Quantcast
I need help with a question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need help with a question
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I need help with a question

Hey, I'm pretty new to recording; I've never recorded in my life. I get the basic idea of protools, the control surfaces and mixing, midi, and most of the equipment involved. I would like maybe do a summer internship before my senior year of highschool and wanted to know what you guys think about getting certified. I would initially just get the basic operator certificate and later move on to expert and Icon expert. The parents are willing to pay for it as a birthday present but is it a good investment. Keep in mind that I've never really worked with protools before. Is this a good way to get started? I'm pretty smart and am sure I can pick up on the matierial quick.

Thanks
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What does the certification training cost? There are many resources for learning PT and the most beneficial, of course, is just using it day in and day out and adding to your repertoire of skills.

That said, knowledge is knowledge no matter how you get it. The certification may in fact be a really great way to immerse yourself in the software and learn its ins and outs and some useful techniques to try. However, if the cost is inflated based on the fact that you are then a "certified Pro Tools operator" I would steer clear. Like the old saying goes, "being a "certified PT operator" and a buck fifty will buy you a coffee."
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea first be sure its what you want to do. Get a protools le setup and play around try figure it out yourself. Imo certificates dont mean **** and I have quite a few. but it is a starting place today. Get around protools and see how you like it before investing too much money in it. it requires alot of practice to become an expert you have to be fast and know what your doing. either way good luck
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The whole "certified" pro tools operator thing is somewhat of a joke to me. I've never taken a class on pro tools in my life (although i have been to recording school, many years ago) and i can work circles around most of the kids ive met with this so-called "certification".

If you want to learn pro tools, buy an mbox and learn pro tools. If you want to become a recording engineer, study recording, do recording, study it more, do it some more and THEN think about a school for recording. Not just a PT certification, but learn EVERYTHING. Learn how to do a session, and handle people, and time constraints and studio politics and everything ELSE that goes along with it. There's so much more to being a recording engineer than just knowing pro tools, i cant even begin to describe it.

If you go into a recording school with a very firm grasp on things already, you will really be able to take advantage of what the school has to offer, including possible job placement at the end.

If you go into it with no experience and limited knowledge, you will just be playing catch-up with kids that are there doing exactly what i just described.

Who do you think is going to get that sweet job in the end?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The certification doesn't really mean anything as far as the business end of things goes. If you're looking to get an internship with a studio, depends on the place whether that would help you or not. Given that you don't really know anything about recording, you'd probably learn enough in the level 1 course to make it worth your time (worth the money, well, your folks are paying for it, so I won't get into that). I took a few of the PT cert classes while I was in school (it was part of the curriculum), and I did learn a few things I didn't know about the software. I had been doing this for a while beforehand though, so I can't say I learned anything new about recording in general. For you I'd say go ahead and do it, it won't be a waste of time. Then get yourself an internship and be prepared to work, work, work. Work like you've never worked before, and keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed. Don't complain. Clean the toilet and make the coffee. And right now, run, don't walk, and go get a book called The Assistant Engineer's Handbook by Tim Crich. This will tell you what to expect.

Above all, have fun.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yah i see what your'e saying. You guys have to remember that I have not worked with protools before so any thing I learn will benefit me. Hey if it gets me in the door then why not? its about $4500 to get the cert and I have talked to some studios that say it will help me in my search for an internship.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
For $4500 you could have a nice home recording rig if you do it right. Recording yourself and others for free would be a NET GAIN in cash and experience in my opinion.

What platform do you have experience with thus far?

Remember, an internship is typically unpaid and most studios out there simply cannot afford to hire and won't hire anybody to do this kind of work. The guys who are doing OK in my estimation are the ones that are able to fill a need locally and can start their own studio and network themselves to success.

If you think a studio is waiting on a free intern to come along and know ProTools so that they can spend money and hire them, you are sadly mistaken. I had a talk with a good friend the other day, and he seemed to pretty much narrow it down to Electrical in Chicago (Albini) being the only place he knew of that ever paid interns, and I'm sure the waiting list is very long and 1-2 maybe get in a year.

War
πŸ“ Reply