Quantcast
Drum Sound - Bob Moses - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Sound - Bob Moses
Old 3rd February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Drum Sound - Bob Moses

Howdy. I'm trying to get a better drum sound under some difficult conditions.

Bob Moses likes to do recordings in his house, and often packs three or four horn players + drums into a small room:

Also, his drum set is vast and tuned rather high (no low end "thudy" kick drums).

I have a budget of about 5 grand, so I'm thinking about my options here. Should I, for example, go with ten Audix M1245hc and a 1200f interface, or perhaps, for the same cake, use a pair of schoeps/earthworks and a nice duel pre?

My question for you is, how would you work this situation?? Any clues, tips, tricks, advice. would be very appreciated.

Thank you much.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
That's a sweet looking setup!

I envy you on the job..

Hopefully someone will speak with a lot more experience of this sort of thing, but I personally would try getting some real nice OH's and possibly kick/snare mics. The amount of drums on that setup could keep you buying stuff for years...

By Horns.. do you mean that you'll be recording everything together in that room, at the same time? cos that's gonna be a tough one, as you'll have to have a setup that can cope with those inputs too..

I would move his drum riser away from the window slightly so that you get a more open sound in your stereo imaging too. (the back wall won't make such a big difference, though you could bring it forward a little too)

In truth, I would seriously consider hiring some REALLY pucker gear that will meet the demands of the session. It's unlikely you'll ever need gear this specific again and so it would be a waste of capital to buy a rig. Remember, this is business... (isn't it?) perhaps just purchase the bits that are really flexible...

Paul.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well im partial to the 1200f cause i've got one. i just love it. the pre's are especially good for drums. as for mics, it depends on your drum kit. for the way i have mine tuned and the way i play, i use 57's on snare top, snare bottom, high toms. 2 at 4033's for overheads and sm7 for bass drum wich also doubles on guitar cab and vocals.for a kit like in the pics, good overheads wil be a key.
there are many mic combinations that work well but +1 on the 1200f for your situation.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
less is more

i think in that situation....
small room. lots of drums.....
less is more . get a good pre and a good stereo pair for THE SOUND and use anything else as spot mics if needed
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't forget to close the windows when recording!
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies!

>>>do you mean that you'll be recording everything together in that room, at the same time?<<<

Yes. He's done it before, including a session with two full drum sets and three horns (Edgar Bateman on drums, two saxophones and trumpet).

This is an ongoing gig, he want's me to engineer all of his home recordings. I have done recordings for him in the past, but mostly with low end gear, (mackie mixer, 1641 interface, i5 mics.)

One issue is that his playing is very organic, turbulent and dynamic. The bleed of the drums is tremendous. Gates don't work well for him, etc...

Thanks again.
d.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bob rules!!! He plays with his home made sticks. Tree branches in several different sizes and shapes. I used to go see him play in every opportunity, but it was a long time ago. Such an inspiration. It's like God created him to play drums. That picture has the typical New England vibe, very nice... Congrats on the gig.

Looking at that picture again, his 'floor tom converted into a bass drum' looks like an Eams. I haven't seen his kit with all these percussion before. I wish I could be there to assist you on that session.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd keep it simple , capture the drums how he hears them .

over heads , one mic in front to get the low end and maybe two close mics .

Get a nice duel pre and stereo mics for overhead and build the sound from those .
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm more than a little ashamed to admit I really wasn't familiar with Moses but intrigued by the photo and comments here, I looked him up, and it was clear he is really somebody... so I popped some of his music into my subscription player.

Very cool... from almost straight ahead to way beyond wild...

I'm seldom envious here but... well... it sounds like a very hip opportunity.
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
It really is a dream gig. Thank you for all of your help!
Much love.

d.
πŸ“ Reply