Quantcast
My next 8 pack: help me choose AD8000SE, Rosetta 800, Mytek or what? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My next 8 pack: help me choose AD8000SE, Rosetta 800, Mytek or what?
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My next 8 pack: help me choose AD8000SE, Rosetta 800, Mytek or what?

I'm about to purchase a used Apogee AD8000SE. I've worked with them a lot and finally can afford my own but now I'm getting sidetracked with the possibility of Mytek, the Rosetta 800 or possibly even another 8 pack...I do not need a clock and will only be working at 44.1 (simple setup).

I'm swaying toward the SE because of budget and familiarity and I do like the sound but I'm keeping an open mind to other possibilities without spending over $2500. Gotta have 8 A/D and at least a pair of D/A, can be 2 separate pieces..used is okay.

I should mention I record all acoustic music.

Your suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i have a Rosetta 800, you can get it for less than $2500 new and they sound great, the technology is a little more up to date than the AD 8000 SE. I think a lot of people find the AD 8000's still very appealing because the prices have come down drastically for a used model, and almost all of the ones on ebay come with an AMBus card to hook it up to an old PT Mix rig. However if you are not using PT Mix, I'd definitely give the Rosetta a shot. Can't comment on the Mytek but I'm sure that's a great converter too.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'll just chime in to say that I bought my AD8000 SE after hearing an amazing sounding record that I was convinced was recorded to a 2" Studer machine in some big, fancy, expensive studio. I came to find out that it was done in a guys living room and when i asked him about it - he said the AD8000SE was the thing that made him finally embrace working on Protools. I'm still a semi reluctant Protools user but the AD8000SE has done wonders to persuade me into the digital age.
Old 29th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The SE is a great piece or work but I have not worked with a higher end piece.

I like the newer technology idea of the Rosetta 800 but being so adept at the 8000SE and really loving it's sound I'm swaying that way. The Mytek from what I've read is an amazing piece or gear but the price is up there and I haven't come across any used to make it affordable, yet anyway...

and yes, I am a long time PT user.
Old 29th June 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also consider Digital Audio Denmark. They have 2 different 8 Channel AD/DA converter: 2408 and the other is called Axiom. http://www.digitalaudio.dk/

Not to forget the Meitner converter from EMM Labs.
There is not only Mytek and Apogee.
Old 30th June 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might want to check out the Aurora from Lynx. It comes in 8 or 16 channel versions. Looks appealing! Don't know how it sounds though......

http://www.lynxstudio.com/aurora/
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for acoustic music i would certainly recomend the mytek. you can find them used if you ask around and it is well worth it. to my ears the apogee stuff is a little more rock and the mytek is more pure. i do think the adx stuff from apogee is on par with the mytek in terms of quality. i do not think the rosetta 800 is in quite the same league.

cheers
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I would sertainly take the R800 over the AD8000SE for acoustic recording, purely because (IMHO) 96/88.2kHz recording provides a noticable difference with acoustic stuff.
Never used the Mytec stuff, so can't comment there...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Some of the gear mentioned is about budget. Note: I only work at 44.1 so the 96/88.2 is a mute point. I have a lead on the Mytek at a good price but someone else here is ahead of me on it.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Don't choose without checking out the Lynx Auroras!! In a shootout with the newest apogees I totally chose the Lynx! These things are amazing!
πŸ“ Reply