Quantcast
Roll Music 755 Compressor - SSL's snap?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roll Music 755 Compressor - SSL's snap??
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Roll Music 755 Compressor - SSL's snap??

Hi, I'm shopping for an SSL style compressor and have a chance to buy a used 755.

Has anyone compared it to SSL, Smart..? i know the 755 is supposed to sound pretty open but what I'd like to know is if it has that SSL's characteristic snap...?

I did a search here and got pretty mixed opinions.

Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss ➑️
Hi, I'm shopping for an SSL style compressor and have a chance to buy a used 755.

Has anyone compared it to SSL, Smart..? i know the 755 is supposed to sound pretty open but what I'd like to know is if it has that SSL's characteristic snap...?

I did a search here and got pretty mixed opinions.

Thanks!
+1K for the 755!!! But, its not entirely like what you describe to my ear. If its snapping, its not set right. I find it generally more forgiving and wider sounding with the same gain action going on. Instead of being snappy, its really punchy!! The Smart C2 does the SSL thing way better, but its simply a better tool in my eyes.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Instead of being snappy, its really punchy!!
Thanks Roc... Obviously I meant 'punch', not 'snap' (i wrote this before having my morning coffee)

Quote:
The Smart C2 does the SSL thing way better, but its simply a better tool in my eyes.
Sorry, I didn't get this from the whole context - which one is a better tool in your eyes, C2 or 755??
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Roc... Obviously I meant 'punch', not 'snap' (i wrote this before having my morning coffee)

Sorry, I didn't get this from the whole context - which one is a better tool in your eyes, C2 or 755??
The C2 is a better tool than the SSL G+. Sorry about any confusion. Both 755 and C2 are excellent tools. I would also check out the TK BC-1!!! That thing has been "pooing" all over some of the comps in our floating racks. I've yet to pull it from my stereo mix in 6 weeks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never compared them side by side but have worked with both, i own the RMS755 and have worked on SSL desks many times.

The SSL is a more aggressive pumpy compressor which you hear very well when applied while the RMS755 is a gentler compressor which is more transparent both in audio and compression characteristics but still has that SSL "gluing effect", it also have a side chain and a 1:1.5 ratio which makes it way more versatile for almost any kind of music.

When used in 4:1 ratio with side chain disabled the RMS755 sounds more like an SSL to me.. i also love the big wide threshold and output gain knobs which makes it very easy to work with, like finding the threshold "sweet spot" and the make up gain switch is wide enough to fine tune 0.1db steps while adjusting the exact level going back to the converters while mixdown, which in some cases makes it a valuable mastering tool.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW, I heard a bunch of them at AES last year. I liked the Roll but it didn't have the attitude of the SSL 384. I really thought that BC-1 (at the Merc booth) sounded pretty awful but perhaps it was a pre production version?? However, I was impressed by the Dramastic Obsideon
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The C2 is a better tool than the SSL G+.
Wrongtutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
Wrongtutt
I owned a SSL FX384 for 10 years and sold it eventually because I felt it narrowed the stereo field. The fact that with the C2 you can put it on your 2mix as dual mono -- I think that's a notable improvement.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 ➑️
I owned a SSL FX384 for 10 years and sold it eventually because I felt it narrowed the stereo field. The fact that with the C2 you can put it on your 2mix as dual mono -- I think that's a notable improvement.
With all due respect, it is different, not better. I went the C2 route for about 6 months, but went back for the tone of the G384. The SSL was a little darker and thicker to me which I preferred.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
With all due respect, it is different, not better. I went the C2 route for about 6 months, but went back for the tone of the G384. The SSL was a little darker and thicker to me which I preferred.
The tone of the comps is pretty subjective, but the ability to unlink the channels is a valuable feature. Heck, I'm all about tone -- I ended up with the Shadow Hills Mastering Comp and talk about tone....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The tone of the comps is pretty subjective, but the ability to unlink the channels is a valuable feature. Heck, I'm all about tone -- I ended up with the Shadow Hills Mastering Comp and talk about tone....
I've been wanting to check that out
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I really thought that BC-1 (at the Merc booth) sounded pretty awful but perhaps it was a pre production version?? However, I was impressed by the Dramastic Obsideon
Interesting. Both BC1 and Obsidian are definitely on my radar as well. I'd love to try them out and at the moment, I'm actually talking to Canadian distributors who are considering to bring them to the country...

Why was BC1 disappointing?
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the Obsidian.

Quote:
Interesting. Both BC1 and Obsidian are definitely on my radar as well. I'd love to try them out and at the moment, I'm actually talking to Canadian distributors who are considering to bring them to the country...

Why was BC1 disappointing?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Roll comp smokes. My first choice mix comp. Quite simply, the SSL 4k sound but more hifi, and better at conserving the lows. Great gear. I'm biased though, so check one out yourself.
TK Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
I really thought that BC-1 (at the Merc booth) sounded pretty awful but perhaps it was a pre production version??
It was indeed a pre-production unit, we did some improvement to the soundpath after that.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The C2 is a better tool than the SSL G+. Sorry about any confusion. Both 755 and C2 are excellent tools. I would also check out the TK BC-1!!! That thing has been "pooing" all over some of the comps in our floating racks. I've yet to pull it from my stereo mix in 6 weeks.
I thought quote myself. Any of you guys like to track with the G+? I don't.

I LOVE tracking with the C2, so TO ME, its a better tool all over the place. I use it MORE places than JUST over the buss. Of course, YMMV and this is JUST my opinion. The Thing about trade show floors, its that its not your studio, and its not involved with the rest of your equipment. Sure you can get ideas, but like I said, I've been unable to take the BC-1 off my stereo mix for at least 6 weeks. If I was disappointed with it, the thing would have been un patched. It does not impart any tonal change in your audio. It does not have tube or transformers, it does not shave your audio down, it does a job, and it does it really well to my ears. In this price range, there are seldom compressors that are as smooth in action as the BC-1.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang ➑️
The Roll comp smokes. My first choice mix comp. Quite simply, the SSL 4k sound but more hifi, and better at conserving the lows. Great gear. I'm biased though, so check one out yourself.
+1 I love the Roll Super Stereo, I use it on every mix. Very flexible! Pretty much can't go wrong with it.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Isn't this box a Gyraf GSSL? [nope, I was thinking of Dramastic]

Last edited by synthetic; 18th February 2009 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: wrong
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic ➑️
Isn't this box a Gyraf GSSL?

The roll?

No not at all.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
[edit: DRAMASTIC not Roll Music. Sorry!]

Pretty sure. In fact I took some pics when he first showed it at NAMM and sent them to Gyraf. He was pretty steamed. I was in the process of building one at the time and there was a strict "no commercial use" policy that DRAMASTIC ignored. I wouldn't touch their crap just for the bad karma.

Last edited by synthetic; 18th February 2009 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: slagged wrong company
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
few things here... the Gyraf circuit is the SSL circuit, or very closely based on the SSL circuit. I heard a Gyraf clone and it sounded almost identicaly to the SSL. The Roll comp does NOT sound identical to the SSL. Justin has gone on record saying that the Roll comp is SSL inspired as well, just as many other comps on the market are ssl inspired. The Roll Comp is Justin's take on the SSL style circuit, with many changes and enhancements. I have both the SSL and the Roll, they don't sound alike. They actually compliment each other well.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang ➑️
Could you explain 'hifi' please?

What styles of music are these compressors suited for? Anything mentioned that would be smokin for dance? Please say the roll, as it's the cheapest
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm sorry, I was thinking of Dramastic. My apologies to Roll Music. I will edit my post.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm in the middle of demoing a 755 right now. I have used the ssl enough and a bunch of other well known comps. I will try to write a decent review in a couple of days. Thus far, I have been both massively impressed and a bit let down with the box in some ways. In all fairness I think my let down results come from, " I going too spend this much $$$$ and it can't do this". I'll reply with greater detail soon.

To give a quick review I would say:

cons: 1)This box won't impose any instant gratification transfromer or toob magic on anything. There really isn 't that sweet feeling of I just patched in an api 2500, kind of tone to the box.

pros:1) holy ****! I mean this box won't make a snare sound warmer or anything but: I have never heard a drum buss comp assemble all the pieces of the drum kit and glue all elements together and make the drummer sound like he is "mixing himself better". The 755 was born to do this.

2)I feel I can control the decay time of the snare to match the tempo of the song effortlessly. I mean like no problem, better than any comp I've ever used.

But like I said I will at least try to chime in soon, with a review that won't drop all the stupid buzz words like "shimmering highs" and "punchy lows". That type of **** is useless and meaningless to all of us.

As for now the jury is still out.

cheers
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 ➑️
I'm in the middle of demoing a 755 right now. I have used the ssl enough and a bunch of other well known comps. I will try to write a decent review in a couple of days. Thus far, I have been both massively impressed and a bit let down with the box in some ways. In all fairness I think my let down results come from, " I going too spend this much $$$$ and it can't do this". I'll reply with greater detail soon.

cons: 1)This box won't impose any instant gratification transfromer or toob magic on anything. There really isn 't that sweet feeling of I just patched in an api 2500, kind of tone to the box.

pros:1) holy ****! I mean this box won't make a snare sound warmer or anything but: I have never heard a drum buss comp assemble all the pieces of the drum kit and glue all elements together and make the drummer sound like he is "mixing himself better". The 755 was born to do this.

2)I feel I can control the decay time of the snare to match the tempo of the song effortlessly. I mean like no problem, better than any comp I've ever used.

But like I said I will at least try to chime in soon, with a review that won't drop all the stupid buzz words like "shimmering highs" and "punchy lows". That type of **** is useless and meaningless to all of us.

As for now the jury is still out.

cheers
Cool, can't wait! Maybe in your review you can write about which other comps you've used and their comparison to the 775!
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 ➑️

Did you finish reviewing the Super Stereo? I'd love to hear what else you have to say, but if the above is all you ever type on the topic, I'll take it. Even your "con" is a testament to exactly what we were trying to achieve with this box. It glues, it gives you precise control over the attacks and decays, and it doesn't put its boot down on the tones you already have. Period.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've just finished mixing a single with the ROLL 755 on the mix bus chained to an API 5500, they compliment each other very well.. my "go to" mixbus chain most of the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I reviewed this unit for Tape Op and... I want another one of them!

- c
πŸ“ Reply