Quantcast
NOFX - Punk In Drublic - Samples ? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NOFX - Punk In Drublic - Samples ?
Old 18th August 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nofx Samples

Ok, so its a little late to reply to all the drum sample questions but what the hell...I never have posted on this site before.

So 1st.... Punk 'n Drublic question...were the drums sampled. Nope, I would say out of all the records I did for NOFX the drums were all real except for 1 record were I did have to add a sample to the snare.

Everyone that comments on someone's else's work has no idea what is happening during a session..... Most of the records I have worked on were recorded and mixed in about 3 weeks. There was no protools till I did the "Decline" and I only bought it after I was done editing all the drums on 2" tape and there was no Sound Replacer used. Someone commented on a POD, also someone replied there were no POD's back in 94 and he was correct. We did Punk 'n Drublic in 2 weeks, recorded and mixed. We also had huge guitar problems in the studio so we rented a Marshall and a les paul. Everything comes down to time as we all know, budgets are small and we tried to get as much recording time in as we could. All the song were mixed in 2 days. These are not major label records and we didn't have $300,000 to do the record. Don't know if you guys know the band "Tonic" but their 1st record took 5 weeks to mix, 1 song every 3 days. Just letting you know to put things into perspective.

When we finished mixing the record it sounded pretty good. When we got it back from mastering it was REALLY BRIGHT and the bottom end was much different then what we originally had. Like most records we didn't have the time or budget to go back and fix it and the record had to be sent off to production. :(

I guess the good news is that the record did sound different then most Punk Rock records, good or bad it had a huge impact and sold over 500,000 copies.

NOFX is amazing and Mike is a amazing song writer/ bass player
Erik had by far the best foot in the world and his last drink or whatever the person said about seeing him drunk at a show was 2 days before we started recording Punk'n Drublic. He is clean and sober!

The comment the person made about No Use "Hard Rock Bottom" Sorry you didn't like the final mixes.... I didn't mix that record...I just Produced and Engineered it.

I have a million stories about how every record was made, the time it took and how much effort went into them. As a blanket statement I will say every band worked hard to do the best they could under the time they had to make the record... I did too.

Making records now a days is sooooooo different then when I start, tune this, move that, replace this sound, oh you can't play that, its ok, we'll just build it. Its still fun but just different...

To all the engineers out there I wish you all the best of luck and much success!
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Ryan,
it's always better to hear it from the person who did it.
And I still make alternative records in a week ... still the cheapest way to do it ! (if the band can play)

all the best
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Ryan, that's good to hear from the man himself.
Old 20th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for dropping by!
So you didnt mix Hard rock bottom? thats definitely one of the best sounding records from that time. It must be flattering that everyone seems to think youre triggering
but I can see why, I remember when I was younger and just into all those bands you recorded and actually thought about those kickass drum sounds, and that was way before I ever got interested in this stuff.

Do you have any tweaking tips when it comes down to the mixing?
Old 22nd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes, i too would love to hear more from you Ryan, your work is probably the most influential over most of the bands i have through the door!
Old 22nd October 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff ➡️
they didnt sound sampled to me. a lot of variation between hits. thanks for the link!
variation between hits can also be done with samples
Old 23rd October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Ryan Greene for posting on here and clearing things up !

The reason I thought it was samples and then also maybe a POD on the guitars now makes sense . The album is VERY BRIGHT which makes it sound kinda cheesy and fake like old school electronic drum samples and the usual direct recorded guitar sound . But none the less one of the best punk albums of all time . The sound of the album actual sets it apart and made them sound very different from everyone else cause it was bright and edgy , kinda like a metal album really aggressive . Thanks again .

Jules should have you as a guest in the Q & A section .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you Ryan for the enlightening post!

thumbsupthumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ryan! Thanks for dropping by and clearing some things up.

Have you ever considered being a guest on here? I know a lot of people would love to have you.
Old 24th October 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Greene ➡️
Ok, so its a little late to reply to all the drum sample questions but what the hell...I never have posted on this site before.

So 1st.... Punk 'n Drublic question...were the drums sampled. Nope, I would say out of all the records I did for NOFX the drums were all real except for 1 record were I did have to add a sample to the snare.

Everyone that comments on someone's else's work has no idea what is happening during a session..... Most of the records I have worked on were recorded and mixed in about 3 weeks. There was no protools till I did the "Decline" and I only bought it after I was done editing all the drums on 2" tape and there was no Sound Replacer used. Someone commented on a POD, also someone replied there were no POD's back in 94 and he was correct. We did Punk 'n Drublic in 2 weeks, recorded and mixed. We also had huge guitar problems in the studio so we rented a Marshall and a les paul. Everything comes down to time as we all know, budgets are small and we tried to get as much recording time in as we could. All the song were mixed in 2 days. These are not major label records and we didn't have $300,000 to do the record. Don't know if you guys know the band "Tonic" but their 1st record took 5 weeks to mix, 1 song every 3 days. Just letting you know to put things into perspective.

When we finished mixing the record it sounded pretty good. When we got it back from mastering it was REALLY BRIGHT and the bottom end was much different then what we originally had. Like most records we didn't have the time or budget to go back and fix it and the record had to be sent off to production. :(

I guess the good news is that the record did sound different then most Punk Rock records, good or bad it had a huge impact and sold over 500,000 copies.

Erik had by far the best foot in the world and his last drink or whatever the person said about seeing him drunk at a show was 2 days before we started recording Punk'n Drublic. He is clean and sober!

The comment the person made about No Use "Hard Rock Bottom" Sorry you didn't like the final mixes.... I didn't mix that record...I just Produced and Engineered it.

I have a million stories about how every record was made, the time it took and how much effort went into them. As a blanket statement I will say every band worked hard to do the best they could under the time they had to make the record... I did too.

Making records now a days is sooooooo different then when I start, tune this, move that, replace this sound, oh you can't play that, its ok, we'll just build it. Its still fun but just different...

To all the engineers out there I wish you all the best of luck and much success!
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Could somebody PLEASE find a working link of this Ryan Greene podcast for me?!
Old 8th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Greene ➡️

Thanks mr Green,
Just to let you know that I grew up with the sound you have sculpted and crafted during 90s.
Your works are an inspiration for me and a generation of folks here and there around the world.
That’s a lot. Thanks!
📝 Reply