Quantcast
Wanna Tranfer my DVD collection into a Hard Drive - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wanna Tranfer my DVD collection into a Hard Drive
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wanna Tranfer my DVD collection into a Hard Drive

So i have plenty of DVD and i wanna tranfer them to my 500gb External drive.

now the problems is the technology i wanna use.

i would like to have the DVD image so i can get the menus and features.

most dvd ripping software will get a Quicktime file and i dunno if i want that.

I am on a MAc.

thereis a program called drive-in for mac which will let you copy the disc images the problems is that the end result file is something propietary and can only be played
with that program only.
so i dont wanna waste 100+ of importing movie time and then realize the company went under, or wont work for new computers, or simply wont work for things like front row, or who knows whats inthe future.

with a regular disc image it could work for everything in the future but disk utility wont let me copy- copy protected DVD (which i own)

for would be ideal so if i need to compose a scene for a movie i can go to my HD and find a movie that has a similar scene. and get ideas.
as well as for entertainment.

how you guys doin this?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers ➑️
how you guys doin this?
Illegally.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you mean downloading torrents?

cause handbreak is not iligal. only if u do it with dvd which or not yours. still the question remains if its iligal or not.
jhg
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A little bit off topic: Make sure you buy another 500gb HD and BACK UP regularly. Recently had a neighbors music collection disappear when his HD **** the bed. That's the beauty of physical mediums, they're a lot more robust.

Hang onto your DVDs, they already have a menu, etc, why re-invent the wheel?
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
handbrake.

HandBrake

if you limit the file size to about a gig a film you loose a little quality - but I've started doing this with some stuff.

ripping via handbrake, then transferring to the apple tv. mostly archival stuff like the original decline, let's get lost and janice.

pretty soon people will start transferring all their movies/tv shows into itunes just like music...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios ➑️
handbrake.

HandBrake

if you limit the file size to about a gig a film you loose a little quality - but I've started doing this with some stuff.

ripping via handbrake, then transferring to the apple tv. mostly archival stuff like the original decline, let's get lost and janice.

pretty soon people will start transferring all their movies/tv shows into itunes just like music...
yeah, i kinda was hinting to that program when i wrote quicktime export format.

but u cant get the menus right? and feauturetes will be in another QT

there is ripit also but will export a .dvdplayer file or somehting. which , same deal as the drive-in its a propietary format (this case apple) and somehting could happen in the future.

apple TV seems like another viable option except for the dvd menus. maybe i should get with the times man,,.. forget about those.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Easiest way is just to copy then contents of the DVD to your harddrive in a folder.
The resulting folder(VIDEO) will be big, but it can be read by most DVD software players like MediaPlayer Classic.
Should work with most copy protections.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg ➑️
A little bit off topic: Make sure you buy another 500gb HD and BACK UP regularly. Recently had a neighbors music collection disappear when his HD **** the bed. That's the beauty of physical mediums, they're a lot more robust.

Hang onto your DVDs, they already have a menu, etc, why re-invent the wheel?
its on topic id say. its a good point. i saw a terabyte at cosco for 125 bucks. no reason why not to right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BTW,

i have 2 other laptops hanging around which is what i am thinking of using for playback.. we actually already use for dvd playback.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I say just capture the video files and store those... you don't need to get the menus... Just get a big harddrive and get the video files.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The correct answer is MacTheRipper: MacTheRipper

Or DVDShrink if you use a PC ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For Mac, the two main programs used are Handbrake and MacTheRipper. Handbrake can rip any title or multiple titles on a disc (usually the main feature for movies) and then convert to a variety of MPEG file types. MacTheRipper creates a video_TS type file which can include up to the whole disc with all menu structure, special features, alternate languages, subtitles, etc... intact... or just the main feature. It also is able to eliminate DVD zones or rezone. The problem with using either of these pieces of software on commercial DVDs is that merely the act of breaking the copyright protection is in itself in violation of the terms of the use license. I hesitate to use the term illegal, as breaking the license unto itself is only illegal when tested in court and I don't feel that this issue has been fully explored yet because of Fair Use. Fair Use would seem to imply that once a consumer purchases something, that the consumer should be able to use it as he sees fit as long as only a single copy is used at a time, it is not resold, displayed in public, etc... so back when people bought LPs, they could make a tape backup for their cars, which did not have record players. The record labels considered at one point making the process of ripping a CD a violation of their licenses, but it is really obvious that this would instantly antiquate the concept of a CD and make almost every person in the world who listens to music a criminal, due to the reality that people no longer really listen to CDs. I'm not aware of anyone who has been imprisoned or fined simply for breaking copy protection alone, that wasn't also involved in other illegal activity, but it is something to be aware of, and obviously something that does not want to be publicly condoned on a public forum, especially one that is populated by many people who are in direct or indirect employment of the record labels or their contractors.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dvd

I have a media system at my house with a server that feeds 3 different screens.

I have around 2200 movies on the server along with a lot of my favorite TV programs. Hopefully some day I will get to sit back and view them.

There a lot of tools out there to extract data.

DVD Shrink is a oldie but goldie.

DVD Fab is another.

You can rip all or just the movie.

Not sure if they are mac compatible but you can find them on the web.

Good luck. Oh and I do own the films also.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well thanks to your responses.... although you guys should read a little further besides the initial post.. who knows maybe i mentioned hhandbrake alreaddy

but seems from your lack of interest in reading anything else BUT the initial post i could get my own answer.. you guys are going the QT route instead of having the disc image and using the menus and such.

so i guess i now move on to codec world...

the problems with handbrake is that i am not getting the audio file... i am but its not extractable. and mac the ripper if i remmebr correctly only get the vob or video ts folder thus its another process with toast to have it in QT format.

whats your settings for handbrake or other ripping device?
i am thinking of a 4gb file size tops.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I may be mistaken, but I think that the built in Front Row application on OS X can read video_TS folders. I don't remember exactly how it is done, but either the video_TS folder simply has to reside in the Movies directory or aliased from there. I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I played around with this.

Another program beside Drive-In is Matinee
Matinee - VIDEO_TS Launcher

and DistantDVD
distantDVD | Home | Network VIDEO_TS launcher for Mac OS X

and MediaCentral
equinux - MediaCentral

there used to be a project called CenterStage, but it looks like it has been stopped
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser ➑️
I may be mistaken, but I think that the built in Front Row application on OS X can read video_TS folders. I don't remember exactly how it is done, but either the video_TS folder simply has to reside in the Movies directory or aliased from there. I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I played around with this.

Another program beside Drive-In is Matinee
Matinee - VIDEO_TS Launcher

and DistantDVD
distantDVD | Home | Network VIDEO_TS launcher for Mac OS X

and MediaCentral
equinux - MediaCentral

there used to be a project called CenterStage, but it looks like it has been stopped
nice! thx
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so i checked further into mac the ripper which makes a folder with the video vob files

someone told me you could open up these folders with macs dvd player but didnt work with one dvd rip test i did.

anyone have tried this method?

thanks.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know if you have a folder with the .vob files, you can drag it into or open it with VLC media player and it'll play, complete with menus and subtitles and such... Works in Linux, Windows, & Mac
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…