Quantcast
NOFX - Punk In Drublic - Samples ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NOFX - Punk In Drublic - Samples ?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NOFX - Punk In Drublic - Samples ?

Do they uses drum samples on NOFX albums ?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know there are records they did not (Ribbed) and albums that they did for sure (Errorism), but there are a few that I have wondered about as well. I've seen them live a few times and smelly is a HELL of a drummer, but he gets a little quiet in the 'butt-****-titty-****' (Fat mike's term. not mine) parts. He was pretty drunk the last time I saw them. He also plays on OC drums that sound amaaazzzinngg. I could see them not using samples, but the drums on their records always sound so perfect it seems impossible not to be sampled. I don't know. I'm rambling. I'd like to know the answer here too.

Neil
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i would say for punk in drublic no. more recent albums; most likely.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most of those band seem to be drum replaced, but I don't know sure sure.

One thing I'd like to know is how they achieve such bright and clear guitars and bass tone?

It seems to me that in order to get a sound like that I got to boost a ****load of highs...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➑️

One thing I'd like to know is how they achieve such bright and clear guitars and bass tone?

It seems to me that in order to get a sound like that I got to boost a ****load of highs...
Yep. Lots of high end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NOFX has used very non organic drum samples on their last 4 or 5 records. I have no idea why, but Mike seems to like the whole cheap 80's drum machine sound. They don't really bother to program them to be believable either. I guess it's what they like.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't speak definitively about that record, but I know around that time period a LOT of pop punk bands were using triggered kick drum and snare sounds to either replace or blend with the recorded drums. I haven't listend to Punk in Drublic in a long time, but I can see how there would be some triggered samples going on.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well if you saw Erik Sandin drunk it would have had to be before 1992, dude's been completely clean since then. Great drummer, but the recordings are too perfect. The very slick sound to NOFX records to me sounds like a combination of the sampled drum hits, Mesa heads at their best, and incredibly tight performances [a la Ryan Greene's production.] I don't know how they get as solid of bass tones as they get with some of the goofy things Mike plays.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bet theres samples on Punk In Drublic . It sounds too perfect . I want confirmation though.............
ITJ
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➑️
In most cases they are not replaced. The original sounds are augmented with samples.
This has been going on for years.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NOFX's (Ryan Greene's) sound has probably shaped my taste more than any other sound and from YEARS of listening to them between the ages of 13-18 (and now but less so). I personally think Heavy Petting Zoo and So Long... are their best.

Back on point, to my ears it is DEFINITELY NOT sample replacement. Reinforcement/augmentation very probably. If you listen really carefully the kick is anything but consistent but I guess there's just so much top on it that the attack sounds it. Lots of Distressors on their records too I think. Apparently Punk In Drublic's guitar sound saw a lot of POD usage. I think it sounds the most ridiculous of their albums but there's something very likeable about it.

It's a shame they got **** and I actually don't like Mr Greene's more recent work. Anyone heard No Use For A Name's "Hard Roack Bottom"? Great pop-punk album but my God the quantization/samples/autotune on that album are HORRENDOUS!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoudie ➑️
Apparently Punk In Drublic's guitar sound saw a lot of POD usage.
I suppose that POD did not exist in 1994... maybe i'm wrong.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's a shame they got **** and I actually don't like Mr Greene's more recent work. Anyone heard No Use For A Name's "Hard Roack Bottom"? Great pop-punk album but my God the quantization/samples/autotune on that album are HORRENDOUS!
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
NOFX's (Ryan Greene's) sound has probably shaped my taste more than any other sound and from YEARS of listening to them between the ages of 13-18 (and now but less so). I personally think Heavy Petting Zoo and So Long... are their best.

Back on point, to my ears it is DEFINITELY NOT sample replacement. Reinforcement/augmentation very probably. If you listen really carefully the kick is anything but consistent but I guess there's just so much top on it that the attack sounds it. Lots of Distressors on their records too I think. Apparently Punk In Drublic's guitar sound saw a lot of POD usage. I think it sounds the most ridiculous of their albums but there's something very likeable about it.

I think theres Reinforcement/augmentation samples on the drums too .

So you think they used POD for the guitars ?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
July 2006 - Ryan Greene | Odeo: Search, Discover and Share Digital Media from Millions of Audio and Video Clips

Here's audio of a workshop Ryan Greene did at the Conservatory I believe. I had seen this as a video before, but can't seem to find it now. The video and this audio were both edited differently, and I don't remember exactly what is edited in or out of both of them, but I remember he talked about that album specifically quite a bit, and he claims he definitely did not sample replace on Punk In Drublic. He also says Sandin has the most solid and consistent foot of any drummer he's worked with.
It's definitely a cool listen. His recordings are what got me interested in recording as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandoe ➑️
July 2006 - Ryan Greene | Odeo: Search, Discover and Share Digital Media from Millions of Audio and Video Clips

Here's audio of a workshop Ryan Greene did at the Conservatory I believe. I had seen this as a video before, but can't seem to find it now. The video and this audio were both edited differently, and I don't remember exactly what is edited in or out of both of them, but I remember he talked about that album specifically quite a bit, and he claims he definitely did not sample replace on Punk In Drublic. He also says Sandin has the most solid and consistent foot of any drummer he's worked with.
It's definitely a cool listen. His recordings are what got me interested in recording as well.
Thanks for that, it was REALLY interesting. Amazing
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they didnt sound sampled to me. a lot of variation between hits. thanks for the link!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandoe ➑️

Wow, thanks a lot, that was great!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, no samples on Punk In Drublic. I've toured with NOFX several times, and Smelly does have one of the most consistent foots in punk.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Equipment list for Crush Recording under Plugins: "Sound Replacer".
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisTech ➑️
Great. Dude has a tool.

Steve Albini has PT and DP at his studio. Think it gets used every session?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingbasser ➑️
Steve Albini has PT and DP at his studio. Think it gets used every session?
Hell no!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisTech ➑️
Your appendix would likely be on a list of your internal organs...have you used it much lately?
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
ITJ
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum ➑️
I think theres Reinforcement/augmentation samples on the drums too .
There is a trick use to augment drums called "Thwak".
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone ➑️
Maybe they just don't care enough to do the extra work.
Last time I saw them a few years back at warp tour they were lecturing the crowd on record sales being at an all time low. Maybe it was just a rough spot on the tour. Still an awesome band though !
Last time I saw them at Warped Tour (years and years ago) they asked the crowd if they had heard their song being playing on a popular local radio station. Then they said to **** off because they hated corporate radio and that they weren't going to play the song.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
As to the bass sound: Mike is a really, really good picker and a very underrated bassist. Lousy singer though. He also has lost so much high-end in his ears that he likes highs in everything. That and he likes the sound of early-80's punk rock that has a lot of highs. It's definitely a signature of his.

Smelly is an incredibly solid drummer for that style of music. His drums probably are edited in places, but I doubt a whole lot needs to be done. I can't speak to samples on all songs/records or how many, but I know it's been done on some.

Surfer 7" = good times. A great blend of what I like about NOFX days ago mixed with more contemporary stylings. Check it if you haven't.

And yes, I just used "NOFX" and "stylings" in the same post.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky ➑️
As to the bass sound: Mike is a really, really good picker and a very underrated bassist. Lousy singer though. He also has lost so much high-end in his ears that he likes highs in everything. That and he likes the sound of early-80's punk rock that has a lot of highs. It's definitely a signature of his.

Smelly is an incredibly solid drummer for that style of music. His drums probably are edited in places, but I doubt a whole lot needs to be done. I can't I to samples on all songs/records or how many, but I know it's been done on some.

Surfer 7" = good times. A great blend of what I like about NOFX days ago mixed with more contemporary stylings. Check it if you haven't.

Yes!! Love those NOFX records.. Kind of a big fan of the ones by jason and bill from the blasting room... Those guys rule!!

Sharky knows of what he speaks!!!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky ➑️

Smelly is an incredibly solid drummer for that style of music. His drums probably are edited in places, but I doubt a whole lot needs to be done. I can't speak to samples on all songs/records or how many, but I know it's been done on some.

How about the guitars ? Did they use a POD ?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
POD's weren't out yet.
Old 23rd July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wtf! why would you think theres samples & PODs in a punk rock record
from 94? Besides Greene answers this question in that seminar, and to me it doesnt sound replaced or triggered at all.
And PODs?! Again, it sounds just like a tele + rectifier / LP + HiWatt as it does live.
Not a big fan of their guitar sound on their 90s records but it sure sounds natural and always have
πŸ“ Reply