Quantcast
Mix Motivation - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Motivation
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mix Motivation

Hey guys, wanted some opinions and thoughts.

What do you do when you hit the wall in a long batch of mixing? You know the feeling when even though you know your going to be happy to be done, its just real difficult to get in there and do everything, you've heard the song/artist to much and your brain is just not cooperating with your ears.

I love what I do, but sometimes its a struggle to get into the studio to finish mixing an album or EP.

I havent found my personal motivation to get in, but I always like to listen to a lot of talk radio (CBC up here) and drive, that always seems to ground me back down and in a way reset me.

What do you do?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Force yourself to work on the hardest part, and force yourself to do it. Once you do, you'll soon find that inital push has got you on a roll with some amazing ideas.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH ➡️
Force yourself to work on the hardest part, and force yourself to do it. Once you do, you'll soon find that inital push has got you on a roll with some amazing ideas.
Yes I agree.

You have to determine whether you are 'burnt' out or just 'lazy' I do not mean that as an insult. Perhaps you have got too much time on your hands...

A deadline approaching fast is often the best motivator! Do you have a deadline?...

Forcing yourself to be 'professional' ie. setting a proper discipline and hours to get the work done is also a good idea, it helps you get out of the "I have to be in the mood creatively before I can work" syndrome.

Rest your ears and have completely different music to help refresh and re-calibrate your ears and ideas.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➡️
Yes I agree.

You have to determine whether you are 'burnt' out or just 'lazy' I do not mean that as an insult. Perhaps you have got too much time on your hands...

A deadline approaching fast is often the best motivator! Do you have a deadline?...

Forcing yourself to be 'professional' ie. setting a proper discipline and hours to get the work done is also a good idea, it helps you get out of the "I have to be in the mood creatively before I can work" syndrome.

Rest your ears and have completely different music to help refresh and re-calibrate your ears and ideas.
You nailed it. I have a bit to much time right now and a loose deadline, so some of it is just saying, today is an X hour day and staying in there when things arent going my way.

Im the kind of person that needs to be very busy as to say, oh I have 6 hours, I better get in there, or Ive set the day aside for that mix so if I dont do it now, I wont get a chance too.

That ties right in with the professionalism, that is my personal goal. I get pulled from many sides though and a standard set of hours without picking up my phone to consult with other clients is difficult.

Thanks for the advice though, I have started using post-it note reminders every where!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…