Quantcast
Why is the AKG D5 so cheap?!?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is the AKG D5 so cheap?!?!
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why is the AKG D5 so cheap?!?!

I was helping a friend pick out a new live mic and we decided to try out the AKG D5 for ****s and giggles alongside an SM58 and Senn. e845.

I was really surprised with the sound of the D5. It was really clear and smooth. Better response in the highs than the 58 but nothing was hyped (unlike the bright e845). It sounded like my voice on ice cubes. So cool. I'm used to using a beta 58, but I'm thinking of trading it in for the D5!

When I looked on ebay, they're going new for like $80?!?! What's wrong with this picture? How come I can't find anything about this mic on GS?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well, i own the condensor equivalent, the c5. when i first got it, i was enamored by the whole "it's a condensor, it will definitely sound better than the dynamic" stigma. it does kill an sm58, but nowadays, what doesn't in the same price range? akg promotes this mic (the c5) as having superior gain before feedback and the response curve is somewhat similar to that of a neumann kms 104. well, i can attest that this in no way is the case. after having the c5 for about 2 years, i bought a sennheiser e865. i really love the sennheiser line of mics, the e835 especially. so much in fact that i own 6 for my PA. the c5 is a very dark mic, even with the presence boost cap. the gain before feedback is horrible, almost as bad as a cheap samson or peavey mic. i could see this as a viable alternative for someone who wants a more refined sm58, beta58 sound with less proximity effect and less funky top end. this is like a smooth beta 58. nothing at all like the kms105 that i own. the neumann is full of life and sounds gorgeous. the e865 is a great mic. until i got the kms105, i was very content with what i was getting from the e865. warm, big, with enough cut. most mics fart out on my voice as i am a lower baritone and i do not need an exaggerated proximity effect. the e865 and kms105, while different animals, handle this extremely well. we did a shootout recently between 7 different vocal handhelds and the clear winner was the neumann and the surprise winner was the e835. the clear and obvious losers were the sm58, beta58, and c5. sm58 being the worst. no high end definition and muddy. the 2 shures were extremely sensitive to plosives and had a tendancy to clip out regularly...even while retrimming the gain throughout the track! the c5 did just once, it is a sensitive mic, but just doesn't live up to the hype akg wants it to be. for the money, an e835 would be better. the high end that your commenting on about the e845 will help you to cut through a mix live. most venues are full of muddy mixes and the brighter the mic, the better your vox will be noticed.

rich
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

How does this relate to this post about the AKG D5? I understand and follow your comments about the C5 (which I own by the way, and agree that it's OK) and the E865 (which I use all the time) and the KMS105 (which I also know well) but you taken this question about a $99 DYNAMIC mic and seem to say it must be junk like the $199 C5 CONDENSER which you go and prove your point... that is all well and fine...

...but this is an Apple to oranges comparison! What does any of this have to do the the D5?!?!? And to think that the C5 would hols it's own to better and more expensive microphones does not make any sense. of course the KMS105 will blow it away, it's a different price point at more then 3 times the C5!

Like Edward, I also own the AKG D5, along several other stage mics from Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Audix and even Earthworks... along with my studio mic collection of course, but that is not relevant.

I understand Edwards excitement over the D5... it's a great mic for the price. Much better IMHO than the SM58 and the E835 which are it's direct competitors. It's close to the Beta58A which I do like and probably prefer, and the Audix OM6 is one of my favorite stage dynamic mics from my own collection which I would probably grab first if a dynamic vocal mic is needed. But heck, the D5 is a great value for the price... I suspect it might be overlooked somewhat due to it somewhat chunky grill with the big silver band around it, and that it is simply the new mic in an over saturated stage microphone market . My own opinion is that there are many dynamic mics that are better than the SM57 and SM58 at this point, and the AKG D5 is one of them...
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't the MSRP is the same as the SM58 at $99? Street (and especially ebay) prices are probably going to be a bit lower, especially as there's no built-in fanbase yet that's willing to pay the same amount of money as the famous SM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy ➑️

How does this relate to this post about the AKG D5? I understand and follow your comments about the C5 (which I own by the way, and agree that it's OK) and the E865 (which I use all the time) and the KMS105 (which I also know well) but you taken this question about a $99 DYNAMIC mic and seem to say it must be junk like the $199 C5 CONDENSER which you go and prove your point... that is all well and fine...

...but this is an Apple to oranges comparison! What does any of this have to do the the D5?!?!? And to think that the C5 would hols it's own to better and more expensive microphones does not make any sense. of course the KMS105 will blow it away, it's a different price point at more then 3 times the C5!

Like Edward, I also own the AKG D5, along several other stage mics from Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Audix and even Earthworks... along with my studio mic collection of course, but that is not relevant.

I understand Edwards excitement over the D5... it's a great mic for the price. Much better IMHO than the SM58 and the E835 which are it's direct competitors. It's close to the Beta58A which I do like and probably prefer, and the Audix OM6 is one of my favorite stage dynamic mics from my own collection which I would probably grab first if a dynamic vocal mic is needed. But heck, the D5 is a great value for the price... I suspect it might be overlooked somewhat due to it somewhat chunky grill with the big silver band around it, and that it is simply the new mic in an over saturated stage microphone market . My own opinion is that there are many dynamic mics that are better than the SM57 and SM58 at this point, and the AKG D5 is one of them...
the only reason why i was using the c5 as a basis of comparison is because akg markets both as being more or less the same mic, one being dynamic and the other a condensor. imo, the c5 is a good mic. not a great mic. better than an sm-58/beta58? hell yeah! better than an e835? if that's what your looking for...maybe. if the d5 sounds anything like its older brother, then it is definitely a great buy for the $100 range. keep in mind, that the competition in the $100 range of hanheld dynamics has been increased, if i were looking for a dynamic in this price range, i would be overwhelmed by the options. i do think that one thing is for sure: that for $100, most of us wouldn't get an sm-58 for main vocal duties.

rich
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
the only reason why i was using the c5 as a basis of comparison is because akg markets both as being more or less the same mic, one being dynamic and the other a condensor. imo, the c5 is a good mic. not a great mic. better than an sm-58/beta58? hell yeah! better than an e835? if that's what your looking for...maybe. if the d5 sounds anything like its older brother, then it is definitely a great buy for the $100 range. keep in mind, that the competition in the $100 range of hanheld dynamics has been increased, if i were looking for a dynamic in this price range, i would be overwhelmed by the options. i do think that one thing is for sure: that for $100, most of us wouldn't get an sm-58 for main vocal duties.

rich
What? Dynamics and Condensers are night and day different. Different capsules different electronics, just different. I agree with GearGuy, while I see what you were trying to get at, your post in no way shape or form does anything to help out the original poster.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 ➑️
What? Dynamics and Condensers are night and day different. Different capsules different electronics, just different. I agree with GearGuy, while I see what you were trying to get at, your post in no way shape or form does anything to help out the original poster.
well, i meant nothing by my posts. i was just hoping to give the OP a bit of insight on my experience with the 5 series from akg. if it seems irrelevant, then i apologize. i would indeed like to see what more users of both mics have found in real world situations.

rich
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
well, i meant nothing by my posts. i was just hoping to give the OP a bit of insight on my experience with the 5 series from akg. if it seems irrelevant, then i apologize. i would indeed like to see what more users of both mics have found in real world situations.

rich
So what you were trying to say was that your experience with lower level akg mics wasn't stellar? If so then your post does make a little more sense although it doesn't really answer the op's question. Sorry for jumping on your case, I don't want to come off like I was putting you down or anything.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok, so I can see the $100 dynamic mic market is over-saturated and that will contribute to pushing down the price. I still really like the sound of this mic and I'm surprised to see that there are tons of posts about Shure and Sennheiser dynamics, but the AKGs get no love around here.

So here's another question for you guys with the D5 and C5. Is it worth it to upgrade to the condenser version? I've never used a live condenser, but I've never been fully satisfied with my beta 58. My music is pop singer-songwriter stuff and even live, we tend to keep the volume down, so I've not too worried about vocals needing to cut through a loud mix. I want the vocal to sound as smooth, clear, and expressive as possible.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Then yes, you'll probably like the way that just about any stage condenser mic sounds... It is different, more "real and life-like" and often similar to what you get with a studio condenser microphone. The C5 is a good mic for the money... but other choice choices are the already mentioned Sennheiser E865 (Sting uses this mic for example) and the Neumann K105/105. Also worth looking at is the Shure KSM9, and stage condenser mics from Audio-Technica and even the Rode S1. A good dynamic such as the Beta 58A and the Audix OM6 can do a really good job of getting closer to a condenser type of sound, but still being dynamic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards ➑️
Ok, so I can see the $100 dynamic mic market is over-saturated and that will contribute to pushing down the price. I still really like the sound of this mic and I'm surprised to see that there are tons of posts about Shure and Sennheiser dynamics, but the AKGs get no love around here.

So here's another question for you guys with the D5 and C5. Is it worth it to upgrade to the condenser version? I've never used a live condenser, but I've never been fully satisfied with my beta 58. My music is pop singer-songwriter stuff and even live, we tend to keep the volume down, so I've not too worried about vocals needing to cut through a loud mix. I want the vocal to sound as smooth, clear, and expressive as possible.
definitely worth it. once i went form dynamic to condenser, i haven't looked back. the e865 is a gorgeous mic. very warm and meaty, at the same time not at all dark. the neumann is in a whole different league. it takes your voice...and makes it louder. what you hear in your head comes through with the neumann. i am not a huge fan of the rode s1. my other guitar player/fellow vocalist bought one before our lead vocalist got a kms105. at that time i just bought the e865. that was when we did the 7 mic shootout. the rode does sound good, but i found it to be extremely bright and sibilant. a great mic if you can handle that, but not for my voice which is a lower tenor/baritone. for my voice: it's kms105, e865, e835. for our lead singer: kms105, e835, s1. his personal preference. for my other guitar player: kms105, s1. we are all converts. now the neumann is pretty expensive, but we got them used for $400 each. considering the new tag of $650, it's a deal. the e865 i own was $200 new of ebay and the rode s1 was was purchased for less than $200 on ebay as well. i bought the c5 back new at $220 when it first came out. a purchase a regret in hindsight. if you are interested in it, i would certainly be willing to let it go at a loss. pm me if interested.

rich
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, Steven Tyler uses the D5 capsule on his wireless. I'm sure he wouldn't use it if he thought it sucked.

AKG can get away with the low prices because the mic is no longer made in Austria. The labor has been outsourced to Poland (where the labor is cheaper). Hope that helps.
Old 9th August 2013
eio
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
As of now, e865 is $270 on Amazon and C5 is $150. How does C5 fair now? Is it worth to pay the extra money for e865?
πŸ“ Reply