Quantcast
CDs are going away Slutz. Here comes Memory Cards!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CDs are going away Slutz. Here comes Memory Cards!!!!
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
CDs are going away Slutz. Here comes Memory Cards!!!!

FOXNews.com - Record Labels to Sell Music on Memory Cards - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

24 bit 48/96k audio is on the way, bye, bye 16 bit /44.1 Cds. 5Gb memory cards we be perfect for an album.
All we need now is full proof copy protection and our economy might get better!thumbsup
Hopefully some genius will come up with a full proof anti-piracy memory card for a future hit billboard album.
Then back to the 80-90s we go.

slotMusic: Replacing CDs with Memory Cards Β» Mobile Computing News

I'm excited. I'm sick of CDs, the limit of 750mb and all the scratches that come along with it..
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So long as there is a way to record audio, there is no fool-proof copy protection.
You just record on one device the playback from another device in real time, then encode and upload, job done.

The whole copy protection thing just won't work, this has to be approached from a completely different angle.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Founder

Stick your music up your nose!

Or er..

Hmmmmmm....

Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"There are just too many fools for anything to be foolproof." --Anonymous
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
So long as there is a way to record audio, there is no fool-proof copy protection.
You just record on one device the playback from another device in real time, then encode and upload, job done.

The whole copy protection thing just won't work, this has to be approached from a completely different angle.

Yea like the war against drugs. We need a different angle. hehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
Yea like the war against drugs. We need a different angle. hehheh
Yup, like give up and spend the money on more homeless shelters/alternative energy research/THE ARTS etc. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
a BLANK 5 gig card cost from $10 to $20

a replicated CD costs, what, 50Β’ to make? and still it sells for $15 to $20!

What will these new cards cost? Or to put it another way: With such expensive media, where is money for the artist/record company/distributor going to come from?

I personally feel that if I need my computer to deal with/play/transfer this new format, I might as well just download the tune from the internet.

I am sure the SanDisk company wants to sell more thumb drives, I have a few myself, and 24/96 would be nice, but psst... physical media is OVER. And Copy Protection is a chimera.

CDs are going away, but nothing is coming to replace them.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
forget the cards ...

I've already been doing albums for major labels and indies that are download only, no physical product at all. I did a film score where the only reason it was able to be released was because of saving money on having no physical product.

3 Xmas ago my 10 year old niece wanted music of all her favorite bands so i got her a stack of around 15 CDs, last year she wanted iTunes cards only ..

CD's are the walking dead

sucks for the people who do the art work

louie
Deleted 2848499
Problem #1: This is a Fox News article.

Problem #2: We are so far away from anything like this...those things would cost $50+ a record, and if it can't go into an ipod, people wont buy it. they will keep going to itunes @ .99 a pop.

Problem #3: It will never be the 80's ever, ever again. until 2080, in which we will no longer be relevent.

Hate to be such a realist...

I do think we are headed away from CD's, but the days of going to the store to buy music are over. I have a feeling it will lean more towards digital downloads, and devices that can stream your media everywhere, like an apple TV..allowing you stream your music device in your car, on your home stereo, ect...and chances are, these devices will be our cell phones.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Physical media will never be "over". It's not now; just look at the stack of blank CD's in the corner of your studio. In the absence of tape and CD, the microchip/memory card becomes the physical media. Whatever the media, we'll still have jobs. But whoever it was that said that copy protection is like the war on drugs (useless and never-ending) is right, in my opinion. And 24/96 for the masses? Woohoo!
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm sick of CDs, the limit of 750mb and all the scratches that come along with it..[/quote]

But you can drop it in a bucket of water, dry it, and stick it in yer machine and it still works. Try that with a memory card or an ipod. There's a compromise for everything. Oh, and the artists will be illustrating the memory card packaging. You know they have to be packaged and marketed, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
What will these new cards cost?
Economies of scale are such that if they start issuing music on memory cards, the price of 5Gb cards will be down under a dollar pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
CDs are going away, but nothing is coming to replace them.
Sure, CDs are going away, but as for nothing to replace them, well I don't think the internet is nothing and it sure seems to be the replacement of choice.

But not yet - at least not if you want 16bit/44.1k and certainly not anytime soon if you have hopes of 24bit/96k. I'd say it will be quite a while yet before there is infrastructure to support any realistic mass market downloads of albums of 3-5Gb.

So a 5 to 10 year window in which 50c memory cards feature may not be out of the question.

🎧 10 years
and this is news?

I've been to many many concerts where you can buy the concert on a USB stick for the last 5 or so years..... Sony BMG (ouch) have also been selling albums on USB memory sticks for years.... sloooooow to catch on some of these types!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People have some sort of fixation with tangible products. If we pay for something and get a physical product, we tend to appreciate it more then something like a downloaded mp3. That's just how we are. CD's are not going to disappear because of a digital medium, it's just not going to happen. When another tangible product comes along that is better, then it's bye bye CD's.

That's all I'll say. I wrote a LONG ass paper about this last year in college, I could go on forever.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I got approached by someone not too long ago trying to convince me to release my label's material on flash cards or something like that.

one of his main selling points was that there would be a kiosk or something -- just select what you want (the new beyonce album, duh) and then presto a few minutes later you have a flash card with the album.

although i ultimately decided this was not worthwhile and the format was probably doomed (because you needed special stand alone card readers and such) I can see at least where this would have solved a problem -- retail shelf space.

This solves none of these space problems and just raises the production cost.

I do think the music industry need to get on the horn and put out a new high res format -- every time a new format is released, the industry makes a lot of money. The movie/tv industry has done it with the new HD formats -- why can't the music industry get on board?
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound ➑️
I do think the music industry need to get on the horn and put out a new high res format -- every time a new format is released, the industry makes a lot of money. The movie/tv industry has done it with the new HD formats -- why can't the music industry get on board?
that's what I'm talking about! sheesh we are slow to get on the ball with that. Is it because people don't care about quality of a recording these days?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Man, records are cheaper, sound better, and are a lot more fun. heh

Oh, and are fully copy protected.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
memory cards

...And out come the censorship magnets.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As mentioned, people are addicted to physical objects that confer status, such as large fancy hd tvs and as has been seen, ipods.

Once you have the hardware, you want to pay as little as possible for the media, and have it as accessible as possible.
Downloading dvds is a drag, downloading mp3s is a cinch.

I really think, after having read a couple of lengthy posts on the subject, that you have to build the price of the media into an unlimited stream through the player.
You pay a monthly amount for your cable, you can watch and record to your heart's content, there are even hard disk recorders built into av receivers.

Tap monthly and tap at source. If you want an internet conection, then your monthly bill will include the price of admission to online content.

Create a dedicated digital channel on cable that has 'pay per download' content just like pay per view, except you can store the content for future use.
You can create music/video playlists from banks of media and watch/listen to clips and then pay to download the ones you like, direct from your cable connection.
I think the industry needs to somehow piggy back on the structure of something that all ready has an established and profitable business model, like ISPs or Cable providers.

I also think governments should realise what an important part of human culture music is and invest more heavily in support for their respective national up and coming artists.
If music was seen as a competetive pursuit that could earn prestige and national recognition/stroke egos such as with sport, then there probably would be more money invested in it.
Look at the Olympics. Can you imagine a spending splurge that big on new studios and money for new projects, support for sustaining revenue after the big event etc? In a different country, every four years.

The industry is being ********, they're focusing all their energy on all the wrong things it seems to me.
They need to come up with a real strategy and a real solution, rather than fumbling around and running off after baloons on the wind.
And they need to do it quick, cause I need to know I can earn some money when I eventually release some music heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Man, records are cheaper, sound better, and are a lot more fun. heh

Oh, and are fully copy protected.
False, sorry but you are wrong and spreading lies and I have to call you out on it...

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ring-rack.html

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️

The industry is being ********, they're focusing all their energy on all the wrong things it seems to me.
They need to come up with a real strategy and a real solution, rather than fumbling around and running off after baloons on the wind.
And they need to do it quick, cause I need to know I can earn some money when I eventually release some music heh

SAME AS IT EVER WAS !!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➑️
False, sorry but you are wrong and spreading lies and I have to call you out on it...

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ring-rack.html

Joking, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
and this is news?

I've been to many many concerts where you can buy the concert on a USB stick for the last 5 or so years..... Sony BMG (ouch) have also been selling albums on USB memory sticks for years.... sloooooow to catch on some of these types!
Right. CD's...going away!? Craaaazy, thats just crazy. Who'da thunk it?

IMO the automobile market tells the story of consumer music media. When i was a kid cars used to have either just radios or the radio/8-track combination. Then cassettes became all the rage. Car manufacturers began offering the radio/cassette option, with the just radio and radio/8-track still available. Then that was phased out over a number of years until it was just cassette players. Then CD's became all the rage. Car manufacturers began offering the CD player option, with cassette/radio still the standard. Over the years, cassette players were mostly (not entirely) phased out and the radio/cd player became standard. Than a few years back we all began seeing car manufacturers addressing the ipod generation with aux inputs, miniplug line-ins, and yes, memory card slots as options, with the radio/cd player still the standard. These days almost all cars have a way to hook up your ipod or play songs off a memory card as standard. The CD player is being phased out. Wait, what? I said it. Yes. The CD player is being phased out. It's so crazy, i know!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Joking, right?
Yes
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

credit default swaps?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Stick your music up your nose!

Or er..

Hmmmmmm....

I just had a Monty Python flashback...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the biggest concern of some "older" / "big group" of people that listen allot music
is that the digital format isn't something that you actual can hold in your hands.
A CD is a material "thing" that you could have in your hands. Actual, you can't lose
it (the music it self). A mp3 / digital format is fictive. You HD can crash
and lose all your songs and you can restart buying your mp3 collection.
That hold back of allot people actual TO BUY there music. So they download it
illegal , often in a **** quality conversion.

So the moment that you can make a system that allows you to buy
your music in a digital format (24/96 resolution) for the same price a
itunes mp3, with 20years of exclusive download rights by "lost", people
will move over. And people are more and more complaining
about the "loudness" war and bad mp3 quality.
Streaming / Download is all ready the future for years. Only the way how we try to sale is fugged up.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️
"There are just too many fools for anything to be foolproof." --Anonymous
Joel please add this to the quote thread in the dungeon....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
. When another tangible product comes along that is better, then it's bye bye CD's.
I disagree. Record stores are closing right and left. It's already bye-bye CDs even though no superior tangible product has come along. The paradigm is shifting and consumers no longer are thinking of music as a commodity - it is merely information.

In fact, my nieces and nephews are getting most of their movies and TV via download as well.

Young Consumers - the demographic that built the music industry - aren't yearning for tangible product, only nostalgic old-fogey Producers like myself are.

And even then, a thumb drive with some 24/96 files on it would not be what I had in mind. If that was my birthday present... bummer.
Attached Thumbnails
CDs are going away Slutz.  Here comes Memory Cards!!!!-ipodmicro.jpg   CDs are going away Slutz.  Here comes Memory Cards!!!!-ipodpequeno2.jpg   CDs are going away Slutz.  Here comes Memory Cards!!!!-ipodinvisa.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…