Quantcast
Avalon 2055 EQ Owners Please Advise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon 2055 EQ Owners Please Advise
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Avalon 2055 EQ Owners Please Advise

I received my Avalon 2055 today, replacing a Langevin Mini Massive in my sound system, and although I have only had a quick play with it using the settings I had on the Mini to flatten the response of my speakers in room, I am noticing some strange anomalies....

First and foremost, I am ONLY cutting frequencies, not boosting at all, yet when I put the EQ in circuit, I get a volume boost! Why?

Also, the sound through it sounds brighter when the EQ is in circuit, where the Mini did not. I am basically cutting 150Hz (4db) and 630Hz (4db) on the left channel and 100Hz (2db) and 630Hz (3.5db) on the right.

Also, the frequencies selectable on the mid F3 selector, describes them as 2k5, 3k5 etc, am I right in assuming that 2k5 is 2.5k?

Any light you can shed is appreciated.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wow you actually bought an AD 2055 for tuning the speakers in your room?

This is a first on GS!!!

Seriously though a couple of things about the AD2055:

1) Its a great EQ but would not be my first, second or third choice for this purpose.

2) It is both a passive and active EQ so yeah while it softens certain freqs it lifts the hi's slightly as well even when just running audio through it. Its part of the reason its a favorite for mixing vocals.

3) And yes 2k5 is 2.5khz etc.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
Wow you actually bought an AD 2055 for tuning the speakers in your room?
This is a first on GS!!!
I did indeed, you should see the rest of it!

Quote:
Seriously though a couple of things about the AD2055:

1) Its a great EQ but would not be my first, second or third choice for this purpose.
OK, what would be your first, second and third choices? I am interested to hear them!

Quote:
2) It is both a passive and active EQ so yeah while it softens certain freqs it lifts the hi's slightly as well even when just running audio through it. Its part of the reason its a favorite for mixing vocals.
Really? This is the first time I have heard this. My understanding was that it was one of the most transparent and 'colorless' of them out there.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin ➑️
I did indeed, you should see the rest of it!
I believe you.

Quote:
OK, what would be your first, second and third choices? I am interested to hear them!

Well first all prepare yourself for a bombardment of responses on why you shouldn't, can't or are absolutely nuts for trying to EQ the response of your monitors.

But i will not be that guy today and just say are you using a custom crossover or are you planning to use one that's store bought? Before i can recommend anything i guess that is something you have to determine based on your speaker/monitoring system? Is this for a pair of soffited monitors, free standing large speakers or something smaller? and of course for everyone reading this thread who is ready to jump on me... do you really need it?heh

Quote:
Really? This is the first time I have heard this. My understanding was that it was one of the most transparent and 'colorless' of them out there.
Don't know who told you that, but i guess to certain people who are used to a ton of color in their gear the 2055 would be considered really clean & transparent.

But to a guy who pursues that 2-3% gear nut like me(plus i used to own one and know its sound really well), i know its not transparent or colorless.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Guys I should have explained, this is used in a HOME sound system , not a studio. I have experimented for years with EQ on my home system for the simple reason that my room is not perfect and with a family to consider, the room can not change, so I decided to EQ it out.

I have been all the way down the path of using a TacT room EQ and although it flattened the room, it left me totally cold as it sucked all the life out of the music.

So after years of doing this I decided to give 'some' EQ to correct for the resonances in the room and got a great result with the Mini, but in the five minutes of testing before the kids went to bed, the Avalon sounds very very different as described above....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Its a great EQ but would not be my first, second or third choice for this purpose.
Still keen to hear you advise on what you would have bought!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aaaah - you one of those 'Audiophile' type guys?
Money no object?
Maybe get a Massive Passive - nice valve flavour. http://www.manleylabs.com/containerp...asspass99.html
Or a favourite is always a GML - maybe either one of these. Search Results
I'll buy your Avalon off you for $2500 - lol - and Bob's your Uncle.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➑️
Aaaah - you one of those 'Audiophile' type guys?
Money no object?
Maybe get a Massive Passive - nice valve flavour. Manley_Stereo_Massive_Passive_EQ
Or a favourite is always a GML - maybe either one of these. Search Results
I'll buy your Avalon off you for $2500 - lol - and Bob's your Uncle.
No I am not, those audiophile types HATE equalizers, foolishly believing they do not need it. Manley Massive is too coloured is it not??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No I am not, those audiophile types HATE equalizers, foolishly believing they do not need it. Manley Massive is too coloured is it not??
Yeah - I guess so - but in a very good way.
Truly transparent - maybe Sontec ?? UA WebZine "Analog Obsession" December 04 | ITI, Sontec, and the History of Parametric EQ
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is both a passive and active EQ so yeah while it softens certain freqs it lifts the hi's slightly as well even when just running audio through it. Its part of the reason its a favorite for mixing vocals.
Hey 'thethrillfactor' after experimenting a bit, it seems the 2055 boosts somewhere around 2K, and about 4-6db of boost. Is this inline with the coloration you found with it?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The 2055 is my least favorite piece of the AD gear, why ?
I was using the 2055 along with my 2044 for mastering/2 buss and the EQ was causing a smear to my sound even with the setting be flat, I lost detail, The EQ sounds great and very hifi but I had to toss mine due to the detail issue. A huge let down.
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had the same loss of detail issue with my 747 until I swapped the tubes yesterday. WOW. What a difference. 6922 tubes don't come cheap, though... But now it enhances the sound instead of blurring it!
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't believe any of the 20- model Avalons have tubes.
πŸ“ Reply