Quantcast
Mic Pre Decision Time- CL 7602 or Speck MicPre 5.0 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Pre Decision Time- CL 7602 or Speck MicPre 5.0
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
First Quality pre purchase ! Yikes You think you've narrowed it down, but you haven't used either! and thats the problem! Beg, barrow, rent, Find a dealer Who has both and will let you return it if you don't like it!

Now for my $.0002 (it was my $.02 but the economy) My bias is to always buy something that I'm going to keep for ever so do it right and like war I would probably put the money in a great mike first. If you must buy a pre of those mentioned I think you want the modified 7602 (neve sound) or Daking (Trident A range) I love The Speck but my gut is you want color Also I would think about a Used lunchbox and a API or Averil 312 (that other classic color) Your Going to find you really want all four colors and the only way to figure out which is going to fit you first is to play with them!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes i understand my mic situation is not up to par. But i must say, i am quite pleased with my oktavamod. it was an upgrade from the NT-2 and it has changed the sound of vocals significantly. I just think it is too dark of a mic to pair up with my meek. Hence the thought of getting a new pre.

Just a fyi, I am not a newbie when it comes to studio gear. I am actually a pop artist here in china and have recorded 3 major LP releases. My vocal chain in the big studio here is a Neumann M149 > BAE 1073> GML EQ> Tubetech CL 1b. I really love that chain but i dont have 10k just laying around (all with time...)

If i were to get another mic, i would get something i could keep forever. I also make my purchases based on this premise. So i have thought about getting an AT or a Shure KSM but I feel like I will grow out of those mics. So besides this pre decision, I am in the market for a SM7B, Peluso 2247, or vintage U87. But i dont have 2gs to drop right now and i need to start recording and gettin my songs to tape asap. So for now, its an oktavamod and a new pre to go with it.

Is my reasoning wrong?
📝 Reply