Quantcast
I love my Peluso 2247. But now it's buzzing like a champ. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I love my Peluso 2247. But now it's buzzing like a champ.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I love my Peluso 2247. But now it's buzzing like a champ.

I am the proud owner of a Peluso 2247. Great mic, gotten a lot of use in the two years I've owned it.

It has done a couple funny things lately, and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what's up.

First, there were a few times when I'd power everything up and the mic would sound "wooly" / "covered in a blanket" and when recorded would render these lopsided waveforms (attached; the weird one is on top). Turning the pre up and making a loud plosive into the mic would sort of 'shock' things back to normal. I figured this was a bad chord issue but could never quite prove it and it hasn't done that in a few months.

I did some recording remotely and carried the peluso (in its case) there and back for a few days.

Whether that's the cause or not, since then I've noticed a quiet buzzing sound - sounds like ground buzz but fairly quiet, and not a big problem unless it's compressed in a quiet section or soloed (this is rock we're talking about). I went back to an earlier recording to make sure I'm not just noticing noise floor, but that's not it.

I've tried plugging the power supply into different sockets, used different XLR chords, different preamp channels, different 003 channels, etc. The only variable I can't swap out is the many-pinned mic > power supply chord.

I'm more of a musician than engineer and more of an engineer than tech, and not very familiar with tube mic maintenance.

So my question is, does this suggest anything to you all? Microphonic tubes? Power supply issues? This mic is central to my little home studio, so I'd rather not bring it in to a shop if they won't be of much help.

thanks!
b
Attached Thumbnails
I love my Peluso 2247.  But now it's buzzing like a champ.-weirdwaveforms.jpg  
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd email John Peluso and send it to him.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From your post I'm guessing it's used and out of warranty because Peluso's are warrantied for 3 years so contacting Peluso would be the first thing I do. Here is the warranty info from his website...

Peluso Microphone Lab

I've heard great things about Peluso's service but luckily haven't had to use it yet. With tube mics it seems pretty standard to look at the tube first though. Why don't you put an mp3 of the noise it's making up and I'm sure you will get an answer quickly.
cam
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
It probably just needs another tube... call John Peluso and get the thing straightened out.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
It probably just needs another tube... call John Peluso and get the thing straightened out.
ok
will do
i emailed them last week and hadn't heard back, so i came crawling to you folks!

i'll give him a ring, it is still under warranty if it's for 3 years..

thanks again
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenintime ➑️
ok
will do
i emailed them last week and hadn't heard back, so i came crawling to you folks!

i'll give him a ring, it is still under warranty if it's for 3 years..

thanks again
Go with the phone. He's not the best at email correspondence.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
Go with the phone. He's not the best at email correspondence.
Ill second that several times...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought a 2247 LE a few months ago and have a similar problem with the buzzing. I havent used it all that often (apart from a room mic where any buzz was drowned out anyway), so i havent bothered to contact anyone to fix it. Id be interested to hear what happens with your mic, hope its not a serious problem.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know he had a batch of bad power cables (PS to mic) because I had to get mine replaced. Ours was acting a little squirrely, some buzzing, some strange recordings but nothing easily reproduced and then BOOM... intermittent audio.

John took care of it quickly without fuss. Great customer service.

Just another possibility.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
And another possibility is Lift the ground. This will probably do the trick.

Sounds like the same problem I had with my LE and buzz went right away.
Attached Thumbnails
I love my Peluso 2247.  But now it's buzzing like a champ.-419gy.jpg  
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i've called peluso two or three times in the last few weeks and have not received a reply. which is pretty ridiculous. anyone know how to get in touch with this company?!? i am using the # on their website (540-789-4100).

thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hmm... that's the number we've called in the past. Perhaps his VM system is acting up? Maybe try e-mail too?

Hope everything is alright. We are considering a second 2247 so we can have a pair.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
actually, i had already emailed him in january, with no reply.

however, i just emailed him now (saturday afternoon) and received a reply within 2 minutes. apparently he was just checking his spam filter, where my message had ended up (perhaps mentioning *****slutz' in an email isn't the best thing for spam filters, eh?), and indeed his voice mail had crashed once or twice in february.

he said turn around was a week on the 2247, all good.

thanks all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Leaf ➑️
That was my first guess.

Although this wouldn't really be the type on problem to just pop up suddenly or get better from turning the pre up and making a plosive into it.

Oh... an Mr. Peluso hasn't been so quick at returning my calls, either.

Last edited by Makinithappen; 28th February 2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: added...
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another buzz-maker is computer gear. I moved the transformer part of my computer adapter to defeat a renegade buzz in my 2247LE...
Old 13th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Was there ever any resolution to the Peluso buzzing issue? I'm in the same boat. Thanks.
Old 13th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i moved my studio from my apartment to a separate space and the buzz went away. ugh. best of luck.

(of course, i've had OTHER buzz problems here, but they are broader and not specific to the peluso.)
Old 14th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBArnold ➑️

Sounds like the same problem I had with my LE and buzz went right away.
exact same situation here with my 2247le. ground lift solved it right away. its iec cable now has a permanent ground lift on it and no problems since.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You shouldn't lift power grounds - its dangerous and sometimes illegal.
Old 15th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenintime ➑️
i moved my studio from my apartment to a separate space and the buzz went away. ugh. best of luck.

(of course, i've had OTHER buzz problems here, but they are broader and not specific to the peluso.)
Incandescent lamp dimmers? Fluorescent lamps in your old apartment or even a nearby one? Long, high impedance ground leads? Those damm CFL incandescent replacements? Improperly wired (hot and return switched) AC outlets? Motorized appliances too close or plugged into the same power feed as your audio gear? Phase of the moon?
All of these common power issues can cause intermittent "buzz".
Ah, the joys of urban living!
πŸ“ Reply