Desktop Keyboard Stand - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desktop Keyboard Stand
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Desktop Keyboard Stand

Just wondering, but has anyone ever come across a keyboard stand that can rest on top of a desk? Basically I'm thinking about getting a rack that is just the right height to put a keyboard on top of it. But it would be really nice to be able to stack two keyboards on top of the rack with some sort of stand where the bottom keyboard is pretty much on the rack while a second keyboard can sit above it with adjustable arms.

Ok... I might not have described that properly, but think of a two tier keyboard stand except without the legs
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Funny, I came across this thread completely by accident while searching for an unrelated subject. The thread title immediately brought up some memories.

I guess you've already solved the problem by now. If not, well, as you've probably discovered by now there are none, absolute zero, manufacturers of desktop stands for keyboards.

I myself was in need of a desktop keyboard stand to allow two keyboards to stack on top of each other on top of a workstation desk, and as there is nothing whatsoever of the sort on the market, I designed a 3D sketch of a stand and sent the video out to various keyboard stand manufacturers. They all replied that there was too little of a market for it, but that the design looked great.

Here is the presentation video of the design:

The desktop stand, had it been picked up by any manufacturers, would have come as pictured, along with an optional accessory consisting of regular, foldable "X-style" legs that you could latch onto the bottom of the stand in order to make it into an extremely sturdy dual-keyboard floor stand as well. I still think it would have been a popular product as it would allow people to stack more than one keyboard on top of each other on any large stretches of free space on their workstation tables, and when they went to play live, they could just attach the optional legs to it and have a sturdy dual shelf floor stand for playing live.

Since nobody picked up the design (citing lack of a market for it), and the fact that I have since abandoned the idea of selling the product myself, I invite you to go to /any/ local metal workshop in your area and ask them to manufacture it for you. All they would have to do is bend and weld some tubes of the proper diameter and attach rubber feet for grip, and you'd have your dual shelf desktop keyboard stand.

If you (or anyone else reading) is serious about wanting this, the two outer/side tubes need to be the regular diameter used for keyboard stands (measure your nearest QuikLok stand), and the six cross-bars that hold the sides together are made of thinner, flattened tubes, welded onto the side tubes. It's easily doable by any competent metalworking factory. After that, they'd simply have to powder coat it and attach some suitable rubber grips as pictured. Have fun!

Chris White
Old 11th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
That's an awesome sketch! It's *exactly* what I'm looking for, and it's unfortunate that the manufacturers you spoke with weren't interested in creating these. It would be interesting to see if any metal shops around (maybe from trade shows?) could make these
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
damn, i need this!!! this can probably be diy'd or locally made like mentioned above. but where to get the rubber stuff?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It makes me happy to see the enthusiasm about the product. I wish the stand manufacturers had felt the same way. I am still sure it would sell well as most studios have several keyboards, and at the moment a single one takes up a massive chunk of their workstation desk space with no ability to stack them in easy reach, while the remaining keyboards have to be away from the workstation on floor stands. What a waste of space and ergonomics. Add in the optional accessory that lets you convert it into a super sturdy floor stand any time you want to take it live and I see a product that would sell well for multiple purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
That's an awesome sketch! It's *exactly* what I'm looking for, and it's unfortunate that the manufacturers you spoke with weren't interested in creating these. It would be interesting to see if any metal shops around (maybe from trade shows?) could make these
It just needs to be a shop that has an automatic, precise tube bending machine, as it would have to be done by machine in order to have both side tubes bent in exactly the same way, so that it doesn't become lopsided. The tubes you need to use for the sides are 30 millimeter diameter tubes. As for the thinner, flattened cross-bars, any shop will be able to buy those, they're literally just called "flat tubes" and the diameter does not matter. The metal to use is aluminum as it is light-weight and durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore ➑️
damn, i need this!!! this can probably be diy'd or locally made like mentioned above. but where to get the rubber stuff?
The rubber ends are probably custom-ordered by each keyboard stand manufacturer, but I can think of two ways to get them on your own; either find a manufacturer to make them for you from custom molds, or way easier:

http://www.quiklok.com/pdfs/Quik%20L...re%20Parts.pdf

The QuikLok spare parts catalog's last page lists GMPL/102 "Open-end rubber cap" which would go on the inner section of the tubes, and GMPL/101 "Closed-end rubber cap" which is what goes on the outer ends/caps of each tube.

You would need 4x GMPL/102 and 4x GMPL/101 from any retailer that sells QuikLok spare parts.

Oh and remember to make sure the metal workshop attaches the inner rubber caps BEFORE welding on the cross-bars, or you will not be able to attach them later.

Make sure to compare various metalwork shops so that you don't get ripped off. They need to have good prices and good equipment (to do a quality job). Unless your local one has competition, its prices will probably be significantly higher than elsewhere in your country/state where there is more competition and lower prices.

I wish you the best of luck, it's any easy job for any competent shop!

Chris White
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ikea makes a shoe rack that you can use that does the same thing. you may want to change out the feet that it has with something more heavy duty if you choose
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I am in dire need of this as well! Someone could make some really good money by manufacturing one of these. Does anyone have any more suggestions for a DIY solution? I would definitely buy something like this. I have run out of space entirely on my 3-tier rack, my studio desktop, and my worktable desktop, and beside these 3 things, I have no more room in my studio to even put another rack. If I could fit another synth off to the side of my studio desk being elevated so it can fit above the gear that is taking up the surface space, that would be perfect. If anyone has a solution, I would be very interested in hearing it!
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yet reviving a dead thread, I would also love a tiered keyboard stand that can go on top of a desk for smaller 49/61 keyboards. 2 would be ideal
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm sitting here with the exact same dilemma. Somebody needs to get on it, asap.
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Head

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Double tier keyboard desk stand

I am on this There is a demand I need several I want to double stack keyboards on my studio perimeter desk which is flat. One on the desk which will weight the base for the top lighter keyboard.
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I ended up buying a desk that had a built-in keyboard rack. It's got room for two keyboards if I wanted one... but I put my drum pads on the desk portion.
Old 28th May 2015

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just buy some wood and make your own. There is no real standard one-size-fits all, so it's best to make something custom. As far as woodwork projects, it doesn't get much easier than this - and you can make it as cheap or as nice as you want. Wood looks great in any studio. At minimum all you need is a couple of blocks either side of the lower keyboard, and a shelf screwed on top. Some rubber strip will help it not slip or rattle.

I make stuff like this for various pieces of equipment - you can save space and get the ergonomics exactly the way you want them. Previously i've used computer desks that have two surfaces, but they aren't the perfect height.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…