Balanced & Unbalanced Connections - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balanced & Unbalanced Connections
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Balanced & Unbalanced Connections

Apologies in advance for the silly question, but if I have keyboards/synths where some have balanced outputs and some have unbalanced outputs, is it ok to always used balanced TRS cables to connect all of them to a DI?

ie:
virus (balanced output) -> TRS---TRS -> DI (unbalanced input)
nord stage/voyager/etc (unbalanced output) -> TRS---TRS -> DI (unbalanced output)

Does that just mean that the ring (cold) just stays disconnected from source to destination?

Thanks!
Maru
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Connecting an unbalanced TRS out via a balanced TRS cable to a D.I. shouldn't be a problem... most of the time ;-) . But may I ask why you would use a D.I. with an output that's already balanced (if not for the transformer spicing up your signal, perhaps)? Did you look up the output impedance of your keys and the input of your piece of gear you plug it in? 1:10 rule.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm definitely looking to spice up the sound a little bit from a DI -> a cool mic/line pre I just picked up recently. The thing is I don't have any TS unbalanced cables (except for one thats for my guitar) so have been using TRS balanced cables instead for all of my synths. Just wanted to see if any problems would arise from doing this. You mentioned that it usually shouldn't be a problem... what kind of problems might occur? (sonically, physically, etc)
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Well, the unbalanced input of your D.I. could short one side of your balanced signal, which some outputs in keys don't like - depends on the way the output section is engineered. You could as well try a balanced passive isolation transformer - provides some "iron" and keys usually have enough signal to supply. If you're a bit into DIY your can easily build one of these. As you're for character instead of hifi any transformer lying around could do. You would want a smaller one to slightly push it into saturation.
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
Apologies in advance for the silly question, but if I have keyboards/synths where some have balanced outputs and some have unbalanced outputs, is it ok to always used balanced TRS cables to connect all of them to a DI?

ie:
virus (balanced output) -> TRS---TRS -> DI (unbalanced input)
nord stage/voyager/etc (unbalanced output) -> TRS---TRS -> DI (unbalanced output)

Does that just mean that the ring (cold) just stays disconnected from source to destination?

Thanks!
Maru
good question ...

i connected my voyager and andromeda to a balanced patchbay using TRS cables.
sometimes i put the output of the synths into the di of the api a2d and patch
from there to some hardware eq or comp or pre ... and back into the ad converter.

imho it sounds fine, but i would like to know if this is really the "best" way to set it up??!??
Old 15th July 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I would highly recommend you tried out the balanced from ADS to KK...I started out with trying the "free" pair I got with the KK into the ADS and was seriously surprised about the clarity I got. Some weeks later I took the plunge and went all balanced. Don't think I would go back - haven't tried though - first impression somehow cleared out any doubts.
As a side-note...those blacks - get rid of them...fast - and get all silvers! You will hear a tremendous difference, especially in the bass - much tighter...but at the same time fuller...boominess just disappears - that is if you've got any, of course...
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Balanced & Unbalanced Connections

If you're using the virus with the computer I'd use the USB connection. Great plugin interface and a lot easier than routing analog. For the others, using a trs cable to connect unbalanced to unbalanced is fine, although you should just buy the cables you need. For unbalanced to balanced, or vice versa, follow the excellent advice above.
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Balanced & Unbalanced Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbilliards
I would highly recommend you tried out the balanced from ADS to KK...I started out with trying the "free" pair I got with the KK into the ADS and was seriously surprised about the clarity I got. Some weeks later I took the plunge and went all balanced. Don't think I would go back - haven't tried though - first impression somehow cleared out any doubts.
As a side-note...those blacks - get rid of them...fast - and get all silvers! You will hear a tremendous difference, especially in the bass - much tighter...but at the same time fuller...boominess just disappears - that is if you've got any, of course...
Blacks and silvers, what are you talking about?
πŸ“ Reply