Audix D2
Audix D4
Audix ADX51
Audix i5
Shure Beta91
Shure SM-57 X2
Apex 185 X2
Audio Technica AT4050

I also have a 290 sq. foot acoustically treated live-room for tracking...

All in all, this set-up cost me about $10,000 including all the other things like cables, mic stands, etc.

Now, I worked at a local studio in my city for quite some time and developed quite a bit of experience, and have some pretty big local names under my belt. I left when my boss started asking me questions about how to operate his own gear - I figured I had learned all I was going to learn there and decided to go off on my own with a small investment to start.

Now, there's this guy in my city named Keith that pretty much knows the local music scene inside and out, but he said something very discouraging. I asked him if he was managing any bands that needed recording, and he asked me how much I charged, I told him $40 (which I found to be fair because my time has been worth as much as $60 to $80 when I worked at the studio). He told me it was too much and that "start-ups" in the city were charging as little as $15.

For lack of a better term, this seems like horse****... What do I do?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i assume the $40 is per hour?

Its happing everywhere man. I've been talking to bands about studio time and they're going to the kids who are in a bedroom with sonar and a bunch of pirated plug ins who are charging £40 per song.

It just comes down to proving your delivering a better service and product. Dont undersell yourself.

xcx
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't freak out.

Be sure to show people why you charge what you charge...of course, you must have equipment in a facility that is the same as, similar to or better than the studio you left, otherwise your pricing is out of whack.

If you do have a name/reputation, people will come (back) to you. and if they want you to do the project for what you bring to it, they'll pay what you ask or bargain with you.

the $15/hr is probably based on project pricing...like a per song or per EP/demo kinda thing...and the guy's math is probably off or downright wrong. it's a bargaining tactic. eventually, people will pay for the quality they want/need. so you have to keep producing the quality of work that you did at the other place, or better to get at least close to your price.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz ➡️
Be sure to show people why you charge what you charge...of course, you must have equipment in a facility that is the same as, similar to or better than the studio you left, otherwise your pricing is out of whack.

If you do have a name/reputation, people will come (back) to you. and if they want you to do the project for what you bring to it, they'll pay what you ask or bargain with you.

the $15/hr is probably based on project pricing...like a per song or per EP/demo kinda thing...and the guy's math is probably off or downright wrong. it's a bargaining tactic. eventually, people will pay for the quality they want/need. so you have to keep producing the quality of work that you did at the other place, or better to get at least close to your price.
My gear is pretty similar, although I have more up-to-date software... I believe my former boss still uses (I think it was) Pro Tools 5.7? so it's a bit outdated, I know he needs OS9 to run it :P. He has a very pieces of outboard gear that are substantially better than mine, and a little bit of a wider mic selection - definitely more vocal mics.

I would never charge more than he charged because I know his set-up is better... I just need to know if $40/hr is over or under cutting myself.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Problem is you're trying to compare apples and oranges. better outboard and more mics at his place? what about mic pres? does he have a console or a bunch of Millennia or Avalon or Neve pres in his rack? What about iso booths? or the headphone system? or how many sets of monitors does he have? how big is the patchbay?

"a bit outdated" ha! it works though, solidly and consistently. Most clients don't care how current you are, version wise. Heck, I'm still running PT6.4.
As long as it sounds good, doesn't crash or lose files, who really cares?

Another thing: the bar is that much higher when people walk in and see a laptop and FW interface, IMO. You have to wow them with what comes out of the speakers at that point, otherwise they'll go somewhere with a console and loads of rack gear, maybe even a tape machine.

I'm starting to think that $40/hr is what you'd like to be charging...but I'm not sure you're there yet. who are these big peeps that you did over at the other place? you have engineering credit on their releases? are we talking about short-lived local high school bands that do a demo or EP, play around town to their friends too much and then implode?
📝 Reply