To Console or Not To Console - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To Console or Not To Console
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers ➡️
Last year, I did not get 3 projects where the clients came to visit the studio, looked around, said "where's the console"... and never heard back from them again. These clients were the older, experienced type.

Yeah but maybe those types of clients would've said something else even if you had a console. Some clients just aren't worth it. heh
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
By the way, really nice web site you have there and fantastic music, love the compression on the lead vox 9on the first song that loads).

thanks for chiming in.

Gerry
Thank you! a little LA-2A love while tracking and good ole Rvox...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis ➡️
Be aware that digital desks will be worth $0.00 the moment the software is superseded. Analog desks will remain functional, and therefore valuable, as long as human hearing relies on the compression and rarefaction of air.

That Greg has a strong point.....OTOH It seems to be much easier to use an integrated piece like the AWS 900+ I had to go through hell to tie in my console and the DAW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When I bought over 15K of new pre amps.. (neve 1084, pacifica, UA 610) a La2a, 2 new mics etc... it changed my sound greatly...yet I couldn't up the rates on my clients...they didn't care if the Neve sounded better then the avalon and if it was 3 times the price....the day I bought a british analog console 36 flying faders with a huge patch bay and lots of faders, fancy lights and Knobs I had NO problem raisiing my prices by 30% . I also gained more business more clients and New engineers booking the studio now. One of the smartest investments I have done!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
When I bought over 15K of new pre amps.. (neve 1084, pacifica, UA 610) a La2a, 2 new mics etc... it changed my sound greatly...yet I couldn't up the rates on my clients...they didn't care if the Neve sounded better then the avalon and if it was 3 times the price....the day I bought a british analog console 36 flying faders with a huge patch bay and lots of faders, fancy lights and Knobs I had NO problem raisiing my prices by 30% . I also gained more business more clients and New engineers booking the studio now. One of the smartest investments I have done!
Cha-ching babeee! Can I quote you on that? I need some testimonials for my wife to approve the purchase, hahaha...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD ➡️
Thank you! a little LA-2A love while tracking and good ole Rvox...
I knew it! LA2A is da bomb on vocals. That sound just makes the vocal more familar, warm and cuddly. Makes good sounding singers sound great, such as your track.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
Yeah but maybe those types of clients would've said something else even if you had a console. Some clients just aren't worth it. heh
Actually those clients are worth it, they just don't realize how much better sound we can get for them. More than a few times I'd bump back into them after their project is out and they'd be complaining.. about the sound, the engineer, etc. So it's a big PITA but I just tell them give me a shot next time.

The clients may not be worth it, but the songs are definitely worth it. I don't care much for clients as much as I care for the songs... I like challenges, turning average/****/garbage into something better. Ain't that our tall task as MIX AE's?

Hopefully they'll come around when they see a good sized console on my studio relocation.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If money: large analog console & maintenance.

If less money: no console, but good PT setup with quality converters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the Toft is a great board for the price and know that it improves my mixes, althought I tend to use it for only summing and do my automation and most of my track processing ITB.

I can not imagine customer facing work, especially recording bands, without a mixing console.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➡️
I think the Toft is a great board for the price and know that it improves my mixes, althought I tend to use it for only summing and do my automation and most of my track processing ITB.
thanks for sharing. That's exactly how I work, automation, processing and pre-mix ITB, then sum and more processing OTB. I'm sorry to admit that I can't let go of ITB automation anymore BUT really desire the headroom openness and width of going OTB whether just summing or mixing on a console.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
What board did you end up buying?

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
What board did you end up buying?

Brad
a DDA DCM 224V with uptown flying faders (32)

and my wife was cool with it since she was in the studio when Clients asked "when are you finally gonna get a console man!!??"
At the end of the day the "average" client expect a studio to have a large format console. A studio with a Controller like a mackie or control 24 is often seen as a Project studio. Even without going into SOUND arguments, you have to provide the image people expect. ask anybody in the street to name a few things Studios will always have ( like a family feud type) and they will ALWAYS say a BIG mixer, a Microphone, a Booth, speakers etc... it's part of a Studio "landscape"
Now the smart ones (studio owners) will know which board to get to NOT be in debts for years in a "not doing so well" industry, get the looks and even get some sonic improvments.
you have to find the right Middle between buying a SSL 9000 (not wise today) and buying a Mackie Control.
IMO
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
wow, good for you Michael. And nice looking board, too. How big is the power supply for that board?

But wait, is that a Lexicon 480L remote, too? Don't post any more photos man. hahaha.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
wow, good for you Michael. And nice looking board, too. How big is the power supply for that board?

But wait, is that a Lexicon 480L remote, too? Don't post any more photos man. hahaha.
Lol yeah that s a 480l. This board requires 3 Powere supplies and 1 extra for the automation. I would evaluate the total to be around 1200 Watts. The good thing is that I don't need to leave it on all the time.
You said no more PICTURES....Fineheh
📝 Reply