Quantcast
Snare Trick - Old School - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Snare Trick - Old School
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Here is a cool trick right off Charter Oak's web site. Hope it helps...

Condenser Microphones + Audio Equipment for Recording Professionals

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We used to do that quite a bit "back in the day". It really works best for adding more snare to the sound if needed. We used to put an Auratone face down on the snare and mic the bottom.

Its a bit more organis than Drum agog or the like.

We also used to have a constant channel of white noise that we would gate to the snare. As in..The Cars snare sound.

On the kick we would do the came using a low freq oscillator gated to the kick and tuned where it sounded good. that was proabaly what inspired the 808 kick.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Part of the trick is that what gets sent to the speaker should be as short as possible
well, yes it should be gated and short, but HOW short depends entirely on the song. Just making it as short as possible no matter what is not good advice in my opinion. The best thing to do is set the whole chain up, and then sit there and play with the length of the gate while you listen to the song. Small changes with the gate settings will make a big difference in the feel of the new snare sound your are creating. Finding the right length of that papery bottom snare thing to add in can make or break the feel of the snare track with this trick. Kind of like using a compressor's attack/release to accentuate the tempo and groove of a song...

Great trick, I used it on every song of my band's record (of god and science). Gave me kind of a Def Leppard thing, but less over the top. Kind of like an organic gated reverb, but more "real" than reverb. or something... anyway, a trick that is well worth trying. I used a guitar amp on it's back with foam pieces for the snare. Switched out different guitar amps 'till I found the one who's tone best complimented the snare sound overall. Fun!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITJ ➡️
At least, mic the snare from the bottom. Place a speaker(Auratone) speaker face down on the top head. Send the original snare to the Auratone and adjust level, eq, etc until you get the desired sound. Then record back to your MTR.

No sound replacer? Copy a great snare sound. Make a new track and view it adjacent to the original. Tab to transit on the original and then paste copy to adjacent track.

that's what I'd do also, if you don't have soundreplacer or drumagog. It'll take 20 minutes of your time to get it all in sync (zoom in as close as you can, since the tab to transient function is not always sample accurate)

if the snare is not that bad, try your original reamping setting but instead of auratones or speakers, use a fender guitar amp or some other amp with that crunchy overdriven nice break up kind of tone.

maybe do both, reamp the snare and double it with the replaced snare on another track and you'll be twice as happy.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum ➡️
Hey guys I don't have sound replacer and I got a track with a snare drum that is not that great .

I heard about this trick where you mic up a nice snare then crank a speaker playing the track with the crap snare and record the nice snare resonating to it .

sound familiar ? whats the best way to do this ?
Sometimes, this works on a budget:

Take a pink noise generator, and key it from the snare on a gate.

Mix the two together, and compress the immortal bejeeziz out of 'em.

Pull the raw snare (bottom, if ya got it) into the mix with it.

(Doesn't always work.)
📝 Reply