Quantcast
Summing box & AD/DA question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summing box & AD/DA question
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Summing box & AD/DA question

I´m looking for upgrade for my cheap M-powered 1814 AD/DA converters and also summing box. My budjet would somewhere between 1000-2000€.

How does the connection go in this kind of setup? I´m a bit confused about bouncing mixes and the general work flow with this kind of setup. I use mainly PT 7.4.

Hit me up with some suggestions!

Thanks,
Jaakko
Old 6th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakkol ➡️
I´m looking for upgrade for my cheap M-powered 1814 AD/DA converters and also summing box. My budjet would somewhere between 1000-2000€.

How does the connection go in this kind of setup? I´m a bit confused about bouncing mixes and the general work flow with this kind of setup. I use mainly PT 7.4.

Thanks,
Jaakko
I have an Apogee DA16x that is connected to a Patch Bay in a 1/2 normal configuration to a passive summing mixer, so I can mix in stereo stems or mono, or whatever, [do splits and mults etc..] and then I use a very good sounding discrete preamplifier for make up gain, as passive summing knocks down the gain from the DA16x down about 40 DB. I've found that the magic happens when you bring it back up 40 DB with the preamp. When I am ready to re-record my 2-buss, I'll patch it into my Rosetta 200 AD, so I can record it back into Logic onto a stereo track. I also have a Coleman M3PH Monitor controller, which has a few stereo inputs, so I then patch the R200 DAC into another stereo input so that I can monitor the 2-track return post AD/DA conversion; I will then bounce the stereo track to a 16 Bit stereo file with dither, and I am happier than a pig rolling in slop at a slop farm. Rinse and repeat for best results.
Old 6th February 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakkol ➡️

Thanks,
Jaakko
I would suggest that that budget isn't really enough to get a decent summing amp setup. You could probably get 8 channels of good conversion, or a half reasonable summing box, but not both.

I'd get a great 2 channel converter and put the rest into improving the room. Then when budget allows, get a good analogue mixbuss chain...then look at summing.
📝 Reply