Quantcast
The Queen is Dead Bass Sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Queen is Dead Bass Sound
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Queen is Dead Bass Sound

I must say, I love Andy Rourke's bass sound throughout the entire The Queen is Dead album. Absolutely fantastic record all around but that bass sound really sparks out at me. Anyone have any insight on how they achieved this?

Last edited by ColourSurround; 4th February 2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Mickey Rourke is in fact an actor
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mickey Rourke = Actor
Andy Rourke = Former Smiths Bass Player

Found this maybe check it out.

Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefoot ➡️
Mickey Rourke = Actor

LOL!

I'm actually a huge fan of The Smiths tone and have copped some pretty close bass tones using the Sansamp Bass Driver. Proper tweaking on that unit along with your bass tone knobs and you can achieve almost any bass tone or close to it that you want. I know there are still a lot of producers out there that are diehards when it comes to miking up a cab but I've eliminated a lot of trial and error with just using a good quality bass and the Sansamp DI.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Rourke's work with The Smiths is sorely overlooked. I enjoyed his playing more than Marr (and I loved his stuff)!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Queen is Dead is such a classic album. Sorry I don't have any information on the bass. I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents about how much I love this album and band.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the very definition of musical, lyrical and beautiful artistic expression in my book.

"There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" is a song by the The Smiths, written by Morrissey and Johnny Marr. It was originally featured on their 1986 album The Queen Is Dead, but despite its popularity it was not released as a single until 1992, after The Smiths split up. Morrissey re-released the song as a double A-side live single (with his cover of Patti Smith's "Redondo Beach") in 2005, which reached #11 in the UK singles chart. The song has been voted highly in numerous "best ever" song lists.

The song lyrically utilises a first-person narrative concerning yearning, anxiety, and implied romance. Morrissey assumes the role of a person who has, one could infer from the lyrics, been kicked out of home, so seeks solace and company in the form of the person the song addresses - the car's driver.

Musically, the song begins with a staccato bridge similar to that heard on "Hitch Hike" by Marvin Gaye and "There She Goes Again" by The Velvet Underground, which recurs as a musical motif throughout the song. With synthesized strings, a balladesque arrangement and yearning lyrics, many listeners have viewed "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" as a straightforward love song despite some ambiguity in the lyrics themselves.
Vum
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Barbarism Begins at Home" thumbsup

For almost all of Rouke's bass tone, get a pick, light chorusing, new strings and you're set
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mickey Rourke = Actor

Found this maybe check it out.

Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases
Hey, I reviewed this DVD for The Register Guard here in Eugene:
http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/i...on-the-smiths/

Wait, nevermind...different Smiths DVD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If my memory serves me correct he played bass on some of The Pretenders stuff as well. I love that band too, such great songs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum ➡️
"Barbarism Begins at Home" thumbsup

For almost all of Rouke's bass tone, get a pick, light chorusing, new strings and you're set
And a Fender Precision...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➡️
And a Fender Precision...
And an EARLY 80's Yamaha Bass... it was for sale a few yrs ago on ebay. I was drooling like a rabid dog cos im a massive fan but would care more for a lock of Mozza's 'Quif'

Wiggy
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy Rourke has got to be the most underated bass player ever, I think his bass sound is achieved also by the way the rest of the instruments are mixed. The Smiths records always sound wonderful to me, nice and warm, almost flat,so I think just a hint of mid-range bass really pops, Johnny Marrs guitars are never too bright, and Morrissey voice doesn't feel up where the bass is , so the bass really zings through the mix.

This is maybe my favorite band of all time, incredibly overlooked by most of the world. I had all their records when i was kid, even before I had an interest in making music. I still listen to them all the time, and am more interested in what they did, now more than ever.
If "There is a light that never goes out" hit F.M. radio right now, people
would be falling all over themselves, what a masterpiece. That bass line
knocks me out everytime i hear it.

On another note, if Micky Rourke played bass for the Smiths, then we probably would never of had "Barfly" , on account of heavy touring
and arguements with morrissey about personal higene.lol!!
Great movie!!
I'd give my pinky toe if the Smiths got back together, could never understand why they went different ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not a big Smith's fan, but that seems like a somewhat thinned out Precision Bass sound...if you have a P-Bass, a half decent eq, and a pick then it should be cake. It seems HighPassed pretty high to get rid of rumble, accent the P-Bass peak a little, and don't roll off the highs too much. It even sounds like it was done with mostly or all of a direct signal so it's even easier really.

I think what mainly makes the bass stick out the most, is that everything isn't stepping on each other musically or sonically. I would bet that this is an excellent example of the solo'd tracks probably sound like utter ****, but when it comes together it sounds perfect. P-Bass is another one of those things that just sound aweful solo'd, but when you put it in the mix it peaks out perfectly through just about anything and has the perfect lowend...I hate it really.
cam
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
[quote=Grumblefoot;3879850]Mickey Rourke = Actor

Haha the funny thing is I'm a HUGE Smiths fan but I didn't even notice I put that on there. I did literally just get back from seeing The Wrestler (great flick) and thus the mix-up, but as long as you guys got the point it's all good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=steelyfan;3881463]Andy Rourke has got to be the most underated bass player ever, I think his bass sound is achieved also by the way the rest of the instruments are mixed. The Smiths records always sound wonderful to me, nice and warm, almost flat,so I think just a hint of mid-range bass really pops, Johnny Marrs guitars are never too bright, and Morrissey voice doesn't feel up where the bass is , so the bass really zings through the mix.

QUOTE]

I like The Smiths but I'm a "fan" if you know what I mean...Some songs are truely great and the idosyncratic playing of Marr, Rourke and al makes it an important band BUT something I strongly don't like and I wish it was done differently are the mixes and some of the silly production applied in it. The gated verb and all that 80's pop studio gimmicks. it nearly ruins the whole experience...Saved only because the songs and lyrics are well crafted. I have the same feeling towards The Pixies' Bosa Nova....Great albun nearly killed by over zealous engineer/mixer who wanted to make it trendy by applying the same silly big studio 80's ******ies. Listen to Surfer Rosa...So much more powerful and less dated.
SOMEONE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THE INVENTION OF THE GATED VERB!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[quote=baikonour;3882170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➡️
Andy Rourke has got to be the most underated bass player ever, I think his bass sound is achieved also by the way the rest of the instruments are mixed. The Smiths records always sound wonderful to me, nice and warm, almost flat,so I think just a hint of mid-range bass really pops, Johnny Marrs guitars are never too bright, and Morrissey voice doesn't feel up where the bass is , so the bass really zings through the mix.

QUOTE]

I like The Smiths but I'm a "fan" if you know what I mean...Some songs are truely great and the idosyncratic playing of Marr, Rourke and al makes it an important band BUT something I strongly don't like and I wish it was done differently are the mixes and some of the silly production applied in it. The gated verb and all that 80's pop studio gimmicks. it nearly ruins the whole experience...Saved only because the songs and lyrics are well crafted. I have the same feeling towards The Pixies' Bosa Nova....Great albun nearly killed by over zealous engineer/mixer who wanted to make it trendy by applying the same silly big studio 80's ******ies. Listen to Surfer Rosa...So much more powerful and less dated.
SOMEONE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THE INVENTION OF THE GATED VERB!!!!
Oh, I hear ya. Some of those drum verbs definately say 80's, but I do like how the mixes sound, especially how they did some of the guitars and general back ground noise/samples. I think the David Bowie drum sound they got happen' rubbed off on too many engineers/producers, and they just ran with it. If they'd mixed some off their early records like Marvin Gaye, or a really similar R & B record, man.... that would have been killer!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Probably the best rock n roll bassist since McCartney. No, I'm not kidding. So, so, so underrated. That said, the Smiths catalogue could do with a remastering. Either that or stick with the vinyl. The CDs kinda hurt my ears to be honest.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=steelyfan;3882206]
Quote:

Oh, I hear ya. Some of those drum verbs definately say 80's, but I do like how the mixes sound, especially how they did some of the guitars and general back ground noise/samples. I think the David Bowie drum sound they got happen' rubbed off on too many engineers/producers, and they just ran with it. If they'd mixed some off their early records like Marvin Gaye, or a really similar R & B record, man.... that would have been killer!
I'm with you there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➡️
Probably the best rock n roll bassist since McCartney. No, I'm not kidding. So, so, so underrated. That said, the Smiths catalogue could do with a remastering. Either that or stick with the vinyl. The CDs kinda hurt my ears to be honest.
I would love to hear some 24/96 masters straight from the master tape made for musicality and not loudness presented online. That would be heaven.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Its either a Yamaha BB series bass or its a Aria Pro series Bass.... both have a slightly piano like ring to them....neither sound anything like any bass Fender have ever made... Oh and given it was the early/ mid 80s......either Di'ed or a Trace Elliot rig...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Don't forget Peter Hook, great player rumored to be forming a duel bass band with Rourke.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Don't forget Peter Hook, great player rumored to be forming a duel bass band with Rourke.
Both of these guys are great and happen to be in two of my favorite bands. I love Peter's distinct tone, there is no mistaking it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good to know there are still fans of the underrated greats out there. Hooky and Rourke would make a killer combo, I'd be excited to hear it. And yes, I do know for a fact that Andy used a Trace Elliot rig at one point with the Smiths. Never used one myself though.
Vum
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Morrissey and Marr remastered their catalog in 2008.

New Smiths Compilation Remastered By Johnny - Johnny Marr

You can get it as a single disc or a double disc which includes remastered favorite B-sides and what not. It's pretty cool.

I agree with most people, the "sound" of the Smiths (especially after MIM or TQID) is pretty dated. I much prefer the sound of their debut to much of what is on Louder than Bombs or Strangeways...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum ➡️
Morrissey and Marr remastered their catalog in 2008.

New Smiths Compilation Remastered By Johnny - Johnny Marr

You can get it as a single disc or a double disc which includes remastered favorite B-sides and what not. It's pretty cool.

I agree with most people, the "sound" of the Smiths (especially after MIM or TQID) is pretty dated. I much prefer the sound of their debut to much of what is on Louder than Bombs or Strangeways...
How does it sound? Please don't tell me smashed to all hell and back, please...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
Its either a Yamaha BB series bass or its a Aria Pro series Bass.... both have a slightly piano like ring to them....neither sound anything like any bass Fender have ever made... Oh and given it was the early/ mid 80s......either Di'ed or a Trace Elliot rig...
Andy Rourke:

Basses ’64 Fender Precision, ’66 Fender Precision, Yamaha BB 2000 “for the funky stuff,” Guild M-85 on very early Smiths gigs; medium-gauge Rotosound strings in standard tuning, except for drop-D tuning on “How Soon Is Now” and “Shoplifters of the World Unite”
Rig Early Smiths: Peavey Mark III bass head with Ohm 4x10 and 1x15 cabinets; mid-to-late Smiths: Trace Elliot GP-11 heads with Trace Elliot 4x10 and 1x15 cabinets, Ampeg SVT and Ampeg 8x10 cabinets; post-Smiths: Marshall VBA400 head with Marshall 8x10 bass cabinet
Effects Boss Chorus and Boss Flanger pedals; Line 6 Bass POD Pro
“I got my main P-Bass when Seymour Stein from Sire took us down to Manny’s Music in New York to buy Johnny a guitar and me a bass. I picked out this old beat-up bass because its label said 1964—same year I was born. It has a really warm sound. When you crank it, it has a good growl that I don’t think you can get from any other bass.”
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Andy Rourke:

Basses ’64 Fender Precision, ’66 Fender Precision, Yamaha BB 2000 “for the funky stuff,” Guild M-85 on very early Smiths gigs; medium-gauge Rotosound strings in standard tuning, except for drop-D tuning on “How Soon Is Now” and “Shoplifters of the World Unite”
Rig Early Smiths: Peavey Mark III bass head with Ohm 4x10 and 1x15 cabinets; mid-to-late Smiths: Trace Elliot GP-11 heads with Trace Elliot 4x10 and 1x15 cabinets, Ampeg SVT and Ampeg 8x10 cabinets; post-Smiths: Marshall VBA400 head with Marshall 8x10 bass cabinet
Effects Boss Chorus and Boss Flanger pedals; Line 6 Bass POD Pro
“I got my main P-Bass when Seymour Stein from Sire took us down to Manny’s Music in New York to buy Johnny a guitar and me a bass. I picked out this old beat-up bass because its label said 1964—same year I was born. It has a really warm sound. When you crank it, it has a good growl that I don’t think you can get from any other bass.”

I saw them twice.... both times he was playing an Aria Pro.... he might well use that now..but back then he was using the same as just about every other Bass player in Britain...

The Smiths Glastonbury....f thats a Fender....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A lot of professional musicians don't take their baby out on tour, they take the kind of instrument that pays you money to be seen with their product. Then in the studio, they use the bass that they've had and cherish. The bass on the recording is almost for sure a P-Bass, they are unmistakable.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I put that dvd in my blockbuster que, I'll report back if it's any good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would love to know how those records were made. ( console, engineer, techniques , amps , etc>)

My wife bought me the book of the The Smiths, It's the one that runs down the making of every song, what studio , how they arrived at the songs, but there just wasn't enough techniqual talk for me..... which usually is less interesting than the music for myself, but in this case.....
I needed some answers!

I've been thinking about it, maybe my favorite band ever!!
Well.... At least in the top 5!
📝 Reply