Quantcast
are toslink and adat the same cable? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
are toslink and adat the same cable?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
are toslink and adat the same cable?

I've only used s/pdif and bnc digital cables thus far. I need to go out of my Benchmark adc-1, back into my (soon to be purchased) MR816csx interface, via adat. Benchmark tells me that particular digital out is an adat optical.

I can get a good deal on a Planet Waves cable DAddario » Planet Waves Custom Installation > Home Audio/Video > Digital Audio Cable, that I thought was an adat optical, only, the description reads that it is a toslink. I believe "toslink" is supposed to only be 2 channels. Can a cable described as "toslink" function, or be the same as an adat optical?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP ➡️
I've only used s/pdif and bnc digital cables thus far. I need to go out of my Benchmark adc-1, back into my (soon to be purchased) MR816csx interface, via adat. Benchmark tells me that particular digital out is an adat optical.

I can get a good deal on a Planet Waves cable DAddario » Planet Waves Custom Installation > Home Audio/Video > Digital Audio Cable, that I thought was an adat optical, only, the description reads that it is a toslink. I believe "toslink" is supposed to only be 2 channels. Can a cable described as "toslink" function, or be the same as an adat optical?
Toslink is referring to the connection type. That is the standard connection that you see on optical cables. The cable can carry up to 8 channels, so it is also sometimes used to carry stereo signals, and usually you can configure them either way on your device, so it's not really an 'adat cable', it's just an optical cable, which can carry stereo or 8 channel (adat) audio.

But anyway, the short of it is, yes that's what you want to get heh
📝 Reply