Quantcast
DRAWMER DL241 vs JBL Urei 7110 (x2) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DRAWMER DL241 vs JBL Urei 7110 (x2)
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DRAWMER DL241 vs JBL Urei 7110 (x2)

i rather enjoy the JBL Urei units, but I only have enough money for the JBL or the Drawmer. I have heard raves of the Drawmer DL241 and there are a couple for sale on Ebay. Has anyone A/B'd these or had extensive experience with the Drawmer?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep..
They are both interesting and good value for money units.
the Drawmer is a bit grittier, in terms of colour., than the JBL.
The JBL gets quite spongey and elastic if you push the input, while the Drawmer gets thicker but collapses sooner.
Personally, If having to chose one I'd go for the JBL as it's variable knee knob makes it versatile enough to handle typical hard and soft knee jobs.
The Drawmer is only hard knee but has a brick wall limiter on the end that can work surprisingly effectively (if set with care it can do the job with more sensitivity than most).
I've used 241 for drums (especially Tom sub group) and many years ago had it set up so that the limiter acted as protection before the overall mix hit the 16 bit DAT (see biography: "The Daredevil years"heh)
7110 for ambient drum destruction, bass and vocals (which also surprises.. a bouncy vocal line can REALLY bounce through a 7110)
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cool, i was really leaning toward the JBL units. or maybe I should quit being cheap and splurge on a good 2 track compressor I will have for many many years.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I've got an obscene amount of compressors.. have had the Drawmer for around 20 years and still find uses for it. Also still use the JBL.
My guess is that you'd probably hang on to them even if you do get some uber compressors.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
im picking up the JBL units today, they are my first outboard compressors. I have the MC2000 compressor bundle plus some other plugs, but since im running LE with a 003 lots of outboard processors aren't suited for my set up. I'd like to use them but I can't insert, and can only print the effects to "tape" and that sucks sometimes later in the mix i say "dang, i wish i didn't print that"....
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great! Congratulations!
I'm sure that after a while you'll get a feel for how much to add when tracking. You'll probably love them when recording ambient drum tracks and bass.
πŸ“ Reply