Quantcast
Ok, i cant take it anymore, who's with me? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ok, i cant take it anymore, who's with me?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, i cant take it anymore, who's with me?

Ok im up to a point that i have recording/mixing sessions every day, and i mean even saturdays and sundays. They are long sessions that start early in the morning and they finish... early in the morning. I just want to sleep for a YEAR!, is anyone out there feeling the same way i do?, how do you handle it? i mean i feel that if i continue like this, ill be dead in no time hehehe, i love my job but come on!!!!!
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm doing standard school in full honors/AP/IB plus 4 drama classes and am trying to mix songs after I finally finish everything. Sleep from 2-6 each morning. I feel your pain... I think we need a siesta! I think my problem is I keep telling myself this is the last year so I can just power through this but it's been 3 years now... whatever. That's what energy drinks were made for.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Start charging more $$$. That should make it more worth-while.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 ➑️
Start charging more $$$. That should make it more worth-while.
Thats one good advice indeed!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
I'm doing standard school in full honors/AP/IB plus 4 drama classes and am trying to mix songs after I finally finish everything. Sleep from 2-6 each morning. I feel your pain... I think we need a siesta! I think my problem is I keep telling myself this is the last year so I can just power through this but it's been 3 years now... whatever. That's what energy drinks were made for.
Yeah man, i know what you mean, but those energy drinks make me feel like a Wh*re on crack!, i keep telling myself "i wont work this weekend", that was 6 months ago....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know what I've been thinking though? If I got off gearslutz, I would save time... I haven't taken that seriously yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
You know what I've been thinking though? If I got off gearslutz, I would save time... I haven't taken that seriously yet.
HAHAHA thats because you are a gearslut!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm quitting when I get to 1,000. There's not much on the boards anymore I haven't seen already...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. double your rate

2. halve your clients

3. make same money, work half as much

(or something to that effect)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The ultimate paradox-- often times the best person for a job is the person who is so busy that he/she doesn't have time to take on a new job. Likewise, I find that I have more people seeking out my services the less I have time to take people on.

On the other hand it takes a long time to learn to set boundries and achieve balance in life. There is nothing like having a family to force the issue of balance. It is never perfect and I suppose I will be trying to figure out this one until I die.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good one Peat.

Well 1. usually takes care of 2.

I've been doing 38 hours a week of cooking in kitchen restaurant combined with 36 hours of studio time for the past year... I feel like a wreck all of the time.
I've said goodbye to the kitchen yesterday.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Clients has to learn tracking themselves or to pay extra for an assistent if they want to work extra hours.
You are a man not a machine!
They just have to understand that!

IΒ΄ve been doing what you are doing for quiet long time but now I have a doughter and that has given me some perspective in life!

I wish you the best

Rickard
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been tracking since the 70's --most session are under 6 hours. I start about 11 am /// (walk down to the gym @ 9) You just have to charge enough > hourly
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I work seven days a week and try to take a day off every month or two. I survive by never complaining about too much work, because it could easily be just the opposite (and is that way for a lot guy I know that are more talented than I am). I also keep in my that even my toughest days in the studio are days that guys and gals that do really labor for a living would dream of.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
I work seven days a week and try to take a day off every month or two. I survive by never complaining about too much work, because it could easily be just the opposite (and is that way for a lot guy I know that are more talented than I am). I also keep in my that even my toughest days in the studio are days that guys and gals that do really labor for a living would dream of.
I guess you are right man, i shouldnt complain actually, its just that i feel tired you know?, and i mean like really really tired. So i just wanted to know how the rest of you guys deal with it and be able to live a "normal" life.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If yer in that much demand, you have to raise your rates.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Normal" life, yeah sure, good one, what's that like?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
"Normal" life, yeah sure, good one, what's that like?
LMAO, hehehe i guess we are not normal in the first place....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
So i just wanted to know how the rest of you guys deal with it and be able to live a "normal" life.
I got into this so I would not have a normal life , But I know what you are talking about. Sometimes this stuff just wears you down.

One thing I have found is that many clients are completely fine with you limiting the hours you work in a day. Its hard to change things with old clients, but new ones you can tell them that you work from 11-9 or what ever is best for you. Sometimes this actually helps the bands and gets them to focus and get rest themselves.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Raise your rates, never work on Sunday, and start exercising and eating right. Set your rules and stick to them, or you will work all the time. In a few years you will probably hate your life. Don't just settle. Do exactly what you want. What's the point in doing what you want if you're tired all the time and burned out.

Write down your ultimate lifestyle, then take the steps necessary to get there. It might not happen next week, but in a year you could be living exactly the way you want. How awesome would that be!

You will feel 100% better if you do it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne ➑️
Raise your rates, never work on Sunday, and start exercising and eating right. Set your rules and stick to them, or you will work all the time. In a few years you will probably hate your life. Don't just settle. Do exactly what you want. What's the point in doing what you want if you're tired all the time and burned out.

Write down your ultimate lifestyle, then take the steps necessary to get there. It might not happen next week, but in a year you could be living exactly the way you want. How awesome would that be!

You will feel 100% better if you do it.
I was thinking of excercising to feel better but when i wake up i feel so ****ty that im glad im alive!, but you are absolutely right, i should never work on Sunday, that will help inmensely. Ill try the writting the ultimate lifestyle thing, sounds like a very good idea. Thanks for the tip !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A beer when you need to relax, cup or 3 of good coffee when you need to perk up, cat naps in the control room between sessions, plenty of good healthy food, B12 supplements...

And yeah, doubling your rate and halving your clients.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
Ok im up to a point that i have recording/mixing sessions every day, and i mean even saturdays and sundays. They are long sessions that start early in the morning and they finish... early in the morning. I just want to sleep for a YEAR!, is anyone out there feeling the same way i do?, how do you handle it? i mean i feel that if i continue like this, ill be dead in no time hehehe, i love my job but come on!!!!!
in the same boat. that one-day-off-a-month is awesome.

if you're like me, you're probably at a lowish pricepoint and stay booked like crazy bc of it. been thinking about raising my prices to counterbalance it.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eat fruit, and take excercise breaks like the evil russians. Pullups and pushups are good, situps are not.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Set some priorities, brother. Your health and well being, or playing with expensive toys in a dimly lit room? You probably need to give yourself a regular schedule and adhere to it. If people want to work with you, they must respect your requirements. You could look at it like a fine wine -- limited availability increases the value and desirability af a given vintage. But you really should give yourself a break. Even a fun job is still work, especially if you're at it too long.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. learn to say no to crap.
2. charge more
3. stop after 10 hours (oddly enough, this garners more respect from your clients)
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If you're making at living out of your studio, I don't think aiming to decrease your number of clients is good business practice. All of the advice given by other members is good (i.e., eat better, set boundaries for how long sessions can be, exercise, etc.).
What I would do is increase your hourly rates, and hire someone to work the hours (or projects) you don't want to do.
Example:
If you are currently working 70 hours at $40/hr, that = $2800/wk
If you increase your rate to $60/hr and hire somebody, say at $25/hr, then you can each do 35 hours a week, and still make more money:
70 hrs x $60/hr - (35 hrs x $25) = $3325

Work half as much and make more money. heh This is just an example to illustrate my point.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well first off, congrats for getting that kind of demand up and running.

the above "hire someone else and share the work" could be great if you know someone that you trust enough to do that but the danger is that his hypothetical screw-ups will reflect on you if you do that.

Also, if you raise your rates there's always the chance that you will reduce your clients by less than half which would make your more money and still get you your weekends back or whatever. I think how much you're effected depends on what price-point you're at and where you'd be moving to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoudie ➑️
Well first off, congrats for getting that kind of demand up and running.

the above "hire someone else and share the work" could be great if you know someone that you trust enough to do that but the danger is that his hypothetical screw-ups will reflect on you if you do that.

Also, if you raise your rates there's always the chance that you will reduce your clients by less than half which would make your more money and still get you your weekends back or whatever. I think how much you're effected depends on what price-point you're at and where you'd be moving to.
That sounds like a good idea guys, the thing is that im not a studio owner, im a freelance engineer, i work in some studios, and the thing is that if someone hires me, i cant send another guy to do my job cuz the clients will say WTF??. But i do get your point, im actually on the planning stage of building my own studio, i also do some work at my home studio, but i only do small stuff there like little mixes for publicity and stuff like that, 95% of the time im working on someone elses studio.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peat ➑️
1. double your rate

2. halve your clients

3. make same money, work half as much

(or something to that effect)
Keep asking for more dough until they stop calling. Only work with the fun clients.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…