The Queen is Dead Bass Sound - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Queen is Dead Bass Sound
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➡️
I would love to know how those records were made. ( console, engineer, techniques , amps , etc>)

My wife bought me the book of the The Smiths, It's the one that runs down the making of every song, what studio , how they arrived at the songs, but there just wasn't enough techniqual talk for me..... which usually is less interesting than the music for myself, but in this case.....
I needed some answers!

I've been thinking about it, maybe my favorite band ever!!
Well.... At least in the top 5!
What's the name of the book? I might need to pick that up. You have good, eclectic taste. I like SD as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wasn't Jules assistant engineer on the first album? Spill the beans man!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
I saw them twice.... both times he was playing an Aria Pro.... he might well use that now..but back then he was using the same as just about every other Bass player in Britain...

The Smiths Glastonbury....f thats a Fender....
On the picture below it looks like a beat up 60's Precision to me...But i'm not saying he used only this bass. i does sound like a precision on most records though... Also if you re-read the quote from the article I've pasted, you will notice that he bought this bass while in the US with the Smiths.
also here's a copy of the "meat is murder tour" questionaire

Andy Rourke - The Bass Guitar

PS: on your picture it's a Yamaha BB 2000.
Attached Thumbnails
The Queen is Dead Bass Sound-andyrourke.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
What's the name of the book? I might need to pick that up. You have good, eclectic taste. I like SD as well.
The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life
A most wondeful read! It does actually give a good amount of insight on how things were done...recording, process , tunings, etc... oh yea, and a fair amount of dirt on how relationships became with how the band worked, really interesting stuff. ( Morrissey would just come in and listen to what was recorded
and pull out his notebook and chose whatever songs he was writing, try one, and sing over the instrumental tracks that the band had recorded hours earlier. They band had already left, and had NO IDEA what the vocal track would sound like when they returned the next day!
Here's a little taste: Johnny Marr states" It was the last straw when we came in one morning to find that Morrisey had sang about "Some girls are bigger than others" over one of most beautiful tracks the guys and I had ever recorded. COME ON! " .... funny stuff, and I love that song.
It's a great book for muscians, for many reasons.

By the way BC, I've seen the music you comment on, and must say the same, great taste. Love electronic (not to be confused with TECHNO) music as well.
Steelyfan
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Glad this post sort of took off and that there are so many Smiths appreciators out there. Truly a remarkable dynamic existed between the four, something you can't train outright, it's just gotta be there.

So what do you guys think the best (or well, your favourite) Smiths songs are? Mine would have to be Rubber Ring.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rubber ring is a masterpiece... never heard anything close that resembles it , by anyone . The whole "BOMBS" albulm has a special place in my heart, man that time in my life was amazing.. High school, art chicks , I had a jeep and cassette player that loved that albulm... WHEEWWW.... gives me the chills, man.
oh yea,...

Last night I dreamt
paint a vulgar picture
this charming man
oscillate wildly
stretch out and wait
there is a light
reel around the fountain
stop me
shoplifters
bigmouth
heaven knows I,m misserable
o.k..... I love all their stuff.. except "hand in Glove", never cared for that one.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➡️
I'd give my pinky toe if the Smiths got back together, could never understand why they went different ways.
I'm recording a guy who's a massive Smiths and Morrissey fan.
He told me Johny Marr got tired after too much recording and touring during about five intensive years. He felt the need to try different things apparently.

It was very hard for the other members to come to terms with that. Actually they still played together when Morrissey started his solo career - that should give you an idea.

Now they're dying to get together again, except Morrissey of course. You can tell from his lyrics he's not into it at all. He really seems happy on his own.
But it can be dangerous for an artist when his life gets balanced. That alone would be worth the risk in my book.

I don't dig his stuff nearly as much as I dig The Smiths.
From my humble perspective, Morrisey is wasting half of his lifetime for not accepting joining the band again. They are one of those divine (I really mean divine) combinations.
I'll be hoping forever that he remembers what his mission is.
Well, who am I to say that... as I said, that's my view.
There won't be another Morrissey, another Marr, etc... and the clock is ticking.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Gotta say though, I loved Vauxhall and I, Viva Hate (although every song is basically C-F-G) and You are the Quarry. But ya, nothing remotely compared to what he did with The Smiths.
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Found this thread searching for info on bass tones that I love, Andy Rourke happens to have one that I love. I'm currently debating between getting a Precision Bass or a Yamaha Bass.. or just get a Jazz bass and forget about trying to sound like Andy.

To chime in on The Smiths. They are my favorite band ever and I honestly feel from an unbiased point of view that they were just as good if not the Beatles and the greatest band of all time.

I once ran into Johnny Marr at a small and obscure bar here in Los Angeles. It was a f-ing trip that I will never ever ever forget. I was talking to my friend about Marr's weird green telecaster with a gold pickguard, best seen on the Nowhere Fast video. We were discussing that guitar's origins, when we notice that across the bar is The Cribs.. with none other than Johnny Marr. Needless to say, we were in disbelief.

I can't even explain how magical and memorable it is to meet the one single person that inspired me to make music and express myself. And to tell him "You've taught me to play my guitar more than anyone I've ever met.. and this is the first time I've ever met you!"

Dude was super nice.. I was telling him how long it took me to figure out how to play "Some Girls.." and he laughed and said that song was an accident. I told him that it was my favorite and least favorite Smiths song because it was the one best melodies with some of the worst lyrics. He laughed and told me he didn't like the lyrics either.

That band was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced musically speaking. Just can't say enough about them..

PS. if anyone was wondering about that green telecaster.. The best info I got was that its a 50s telecaster that his girlfriend bought him in 1982 and she bought it off of one of Pete Townshend's roadies (he told me this himself) and if you go to thewho.net you can trace down that Pete had bought a bunch of Griffin custom telecasters, one of which ended up in the hands of Marr.
📝 Reply