Quantcast
What do you most commonly use your converters for? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you most commonly use your converters for?
View Poll Results: What is your most common use for your A/D D/A converter
Hardware Insert (mixing)
2 Votes - 8.70%
Every time audio comes I/O DAW
20 Votes - 86.96%
Other (please specify)
1 Votes - 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What do you most commonly use your converters for?

1. Hardware inserts for mixing?

2. Every time audio comes I/O DAW?

3. Other (please specify)

just curious.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
tracking, mixing (hardware inserts), and monitoring.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Tracking, mixing (ITB hardware inserts/OTB DA to console), monitoring
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mostly just tracking, and the occasional hardware effect (recorded back into DAW)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use it for converting digital and analog signals heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I generally use mine for convertering.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Filling in that hole in the top of my rack
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Umm... this sounds stupid... how else are you going to get the sound from digital to analog? Anything that needs that conversion is what I use a converter for... it sounds obvious to me.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmiguel ➑️
i use it for converting digital and analog signals heh
this was my reaction as well

I wish people would stop talking about converters so much, I am trying to save for a new pair of mics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What the ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
Umm... this sounds stupid... how else are you going to get the sound from digital to analog? Anything that needs that conversion is what I use a converter for... it sounds obvious to me.
Thanks alot, brother. I'm genuinely curious about what application gets the most converter use. Obviously I don't own any yet. Because of my limited channel count I'm trying to gauge exactly what I'm in for when I take the plunge.

This is a survey, not a "lets make the OP feel like an idiot" thread. I have an 003R and I'm trying to decide how this is going to affect my current setup. My stock conversion isn't bad enough to get a converter for tracking but I do like to mix OTB.

Sorry to bore all you pro's with my stupid questions.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm an amateur and it sounds silly to me too, sorry..

It's like asking what people use their microphone stands for..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon ➑️
Obviously I don't own any yet. Because of my limited channel count I'm trying to gauge exactly what I'm in for when I take the plunge.
if your recording any kind of analoge to your computer then you would have to have some kind of converter already... Why don't you ask what exactly you're trying to accomplish ( a more direct question) i'm sure it will be a lot more efficient and would be tailored to your needs.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks alot, brother. I'm genuinely curious about what application gets the most converter use. Obviously I don't own any yet. Because of my limited channel count I'm trying to gauge exactly what I'm in for when I take the plunge.

This is a survey, not a "lets make the OP feel like an idiot" thread. I have an 003R and I'm trying to decide how this is going to affect my current setup. My stock conversion isn't bad enough to get a converter for tracking but I do like to mix OTB.

Well, I think folks are just trying to figure out what you're getting at.

Part of this may be a failure to communicate clearly.

You wrote in the first paragraph quoted above that you don't have any converters, and in the very next paragraph you wrote that you have an 003. So, you know, folks are confused. I'm guessing you meant any other converters besides those of the 003... or perhaps were specifically referring to converters that do not have any computer interface components outside of SPDIF, AES/EBU, or lightpipe.

At any rate, seems like folks' well duh response was a sort of what else can you use them for thing. I racked my brain looking for an answer.

For the record, like many, I'll go with number two.

[More info than you asked for -- but maybe the kind of stuff you were looking for? I mix ITB, primarily my own music. I could probably get away with 2 analog channels and have in the past but it's a little confining. I seldom use more than 4 inputs at once. I don't use inserts as a rule, thogh I have in the past. From '97 through 2001, I mixed OTB, using 8 analog channels of i/o. (I now have 10/12 analog channels. I don't use any outboard converters via 'pipe or SPDIF.) ]
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
converting
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim ➑️
Filling in that hole in the top of my rack
Yeah man. The best thing about them is they are generally pretty big and have loads of flashing lights. Converters are awesome.

Ahhhh. Another classic question.

OP: You almost certainly do own some converters. Even though they aren't big and covered in flashing lights it's not all bad.
An A/D Converter Converts Analogue signals to Digital. And vice versa for a D/A. There isn't really any other use for them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Why would you get a stand-alone converter for MIXING but not TRACKING?

Let's think about that for a minute...how is a MIX going to BENEFIT from high-end conversion on some outboard processing when the originally recorded signal being processed was converted to digital with your 003R's converters to begin with?

I think most people buy high-end converters for tracking and monitoring, and generally any time a signal goes in and out of the DAW, like you suggest in your post.

Again, if the original analog signal doesnt START with a high-end conversion process to begin with, what's the point in reconverting (for signal processing) later through anything other than the original converter?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b ➑️
Why would you get a stand-alone converter for MIXING but not TRACKING?

Let's think about that for a minute...how is a MIX going to BENEFIT from high-end conversion on some outboard processing when the originally recorded signal being processed was converted to digital with your 003R's converters to begin with?

I think most people buy high-end converters for tracking and monitoring, and generally any time a signal goes in and out of the DAW, like you suggest in your post.

Again, if the original analog signal doesnt START with a high-end conversion process to begin with, what's the point in reconverting (for signal processing) later through anything other than the original converter?
OK, could I use my "first time poll poster" allowance now? Evidently, I didn't think this through enough before posting it. I apologize for burdening you all.

Specifically, I have an 003Rack. It is said to have usable A/D conversion but not so decent D/A. I track with hardware pre's and comp's. Everything on the way in sounds fine. By saying I don't have converters I meant an outboard unit specifically designed for high end conversion.

I see gearslutz has been barraged with summing box threads as of late and the Dangerous D-Box drew my attention. I always toyed with the idea of running my mixes out through my hardware and back in to have them pick up some analog mojo.

I did some test runs by taking ITB mixdowns and splitting them into mono, then mixing them 1 at a time through hardware (Vintech X73i > Summit TLA-100A) and back into my DAW. I was able to A/B them and hear what this did. I could hear the difference. The only possible downside was that there was a tiny bit of noise picked up in the process only audible during the complete silence before and after the tracks. I took care of them with fades.

I assumed it was because of the "less than perfect" 003 D/A conversion everyone here gripes about. So, I was considering the D-Box some more (because of the D/A converters it has) but really don't care to get into summing quite yet. My next logical conclusion was that if I'm gonna spend the $$, why not just get a high end A/D D/A converter? Now I'm faced with the choice: 2-channel or 8-channel? I just want to make the best purchase (or no purchase) for my situation. I would like to utilize my hardware as much as possible. I get to make a serious purchase 1-3 times a year. I'm just tryin' to make it count.

By asking what I asked, I was lookin' to see if there was a way to integrate a high end converter without rendering my 003 as merely an expensive dongle. Make sense? If I kept tracking with the 003's conversion and used the higher end converter for mixing, I would only need a 2 channel. Hope this clears things up. Sorry for the vagueness of the poll. Peace
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL! I'm really sorry. As I reviewed this whole thread, I couldn't help crackin' up. I guess I was too vague. That's what I get for hangin' out here late at night.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hell, id say just go for the 8 channel, get an A/D/A of some sort, and be done with it. bask in your glorious sound in and out of your DAW.

Oh and for the record, the A/D on the 003R IS slightly better than the A/D, but only slightly. Neither will compare to a quality outboard converter. And your tracking will benefit nearly as much as your monitoring/mixing.
πŸ“ Reply