Blueberry, Rode, SM57, now what - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blueberry, Rode, SM57, now what
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blueberry, Rode, SM57, now what

Hey all.
I'm looking to add another mic or two to my humble collection. My current collection includes a Blue Blueberry, a Rode NT-2, some 57's and a Senheiser MKH-14 shotgun that I use for location work. I'll also add that I have an Ensemble, Grace 101 and a UA-610 for pres to work with. I'm pretty happy with the pres as I think I have basic, but good set of choices.

I love the Blueberry for stringed instruments, but it's a little to silibant in the top end and the proximity effect can be a little difficult for some vocalist. The 57's are, well 57's. good utility mic's. I never did warm up to the Rode. It just seems harsh to my ear. I keep it because I can get a figure 8 out of it.

So I'm looking for a couple of mics to start filling in the gaps. My first thought is a Shure SM7. From all the research, this mic seems like a good addition as it seems like a real in your face vocal mic and can handle a powerful singer. I could also use it for mic'ing up cabinets and some drum work. It's also a great deal at the mid $300 price point. The SM7 seems like a no brainer.

I would also like to add a good warm vocal mic. There are so many choices out there my head spins and I'm not really sure what mic would be a good fit for what I have now. I'm not immune to dropping some cash on a higher end mic like a Perlman, but I'm also open to picking up a couple of less expensive "sleeper" mics.

I'm looking for something that will fill the gap between the SM7 and the Blueberry and compliment one or more of the pre's I have.

Warm and present is what I'm looking for. It's something I don't have with my current collection.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Possibly one of the 47-aimed FET offerings...
Definitely some warmer vibes. I don't own either of these, but both are on my own personal shortlist.

AT4047
Kel HM-7U
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for pointing me back to the Kel HM-7U. I have been reading quite a bit about it lately.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The SM7 is a good idea. Go with something totally different, like a ribbon mic. I've been looking at AEA's recently, like the R92 and R84.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The BLUE bottle rocket mics give you a lot of versatility with the interchangeable capsules. They use the same capsules as the BLUE Bottle, and when they were branded RED, the type B (now the stage one bottle rocket) received outstanding reviews. I have a type A (now the stage two bottle rocket), with the B6 and B7 capsules, and I dig it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my SM7 on cabs and kicks, so yep, use it for that. Vocals it's a no-brainer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've found that my biggest challenge with the blueberry has been not being close ENOUGH to the mic. I've never had the sibilance issue that some speak of, but I am running it through an MA5. I think pan60 said it best to me once, that the blueberry just shows sibilant sources for what they are, not really creating more sibilance really. YMMV. That being said, maybe you could try the tlm49, or a pearlman.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You don't have a tube mic yet nor one with multiple patterns. I would highly recommend the Rode K2 for this purpose and in your current price range of microphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the input. It gives me a few directions to go in. A ribbon might just be the ticket for now with a SM7 and then a tube down the road.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have alot of the same mics in your collection.
I added an AT 4050.
Very nice addition compared to the Blueberry.
Better for alot of vocalists, paritcuarly Female and rap vox.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for the 4047
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the SM7. I have yet to find something it didn't sound good on
πŸ“ Reply