Quantcast
greetings from russ elevado and nikka costa - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
greetings from russ elevado and nikka costa
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hey russ! congratulations... i love the record... nikka's recent work is amazing!

great vibe too!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This record is making my day! It would make George Clinton proud!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem ➑️
hey russ,
great sounding record.
can you tell what mics and comp. were used on drums?
specially ohs.

do you use overheads for the main drum sound in songs like
keep pushing...keep wanting.?
nice funky vibe.i like.

was the bassdrum closed or open front?

i always liked the dist. on nikkas vocals.any hint here?
i remember someone telling me that a lot mercury
equipment was used on one of the older albums.

thank you
best cem
hey cem,

first i should say that the legendary James Gadson was the drummer for that record. for those that don't know, he was the drummer for all the classic bill wither's records. as you can tell he's still funky and still rockin!

for these drums i used a few different combinations:
kick- d12, fet47, re20
sn- sm57, 451, u67
hat - km84, m582
toms- 421
overheads/room- u47, coles, stc, rca44, u67, c12

as you can see, i had an abundance of really nice mics. some were mine and others were hensons.

in general, i always try and get a good balance between the close mics and the overheads/room mics. depending on the song and it's dynamics and frequencies depends on how much of the overhead sound i use. usually wnet for a big natural but compressed sound. getting a blend between the raw sound and the compressed sounds.

i've talked about some of my techniques in the Q&A here...

her vocals are distorted?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado ➑️
hey paul,

well yes on a big production that would end up being my typical work environment. justin had some of his vintage pieces to add to the mix.

i've never been really too concerned what it might be doing to the room acoustics but i would be able to hear if something was drastically wrong in the room. it's never really been an issue. but you do need adequate air conditioning...

that is a mutron-bi phase
Awesome of you to jump in here!

There has to be some weird acoustic stuff happening with the hi frequency reflections, but it hasn't affected Michael Brauer's mixes either! LOL
Your records sound great.

The piece I was referring to is on the right of the picture, and looks curiously like an out-of-place digidesign keyboard amongst all that old-school vibe!

Just messin' with you! It's all about the job, not the tools, right?

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
LOL, ok i'm busted.

actually that is a computer keyboard. the demos of the songs were on pro tools so at times we were referencing the rhythm section or other things.

there were a some vocal overdubs and some strings that were done at justin's studio on pro tools and were transferred to tape before the mix. justin's got a nice set up at home and a great collection of instruments and gear. everything was mixed off 48trks of tape.

and when was a need to edit the entire song or marry 2 different takes together, i edited the 2" tape.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LOL, ok i'm busted.

actually that is a computer keyboard. the demos of the songs were on pro tools so at times we were referencing the rhythm section or other things.

there were a some vocal overdubs and some strings that were done at justin's studio on pro tools and were transferred to tape before the mix. justin's got a nice set up at home and a great collection of instruments and gear. everything was mixed off 48trks of tape.

and when was a need to edit the entire song or marry 2 different takes together, i edited the 2" tape.
Now I can't even listen to that record! I hear the digital all over it!!!heh
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the post!

What a great sounding record! I'm just talking it in.

Did the record stay to tape for mastering? It would be very interesting to know your thoughts.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
Now I can't even listen to that record! I hear the digital all over it!!!heh
i cannot tell a lie...but i can keep some secrets
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Music FND ➑️
Thanks for the post!
What a great sounding record! I'm just talking it in.
Did the record stay to tape for mastering? It would be very interesting to know your thoughts.
thanks Royal!

yes we mastered from the 1/2" tape. if we went through all this bother and then master from wav files would be a shame.

believe it or not, only 10 years ago, that was the standard. you came in with your tapes and mastered them. wow, what a concept!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Hi again Russ!

Damn I thought Nikka was here too

Oh.... she's married
hehehe...careful justin might be reading this

she is a babe though! she's also the coolest and a good friend...

how's things blast?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
chambers

hi russ,

can you say a little on your use of the chambers..

is it similar to al schmitt's 5 chambers panned technique or more discrete?

p.s. the work with iet is sounding cool too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaneer ➑️
hi russ,
can you say a little on your use of the chambers..
is it similar to al schmitt's 5 chambers panned technique or more discrete?
p.s. the work with iet is sounding cool too.
hi ninja,

yes similar approach. i used a different chamber or plate for each instrument and panned with the instrument or opposite is nice too...

hmmm, you know iet???
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... you know iet???
just through myspace..
i like what i've heard so far and the rough version of 'something out there' is one of my favourites.

good luck with the album.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
tape is great, once you use it you can never stop using it , i like how the songs are all blended nicely and not harsh or fatiguing just right.... Russ first and foremost nice job... i never heard of nikka before and now im all excited , i took a peak and i really like it.. by the way do you happen to know what unit is right behind you, its on the left side of the rack with the WSW's and altec 322c and its underneath what looks like an orban device....whitish looking with 2 meters on it....i think ive seen it before in a picture...i think MHB has one...
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Russel CONGRATS!!

Quote:
what's up gearslutz,

how's everyone doin? i hope you're all really well...

i thought some of you folks might want to hear some good old analog recordings. so if you haven't bought it already, then go out and pick it up after you finish reading this.

we finished up nikka costa's "pebble to a pearl" album back in april of last year. we went full analog, no plug ins, etc, etc and tracked and mixed at Henson studios (formerly) A&M studios. well i'm really pleased how this one came out. nikka and husband/producer justin stanley have done a real fine job of crafting these songs.

and they were also adament about staying with old school production methods like tracking the band all live (including nikka's lead), tape editing (woohoo), you know real stuff like that. and we had 8 natural chambers and 8 emt plates for all analog verb at henson studio's. and of course all my usual pedals and tape echoes.

post up and say hello and i'll even answer a question or two...

cheers

at henson studios mixing nikka

Dude first off major major major love for this record. This is better than most of the hip hop records in the last 5 years, in terms of sonics, groove and just outright bottom you have indeed nailed it. Where is the Grammy nomination for audio engineering for this record?

I primarily mix hip hop and rock music but just wanted to let you know that you are the main reason I mix on boards and use reel to reel machines.

I am a huge D'Angelo and Erykah Badu fan. Your work is stellar and has such a modern sensibility coupled with old school flavor that you are someone to not only admire but model.

I have by no means anything comparable to you, but I'm ecstatic that you track at 15ips.

I'm waiting for my low budget reel to reel to arrive from LA as we speak.

Its a Tascam 38 8 track reel to reel, which may get some mods depending on budget. But it definitely does the 15ips thing and I will getting it set up for RMGI SM468 however you really have me wringing my hands about using ATR tape. It sounds so freaking phat!

I unfortunately don't have enough machines to do a 48 or even 16 track setup like you, but I'm going to dump everything to tape that I can via some custom tube and class a pres and try duping it back to the DAW thru the repro head (8 tracks at a time). Not exactly the same as what you do but may be the ticket for someone who is limited in tracks.

Either way man that's my problem and not yours.

Just wanted to wish you the best!

I'm going out to buy this album today btw. I have to have it on CD, f**k an mp3, I want the real deal Holyfield. This is coming from a guy who doesn't buy any records anymore.

Thanks for giving me some moving product. Big ups to Nikki too, you go! From one parent to another, Moms ROCK!

Peace
Illumination
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
good to see justin stanley get some props on here, he's one hell of a producer

Love the sound of Jamie Lidell's 'Jim' LP

I'll definitely be checking out this one too
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seriously one of the best albums I've heard in years. Songwriting, performance, production, all top notch.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man. I love this record. Clearly a hat tip to Stevie Wonder at times, but done in her own way with her own personality! Love it.

Russ: What's the bass sound on "keep wanting more"?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your the man Russ

I don't like alot of the sound of music today. I'm 32 and grew up on all sorts but I was a hip hop listener from 86 onwards. So Run DMC and Marley Marl to Premier and Pete Rock etc. That era was tape.
D&D studios with DJ Premier had a real hip hop sound. I wish there ws more of that righteous gritty hip hop around.

You did Dangelo "voodoo" I think. That was a really good sound. I think I like old sounds. Like hip hop sampling late 60's early 70's all the time.

The other group I've got a couple of CDs of is Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. My Mum played me the CD and said it was recently recorded. I said no this was definitely 1969. I am an expert from searching through vinyl records I told her.

Dang that group recording to tape and using spring reverb plus the music really fooled me. And it broke the spell I was under thinking that sound is gone and in the past. Ha ha. Life is good.

I just have a little MIDI production digital studio but want to bounce to tape.

Anyway, my point is I really appreciate the efforts of people that give us the food and medicine we need. It seems to be analogue sound.

I'm gonna have to check out your other productions seeing as you really are an analogue warrior.
Peace out from New Zealand.

PS, DJ Premier should never have gone to pro tools.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks for listening everyone and all the praises

i too believe it's a great record and not just 'cause i worked on it!

bass sound on "keep wanting more" is a bit vague in my memory but i think it's the electric bass over driven through the amp or the overdrive could be from a fulltone bass drive, but im not positive on either one...sorry.

sorry for the late reply but i've been busy working in europe and traveling a bit. i can answer more questions but i can't promise a timely reply. but feel free to ask or just say hello.

al the best and thanks!
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks for recalibrating my ears
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utters ➑️
good to see justin stanley get some props on here, he's one hell of a producer
Love the sound of Jamie Lidell's 'Jim' LP
I'll definitely be checking out this one too
utters, nice of you to mention justin!
yes justin's a really great producer and he's also very old school.
i mixed her first album and recorded a lot of the basic tracks but i wasn't present for her second album. so i was thrilled when they called me to work on this album. she is the only one that can pull off this style of music. i haven't really heard another female singer do a rock/funk/soul album since maybe betty davis.

justin and i have similar influences in music and we are close in age as well and in fact, we have the same birthday! we don't really have to say much to each other to know what each is thinking. he's got a really nice collection of vintage instruments and gear. it was an easy record to do in fact. we had great musician's, incredible studio, great songs and some of the best gear in the world...

i'm looking forward to our next journey together...

BTW, where are you justin??? post up an anecdote or two!
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Russ,

Thank you for sharing this info!

It is a very nice album and your work is magnificent!

I love the details and the separation in the mixes. I have been listening it for days ..... really enjoying it

Best,

D

Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
offtopic sorry, but Russell can you shed any light about D'Angelo's things? Are you working with him now?

thanks about this nice Nikka Costa topic!

DOOG
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall ➑️
Just listened to some of this off myspace.. No school like the old school..
Great vibe, cool sounds, refreshing even.. Prowhat? Digiwho?
Something must be wrong here? It's not slammed to the wall and limited to the rafters!
It's not leaving me with that walking away kicked in the nutz feeling heh
thanks randall!
nice that the old school sound translates even from an internet player.
we didn't use any compression during the mastering. we mastered with Dave Collins who was the former chief mastering engineer at A&M studios before it became henson. he's got his own place called "Dave Collins Mastering" in LA.

turn up the volume if you want to hear it louder...
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's exactly what I wrote in the booklet of the last album I've mixed: "F**k loudness war, turn up your volume knob to play it louder!". Elevado's big mind!

T.
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mr. Elevado,
Talking about a 'slutty' setup! I'm gonna stop watching that picture cause it's making me dizzy! I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of that album.
But what I was wondering; did you use those ten ton Klein + Hummel eq's? And if so, what did you use it on? The reason why I'm asking is that we have two of them in our storage room and I never got the chance to hook them up... I don't even know they still work. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

F.
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
fluke,

the K&H eq's were actually loaned to us by one of justin's friends. i had an offer to buy a pair from a german friend years ago but didn't buy them in the end. but over the years i've seen them pop up in conversation or on ebay. so when they were available to try out for nikka's project i gladly accepted.

they turned out to not be in proper working order. they made a lot of noise and the controls didn't work right. i was running the drums through them at the time and i turned the power swtiches off once i realized i wasn't going to use them. but the song was still playing so the drums (still running through them) started to get really distorted and finally disintegrated into nothing as the current eventually escaped from the capacitors. it sounded awesome! so i actually used them for an effect on the drums for the end of "bullets in the sky". if you listen you'll hear the drums gradually get distorted at the very end.
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mastering...

Quote:
thanks randall!
nice that the old school sound translates even from an internet player.
we didn't use any compression during the mastering. we mastered with Dave Collins who was the former chief mastering engineer at A&M studios before it became henson. he's got his own place called "Dave Collins Mastering" in LA.

Care to elaborate a little on the mastering job by Dave Collins??

I'm curious if he mastered to tape?

What did he do for level? Obviously you mixed to tape, so maybe there's an answer regarding level?

In the car, I was VERY curious as to how the hell you guys preserved the transients in mastering because there's no "ceiling," on the songs. Now u say that there was no compression used in mastering!

Do you think that something like that would work for hip hop? No compression in mastering? I'm always in pursuit of the golden transient. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Peace
Illumination
πŸ“ Reply