this is the area I want to upgrade.

I mainly record single channel instruments and vocals, pop/rock style, so right now I simply don't need more than two channels of good conversion.

However I plan to leave apartment life in China within two years and at that point I will want to be able to track drums too.

I've been thinking long and hard about how to practically upgrade my studio for the best result with appx. 3K USD and have come up with three strategies:

1. Second hand UA2192 (via SPDIF to Firepod) + monitor controller such as SPL 2Control - High quality but limited functionality in terms of I/O for the future.

2. Aurora 8 + monitor controller as above (would require expensive additional interface card, either FW or AES, but gives me the ability to record drums in two years when I have suitable premises, without further extra spending. Is the 2192 so much better in the meantime?).

3. RME FF800 + monitor controller + a Chandler TG2 (or a Coles or AEA mic) - "lower quality" conversion but leaves me cash for a super sexy stereo pre or quality mic.

So I've come up with three fairly different options, but I'd like to know which you'd choose and why, as I've done so ,uch research I'm losing my sense of perspective! Of course any other ideas are most welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you only need to channels, get a good stereo converter like a multiface, or get a API A2D (With has API preamps in it). Both of those will run you underbudget and you can get some nice other things with it. When you want to start tracking drums, pick up an Onyx rack and ADAT that in. Or you should have a better interface by 2 years anyways.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey rackdude, many thanks for your thoughts.

Actually I'd not even noticed the multiface before, it looks very cool although from what I have seen it is 8 analog I/O and at a price point not far off my Presonus. I'm sure it would be a big improvement but I'd prefer to go the whole hog and get a definite and long term upgrade.

I have a deep desire for Chandler TG2, Germ etc but am concerned I won't be getting the full benefit without great conversion. Perhaps the RME is sufficient for my needs but I just don't know. All I can do is compare features and listen to opinions here.

I also looked at the API A2D but for some reason it doesn't gel immediately with my aesthetics. I don't see how you bypass the pres for one (although I'm sure you can), and also I don't need the API pres for now; although I know I will want them in 512C lunchbox or 3124+ form in the aforementioned future.

Definite food for thought though, much appreciated. Looking forward to any other points of view.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
So you want to upgrade your conversion and be able to record drums when you get the space?

2 Mytek 8x192 converters with FW cards...1 now and 1 later.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz โžก๏ธ
So you want to upgrade your conversion and be able to record drums when you get the space?

2 Mytek 8x192 converters with FW cards...1 now and 1 later.
It seems like an excellent unit but the Mytek (or two of them) would be a bit pricey for me, mainly because I won't be using the extra channels of conversion at all for a few years to come.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I go for cheaper multichannel conversion like the RME multiface/FF800, plus a TG2 to complement my LA610;

...or take the opportunity to get a 2192 now and leave extra pres and more channels for the future? Will I find that the Firepod is not flexible enough as an interface, as it has no software mixer for monitor mixes?

Thanks!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply