Quantcast
Alice Broadcast Mixing Desk - Need info. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alice Broadcast Mixing Desk - Need info.
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Alice Broadcast Mixing Desk - Need info.

I picked up this from ebay, thinking that if it sounds rubbish I've got a good basis for a DIY desk project.

Does anyone have any information on these types of desks or the manufacturer? I read that Ted Fletcher designed some for Alice in the 70's, but I think this may predate that.

ALICE "vintage" analogue 10 channel mono mixing desk on eBay, also, Audio, Professional Studio, Consumer Electronics (end time 03-Feb-09 20:00:00 GMT)
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I couldn't find any info on these alice desks.
Anyone?
Are they on par with high end vintage analog desks like neves etc?
Old 31st August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I vaguely remember an "Alice" ;-)

But the pics on ebay are gone already. Maybe you could post a couple of pics here?

Oooops... Old thread.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There's this beautiful 6-2 alice..

So what do you guys know about em?
Attached Thumbnails
Alice Broadcast Mixing Desk - Need info.-alice-1.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a Alice 2008 , and really like it's sound. It's an 8 channel with 2 aux and limiter. It's transformer balanced(sowter). I also like the eq.
Old 1st March 2012
SEED78
hi there - bumping this old thread - any Alice/Soundtech Series A mixer users out there?

Usual questions, how do you rate the Pre's, EQ, Headroom, features? does it have direct outs?

thanks!
Old 9th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey,

I have all the manuals for the Alice Soundtech Series A mixer.

PM me.

Cheers
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➑️
hi there - bumping this old thread - any Alice/Soundtech Series A mixer users out there?

Usual questions, how do you rate the Pre's, EQ, Headroom, features? does it have direct outs?

thanks!
hiya,

I'm an Alice 828 mixer user... 8 in, 2 out with limiters on the stereo outputs,directs outs on every channel and PPM meters. They were originally designed for radio stations in the late 70's by Ted Fletcher I believe, and mine was in service somewhere in scotland until about 2005.

The pre amps have belclere transformers and are incredibly smooth. i love to run drum machines or snare mics into them to mellow out the transient but still retain the knock and punch - they lean towards the darker and coloured end of the spectrum but are detailed and lend a 'hyper-real' sheen and presence to anything they touch. Great on vocals though a touch smeared/thick in the lower mids and a massive bottom end.

The switchable EQ's are utilitarian but very usable to knock some low end off, it has a sweep-able mid frequency that is very useful. The high end seems to be able to be boosted a ton without ever sounding bad. You can distort the inputs in a very similar way to a Neve to get that lovely edge of saturation...

the limiters are fantastic, perfect for slamming drum loops or bass guitars into submission when maxed out, with a very long release and a little bit slow and just one knob. I'd use them in the analogue world anywhere i'd use a plugin LA2A at more conservative settings, but for a different colour.

i really love this thing - I have no use for a larger mixer, when i record away from the studio i usually take the Alice, a fireface 800, a 4 channel phantom power supply (as the Alice only supplies 12v) and a selection of mics - it's unbalanced but this has never caused an issue. it has a real 70s analogue vibe, for example when coupled with an RE20 you can definitely get that 70's kick sound. The perfect drum sound for me at the moment is snare and kick through the Alice, slightly brightened and limited and then stereo overhead mics going into a thermionic rooster/ kush fatso. BLISS.

the only things i'd consider modding would be a stereo master output fader, and possibly balanced master outputs, but it isn't really a problem as I mostly use it for spot pre's for drums or as an effect channel.

I'd like to somehow measure how the limiters behave as well as I think the release gets longer the more you crank it? I can't seem to approximate its behavior with anything else! I'd get another one as a backup any day, nothing else sounds like it. Funky, larger that life with a punchy mellowness like a steely dan record.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooms ➑️
hiya,

I'm an Alice 828 mixer user... 8 in, 2 out with limiters on the stereo outputs,directs outs on every channel and PPM meters. They were originally designed for radio stations in the late 70's by Ted Fletcher I believe, and mine was in service somewhere in scotland until about 2005.

The pre amps have belclere transformers and are incredibly smooth. i love to run drum machines or snare mics into them to mellow out the transient but still retain the knock and punch - they lean towards the darker and coloured end of the spectrum but are detailed and lend a 'hyper-real' sheen and presence to anything they touch. Great on vocals though a touch smeared/thick in the lower mids and a massive bottom end.

The switchable EQ's are utilitarian but very usable to knock some low end off, it has a sweep-able mid frequency that is very useful. The high end seems to be able to be boosted a ton without ever sounding bad. You can distort the inputs in a very similar way to a Neve to get that lovely edge of saturation...

the limiters are fantastic, perfect for slamming drum loops or bass guitars into submission when maxed out, with a very long release and a little bit slow and just one knob. I'd use them in the analogue world anywhere i'd use a plugin LA2A at more conservative settings, but for a different colour.

i really love this thing - I have no use for a larger mixer, when i record away from the studio i usually take the Alice, a fireface 800, a 4 channel phantom power supply (as the Alice only supplies 12v) and a selection of mics - it's unbalanced but this has never caused an issue. it has a real 70s analogue vibe, for example when coupled with an RE20 you can definitely get that 70's kick sound. The perfect drum sound for me at the moment is snare and kick through the Alice, slightly brightened and limited and then stereo overhead mics going into a thermionic rooster/ kush fatso. BLISS.

the only things i'd consider modding would be a stereo master output fader, and possibly balanced master outputs, but it isn't really a problem as I mostly use it for spot pre's for drums or as an effect channel.

I'd like to somehow measure how the limiters behave as well as I think the release gets longer the more you crank it? I can't seem to approximate its behavior with anything else! I'd get another one as a backup any day, nothing else sounds like it. Funky, larger that life with a punchy mellowness like a steely dan record.
I had an Alice 828 - like this, but mine had BBC spec. PPMs instead of the "Virtually Useless" meters:-

They were very nice - in their day.

I found that they would not power 8 condenser mics at the same time - so I cut the phantom bus and powered four from external supplies.

They were also a bit noisy for modern work - after I started recording digital in 1983 (with a Sony PCM-F1 system) I first upgraded the output boards to the new lower noise versions and later got rid as it was the weakest link in the chain.

Very nice in their day, but I wouldn't want to use one now.
Old 10th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooms ➑️
hiya,

Hiya Rooms,

Thanks for putting into words my feel about the Alice Soundtech Series A. In the last week I put it through an Apogee Mini Me and have be hearing the desk for the first time after using it for the last 20 months on home recordings.

It really gives me a nice solid state 70's vibe on guitar and bass and I'm still working out a good vocal chain. It's great to be inspired again to use it for more tracking.

I have manuals for the Series A and instructions to convert stereo channels into 2 x mono. If anyone needs them please PM me.
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm selling four Alice compressors racked into a single unit. PM me if interested.
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just bought an Alice 828 just like in the picture above and I only ran a mic through it to test it so far and didnt record with it but I have to say that I really like the sound of it aside from a little noise that doesn't bother me so much.

It seems to saturate nice and sounds big and warm and I can't wait to hear the limiter in it!!I think it is one cool little mixer with direct outs and warm transformers. I picked it up from a fellow gearslut and love it so far!!! 70's vibe all the way and I hear the limiter sounds great in it too!! I plan to use this mixer along side my Electrodyne and API pres!!

Old 11th May 2012
soundtech A

I have an alice soundtech A I want shot of!
Old 26th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, just seen this thread. Recently bought an Alice Series A 16 channel, its generally working great, apart from the limiters. They dont seem to be responding, which is strange as there is no problems elseswhere on the desk. Anyone have trouble with the limiters? Or know why they may not be working?
Old 26th March 2013
SEED78
people on this thread know there is a big different between the 828 and the Series A right?

they are prob made decades (or A decade) apart for a start.

since posting I got my hands on a Siemens C4, am in the process of getting the power supply rebuilt and getting other work done.
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all,
Please email us on sales @alice.co.uk for any technical inquiries.
Alternatively you can contact us on 01323 765283
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
here is my alice sm 2

Old 14th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I know this is a very old thread but this may help someone.

I have the full Series A manual with schematics, parts lists and circuit descriptions. I have been asked to scan it a few times but the time involved did not justify it. I now have a couple of desk owners after a copy, so if anyone else wants to chip in to spread the cost, I will get it done. The scan will be at high resolution so will be too big for an email attachment. I will send it with a Dropbox link.

Martin
0161-761 5050 (UK)
+44 161-761 5050 (from abroad)
Old 1st January 2018
Deleted 10089a2
someone might want to grab :

Sexy Alice Series A Summing/Mixing Desk | eBay
Old 1st January 2018
SEED78
Saw that the other day, looks really nice good luck
Old 19th March 2018
Here for the gear

anyone know anything about a soundtech digefx128
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all, I am selling an Alice 1228 if anyone is interested. Cheers.
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

Pm'd!
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Service Manula

Im Currently searching for a service manual for an Alice 16.48
anyone out there have one on file?

cheers
πŸ“ Reply