Quantcast
One room for all, band and engineer - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One room for all, band and engineer
Old 23rd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This might not work well for someone -- me being the someone -- who tends to talk to himself when he's working.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I started recording my guitars without headphones. Just cranking the drums and bass in my monitors and letting rip at loud volumes. Waaaaay better than headphones. It does take me longer to set up a mic for my cab having to track a bit, listen back and adjust, repeat, but I am getting way better guitar sounds now, and they don't need as much work. My playing is better as well.

I tracked in a studio a long time ago that had everything separated. I recorded my guitars with the amp in another room, and me in the control room listening to it all through the monitors. I hated it. Couldn't get into the music. Not to mention when I'd make a mistake, the band would come rushing in to let me know. When I tracked my backing vocal tracks, I was in another room, and everyone else was in the control room. Very uncomfortable. Sometimes after a take, I would sit there for a minute or two in silence waiting for someone to tell me what to do. This was a place where there was no glass by the way, so I couldn't even see the engineer. Very uncomfortable.

In the future, when I get another band together, I am certainly going into a studio with the one room setup. I understand the logistics of it are more difficult, but I also think that you can capture a much better performance this way, and it shows what the band is really made of as well.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but isn't Daniel Lanois' studio set up like that? I think that the board and such is just at one end of the room. It's hard to tell from the footage I've seen but I think that's the case.
Old 24th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I definately like the one-room setup, but that probably reflects the fact that I do mostly acoustic and Americana stuff that is recorded at fairly friendly levels. I have, though, recorded some pretty aggressive electric Blues bands, and find the one-room setting to have worked well for that Genre.

I'm a big fan of letting it bleed, and I like to be there with the band. I wonder if the fact that I cut my audio teeth running live sound has anything to do with it?
Old 13th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Big room Little room

I set up my basement as a big room for tracking and small room for mixing but didn't like it. Now it's a big room for mixing and tracking instruments and small room for an overdub booth or to isolate an annoyingly loud instrument or amp.

I'll take the better vibe over the poorer isolation.

This is for Jazz/Latin/Melodramatic Popular Song (whatever that is) and it works alright but I don't think it would work as well for noisier styles.
📝 Reply