Advice needed on Australian Customs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice needed on Australian Customs
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Advice needed on Australian Customs

Hey Guys,

Ive got my girl comming back from Germany in a few weeks.She will be bringing back with her 3 or 4 high end vintage mics.It was my plan just to have her take the mics and supplies on board as carry on luggage and waltz out thru customs our end with no fuss.

I have since spoken with a few friends and they have mentioned that they must be declared, and my girl stands the chance of being scrutanized and questioned over the mics.Possibly resulting in Customs and GST charges.(wether they are gifts or for personal use or not).

Many thanks,

Mike
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just declare them or alternatively, post a few home and just get her to bring in 1 or 2 mics..
I suspect you are going to have to pay duties - 4 mics arent that easy to hide!!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
She could just waltz through.
Maybe 9 times out of 10 that would work too.
But if she is stopped and caught there will be a severe grilling in store, plus you'll pay all the taxes and probably a fine on top.
I wouldn't want my girlfriend to be delayed for hours in customs after a long flight, or have everything she owns searched through.
The gift thing is a red herring, duties are still applied. Also customs would require paperwork to prove the servicing story.
At the end of the day they are no mugs and take a very dim view of this kind of thing.
Risk it or not, you make the call.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I wouldn't want my girlfriend to be delayed for hours in customs after a long flight, or have everything she owns searched through.
Yep.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not to mention that carrying weird metal cylinders in carry-on luggage makes the guys on the x-ray machines very nervous. When I had 2 Milabs in my bag once the belt stopped and 3 guys stood there staring at the screen for a while before they pulled me to the side for a search. If she carries them in hand luggage, best if she pulls them out and puts them in a separate tray from her bag when she puts her stuff on the belt, that way they are easy for the security people to inspect.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Triez is on the money - I got hassled flying domestic from Melbourne to Sydney with a 1073 and power supply because they saw metal boxes with lots of wires inside.
What's the total value of the mics?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Everything is scanned these days so it will be obvious in the x-ray that she is carrying electronic equipment.

4 mics will undoubtedly break the $900 adult limit so you'd best declare them.

If it is for repair you would need to show a copy of the receipt to customs that you issued the person who "gave" them to you for repair.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh well........

Sensible advice all round guys.

Led the mics = 2 x mint orig Tele longbody 47's,mint C24,mint 67.

Man,it appears that i may have to get her to send them before she fly's.
Its just that we've been sending odds and ends between Germany/OZ frequently throughout the period shes been away.She uses DHL and it worries me to bits.Some packages took a week,3 weeks and 1 took 2 months.They were all sent express !!! And DHL just dump them on your door step.

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geareyes ➑️
And DHL just dump them on your door step.

Mike
I know the feeling.

$5000.00 MacPro left by the front door in the rain, even after instructions on EXACTLY where to leave it (by the side door undercover).

F*&Ktards.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Do you have the original receipts for them? If it is obvious they were bought some time ago and they are old, you may be ok.
My experience with customs has been that they love paperwork.

The other tactic is to tick every box (except maybe the explosives and firearms) and declare every lttle thing you have. Then after you show them your biscuits, chocolates, wooden souvenir of the Vatican, and leiderhosen, and they ask "Anything else?", you say "Only these 3 old microphones".
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
By courier or via girlfriend you are going to be hit for import duty.
Given the rarity and quality of the mics I would much prefer them to be transported with the feminine touch, rather than the DHL boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djembe ➑️
after you show them your biscuits, chocolates, wooden souvenir of the Vatican, and leiderhosen, and they ask "Anything else?", you say "Only these 3 old microphones".
Yeah, that does work.
These flights get in at 6am, and I've stood in customs and run through my food items, drum sticks, Calvin Klein t-shirts I bought etc and after a bit they look like alright already.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sent for repair?

I just want to draw on peoples experience with high ticket items that have been clearly marked "SENT FOR REPAIR".

Would i be hit with any fees if she ship's some of the mics from Germany,fully insured for their worth but clearly indicates on the paperwork that they have been sent for repair??

Thanks to everyone for their input so far!

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just want to draw on peoples experience with high ticket items that have been clearly marked "SENT FOR REPAIR".

Would i be hit with any fees if she ship's some of the mics from Germany,fully insured for their worth but clearly indicates on the paperwork that they have been sent for repair??

Thanks to everyone for their input so far!

Mike
Not sure on that one, they may expect you to prove re-export after a period in that case.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's quite plausible that you could be bringing the U47's and the 67 to Australia for repair. Gunter Wagner is the king of that sort of thing and he lives in Sydney. But there's no way those mics aren't going to light up like Christmas under the x-ray machine and then your girl is going to get the 3rd degree. Unlikely she'll be able to convincingly explain they're her pride and joy.... and then there's the value of the mics. Just the U47's alone is easily $15k, way over the $1,000 threshold. Better to declare it. It's quite likely they won't even care. It's not like it's new merch... they're personal belongings.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djembe ➑️
Then after you show them your biscuits, chocolates, wooden souvenir of the Vatican, and leiderhosen, and they ask "Anything else?", you say "Only these 3 old microphones".
they are old, how much could they possibly be worth
as i doubt your girl would know much about them that would be a perfectly feasible stance for her to take imo.

very few people will even know what they are let alone what they are worth so unless they have recently had someone come through with the same thing declaring its value i doubt they would even know what to do about them. maybe you'll have to pay something but i doubt it would correspond to their true value.

my experience is unless they think your trying to bring in something illegal they want to get you though as fast as possible.

but different people find different things so who knows. my only advise is declare everything because then they will be reasonable but if/when they find something you havnt declaring then you have no way of getting out of trouble.
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Led the mics = 2 x mint orig Tele longbody 47's,mint C24,mint 67.
Bastard! Can I hire them sometime?
Seriously, I would have your girl bring them and pay the duties if you have to. It's not worth sending gear like that by post.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"These old microphones," is the way to go. If they're vintage and they look vintage, they could be any old second-hand junk worth $2 each. You need 'em because you need crappy old sounding microphones for a project. Hell, buy four $2 microphones from a pawn shop and have a receipt for $8 that says '4 microphones'.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
In 2002, I brought in a new HD core and a HD proccess card in my carry on luggage. I told them that they were "computer sound cards" and were worth $200. My only worry was that the customs guy would be an audio nut in his spare time. He just waved me on thru. Also they did'nt bat an eye going thru xray and this was 5 months after 9/11. Lol.
Thomas
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
She could just waltz through.
Maybe 9 times out of 10 that would work too.
But if she is stopped and caught there will be a severe grilling in store, plus you'll pay all the taxes and probably a fine on top.
The gift thing is a red herring, duties are still applied. Also customs would require paperwork to prove the servicing story.
At the end of the day they are no mugs and take a very dim view of this kind of thing.
Risk it or not, you make the call.
He's right!
I mean I get stuff sent marked as gifts etc when it is clearly something abscure or not really noticeable. BUT anything that they may know about, they could be nasty about.
The best thing would be for her to have an invoice for the mics and to declare them. Whether that invoice is for the amount you paid is another matter. If bought second hand you may have got bargains and that's fine if you have an invoice to show.
4 mics is a tough one to slip through. One mic you could maybe plead ignorance or say you took it for a non commercial session with friends, but 4 decent mics? If they see them, they will check it out.
Good luck though!
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yippee....Yay !!!

Ok,a big thankyou to everyone for throwing ideas at me about these mics.....

Now its time to start micing up things

Oh,in Germany customs ran Bomb trace tests on the U47's.LOL,what badass mics.

Mike
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very cool. Love Happy Endings. and offcourse Greater Beginnings 4 your classic mics and recordings. Lucky u Peace.
πŸ“ Reply