Quantcast
Do I need a hardware comp/eq for my 'pre-masters' - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I need a hardware comp/eq for my 'pre-masters'
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Do I need a hardware comp/eq for my 'pre-masters'

I've gotten pretty good at getting the pumping sound I want with the VST comps. I've nailed down a few I think sounds really good and add breath and life to my tracks.

Just wondering if it would be worth going to a studio to use their hardware to pre-master my material. Does it really make that much of a difference for this part in the production?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Maybe you could think about using nothing on your 2bus and sending your stuff to a good mastering engineer with all the nice toys. This gets you both the toys and the outside ear.

BTW, I think great hardware and EQs make a big difference, but this is not a topic that has universal consensus.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The reason I dont think I can do what u suggest is that the guys in studios around this area dont 'get' my type of music. I dont trust them on the comps to get the sound I want for pre-mastering. You know dance music is all about the 'pump' and I dont want a guy that does mostly rock etc thinking he can apply that thinking to my material.

For mastering I might totally agree though. But not for using the hardware to get the sound I'm looking for.

Am I way off base here?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…