The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
greetings from russ elevado and nikka costa
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado ➡️
fluke,

the K&H eq's were actually loaned to us by one of justin's friends. i had an offer to buy a pair from a german friend years ago but didn't buy them in the end. but over the years i've seen them pop up in conversation or on ebay. so when they were available to try out for nikka's project i gladly accepted.

they turned out to not be in proper working order. they made a lot of noise and the controls didn't work right. i was running the drums through them at the time and i turned the power swtiches off once i realized i wasn't going to use them. but the song was still playing so the drums (still running through them) started to get really distorted and finally disintegrated into nothing as the current eventually escaped from the capacitors. it sounded awesome! so i actually used them for an effect on the drums for the end of "bullets in the sky". if you listen you'll hear the drums gradually get distorted at the very end of the song.
Haha, that's great! Doesn't happen in the digital world!
Thank you.
Gotta fire up the ones we have, hope they work!

Cheers,

F.
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
fluke,

the K&H eq's were actually loaned to us by one of justin's friends. i had an offer to buy a pair from a german friend years ago but didn't buy them in the end. but over the years i've seen them pop up in conversation or on ebay. so when they were available to try out for nikka's project i gladly accepted.

they turned out to not be in proper working order. they made a lot of noise and the controls didn't work right. i was running the drums through them at the time and i turned the power swtiches off once i realized i wasn't going to use them. but the song was still playing so the drums (still running through them) started to get really distorted and finally disintegrated into nothing as the current eventually escaped from the capacitors. it sounded awesome! so i actually used them for an effect on the drums for the end of "bullets in the sky". if you listen you'll hear the drums gradually get distorted at the very end of the song.

You Know Your A Sound Engineer IF............. the Equipment you has stopped working properly means its working in top Condition......heh
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
they turned out to not be in proper working order. they made a lot of noise and the controls didn't work right. i was running the drums through them at the time and i turned the power swtiches off once i realized i wasn't going to use them. but the song was still playing so the drums (still running through them) started to get really distorted and finally disintegrated into nothing as the current eventually escaped from the capacitors. it sounded awesome! so i actually used them for an effect on the drums for the end of "bullets in the sky". if you listen you'll hear the drums gradually get distorted at the very end.
That's one of the reasons why I dig your mixes! You're not afraid to take it to the next level and do some crazy ish!
I'll try to see if I can find the record!

I recorded, mixed, and mastered a new danish hiphop record. In fact it just came out in stores today! It's on vinyl as well as CD. REN REFLEX - ALBUM UDE 16.03.2009! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Thanks for stopping by again! It's always good to hear about your new projects! Keep us updated!

Anders

PS. When is the new D'Angelo record coming?
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
big up yourself, mr. elevado!
voodoo is one of my favorite albums ever, both artistic and sonics wise.
(we're all waiting for the next d'angelo.)
thanks for sharing your knowledge and inspiration on this forum
one love!
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Heard two cuts on Thursday nights prime time shows. Bones and I think Private Practice... Sounded great through the tv speakers!
Old 7th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi Russ!

I am a big Fan of Nikka and have all her Records.

Maybe this album is not my favorite because I like her better when she have more edge but definately I am VERY impressed with the Mixing and Recording.

You blew me away how you could recreate that Old School retro sound in such authentic way! that was amazing!!

I do want another Nikka edgier record .... I love Nikka's vocal on" Everybody’s Got Their Something” CD!!

Really impressive the different approach in both records and in the new one ..so authentic!
Congrats!!
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 ➡️
Hey Russ,

I first saw a castle phaser in, if my memory serves me right, Tony Maserati's rack while at SMS new york in 2001 or so. There are only 300 or so in existence, made in late 70's early 80's in a garage. They came as a pedal, 1u single channel, and 2u two channel (Mas has the 2u). It took me 5 years but I finally found a pedal and then a 1u within a 2 week period. Anyhow, they sound amazing. Better than any other phaser I've heard, and I've heard a few.

Here are a couple of pics of my Castles:
That's great that you found some Castles! I've been looking for 30 years for them...got the catalog back in 1981. Yours look like they're in great shape, too. Saw one on ebay for $1500. Ouch, but they're good... Any hints for finding one? Do you know if the guy who made them is still around? They were located in NJ.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
hello russ, will this record be available on HDtracks at some point in a High Res Format ? i.e.: 24/96

also: vinyl release ?

cheers

john
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Still wearing out Pebble to a Pearl in the car all the time. One of the best sounding records ever!

It sounds so good in my car, its like you mixed it there!

JC
📝 Reply