Quantcast
In-Ear Monitors that don't stick out, get good bass? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In-Ear Monitors that don't stick out, get good bass?
Old 5th February 2009
Deleted User
In-Ear Monitors that don't stick out, get good bass?

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase some in-ear monitors. I had some M-Audio IE-20s with custom-molded tips which were very bulky. They also were cheaply made and the audiologists who made my molds didn't make molds that fit my ear too well.

I'm going to try again, so I could use some advice on which ear buds to go with that won't stick out so much and have plenty of bass. My budget for the ear buds is around $300.

For the molds, I was thinking Etymotic Research. I want some real isolation buds as the IE-20s didn't block out nearly enough (using the tips that came with them or with my crap molds).

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for anything good, your thinking way underpriced...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge ➡️
for anything good, your thinking way underpriced...
I was afraid of that...I guess after my IE-20s busted and I lost a couple of cheaper in-ears, I have a hard time trusting myself with more expensive ear buds...

No chance of some nice molds making some less expensive dual drivers sing, eh?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In ear monitors are useless if the fit is not perfect. The foam sleeves are a good way to go in general but the rubber molds are better-- but only better if the fit is perfect. The bass response is erratic if the fit isn't consistent.

Sensaphonics has an informative website Ear monitors, plugs and hearing protectors - Sensaphonics that talks about proper fit. There site also has a test that you can download and listen to through your in ear monitors to determine if you are getting the proper bass response.

If you are looking at ordering a pair through them you had better be sitting down when you check out the price list. I have a several pairs of Shure in ear monitors and a set from Sensaphonics. The only reason why I bought the Sensaphonics was because I changed businesses and discovered I had 3,000 dollars to spend or lose on health care in 2 days. I got my doctor to write be a letter prescribing the best Sensaphonic in ear monitors. I placed the order and paid; thus, spent about 3,000 that would have been lost to a flex spending account. Is any in ear monitor worth that much money? Well that all depends on what one's needs are. Certainly, Sensaphonics is probably the best design for protecting one's hearing. Being able to keep the in ear monitors in place and flip a switch to hear ambient sound is great. The quality of sound with Sensaphonic is no less than great.

On the other hand the Shures with foam sleeves worked great and were a hell of a lot less money. IMHO Shure for a great monitor for a great price and Sensaphonic for the best.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…