TAD vs ATC monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TAD vs ATC monitors
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
TAD vs ATC monitors

Hi all,

First of all, I tried the search function and didn't find this comparison. Did find ATC vs some other brands thought but that's not the issue.

So ATC and TAD are both incredibly expensive material. Which one is the better though and I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about best bass, mid, high, detail etc. I've heard TADs with JBL bass drivers. Don't know which the name of the cabinet is but it has 2 15 inch bass speakers, 1 TAD horn and 1 TAD high frequency driver.

Is there anyone with experience here about which is the better speaker? I'm talking main monitors here. I've never heard ATC but their prices are so high I can't take them serious. I feel no speaker on earth can be worth what they charge. I'm talking about 15.000 USD or more. Seriously, get real!

Thanks for your input fellas!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Wow. 26 views and no answer. Doest that mean no one ever compared the two? Does this mean they are equally good?

C'mon guys! Enlighten me! ;-)
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent

๐ŸŽง 10 years
May seem kinda biased (look signature) but as a studio designer there is a reason why I work with those two...
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o โžก๏ธ
Hi all,

First of all, I tried the search function and didn't find this comparison. Did find ATC vs some other brands thought but that's not the issue.

So ATC and TAD are both incredibly expensive material. Which one is the better though and I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about best bass, mid, high, detail etc. I've heard TADs with JBL bass drivers. Don't know which the name of the cabinet is but it has 2 15 inch bass speakers, 1 TAD horn and 1 TAD high frequency driver.

Is there anyone with experience here about which is the better speaker? I'm talking main monitors here. I've never heard ATC but their prices are so high I can't take them serious. I feel no speaker on earth can be worth what they charge. I'm talking about 15.000 USD or more. Seriously, get real!

Thanks for your input fellas!
These two are sooo different in approach and execution. One designed as top quality but traditional horn based narrower dispersion higher SPL far field, the other designed as a direct radiator lowest possible distortion, wide dispersion flat phase response far field. Quite different and for different applications I would say. I can well imagine a studio with one set in one room, the other in another room but would never imagine them being in competition with each other.

Brad

๐ŸŽง 15 years
TADs are good for getting loud, being punchy, and taking abuse. ATCs are far more detailed, smooth, and refined. TADs belong in control rooms for clients who like it big and loud. ATCs are appropriate in mastering studios and applications where audio quality comes before brawn (though the big ones can certainly bump).
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
ATC's are most definitely worth the money - Don't forget you are getting 6-8 REALLY high quality amps thrown in for the price you are paying, also You can buy direct from ATC and save yourself Quite a lot of money.

Performance wise they are incredible - They are the most "involving" speaker I've used.
Effortless and dynamic are words that spring to mind.

They translate amazingly - better than any other speaker I've used when Using them in new environments they are a reference as to what is wrong with the room.

I have a pair Of 50's both in the studio and at home.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…