Quantcast
So I'm recording my friend's band for free with my mbox... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I'm recording my friend's band for free with my mbox...
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I'm recording my friend's band for free with my mbox...

and I need someone to tell me what mics to use, into what preamps, and how should I hook up all the cables? Should I use Mac or PC? Or tape? Maybe I should get some plugins, what should I buy? Will I be able to do all this for under $500, or do I need to borrow some money from my grandmother? If they have 10 songs that are 3 minutes long each, will 45 minutes be enough studio time, or should I go for broke and charge them for an hour? I have cool edit pro, does that sound good? Or should I upgrade to Sonar because that's what submarines use and that's high end? The guy at Guitar Center told me that I need a high end mic like the AT2020, but that seems a little expensive. Is there an awesome sounding mic for about 27 dollars that will sound like Nickelback? I love Nickelback, I want to be just like them when I grow up. If I have a Rode mic does that mean I have the best mic there is? It's self noise is only 7 dba. Is that good? Or bad? The Musician's friend catalog said that's good. But then again, they say that everything's good. I just don't know what to believe anymore. Are they really my friend, or are they just saying that? I don't know anything about recording, but I have a bootleg copy of Reason. Does this mean I'm a producer now? Maybe if I get autotune I can get a job in Nashville. My girlfriend's pretty hot, can she be the next Taylor Swift? She can't sing, but her dad's got a lot of money and she's underage. Or maybe I can cut out the middleman and just be the next T-Pain. How do I get that T-Pain sound? What presets should I use to record my hit album? I know all the pros use is M-Audio gear and Avalon 737's, that's the best channel strip around, no good albums were made before the Avalon 737. I know a guy who told me that ADAT is better beacause it's tape, and tape is analog, so that's better. Because it's warm and punchy. Like tubes, warm and punchy. I've got an ART Tube MP, so why don't my recordings sound like Nickelback and OH MY GOD WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE READ A BOOK OR HANG AROUND A STUDIO OR SOMETHING AND STOP ASKING SO MANY STUPID QUESTIONS!!!! IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED!!!!

Flame on
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
long day?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules should sticky this, delete every other post on GS and call it a day.... we're done.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul ➑️
long day?
It only gets worse. Are you sure you have enough tracks for the kick and snare with the mbox ?
Deleted User
Ask yourself WHY they have all these STUPID questions? Its because you PROS give a diff answer on EVERY question depending how your panties are twisted that day. Combine that with the sales pimps here and guitar center and you have a nice recipe for confusion. Its simple, stay out of threads when all your willing to contribute is Do a Search.

Thats why you elite boys have the High End to hang in so you dont concern yourself with the trivial common stuff

"OH MY GOD WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE READ A BOOK OR HANG AROUND A STUDIO OR SOMETHING AND STOP ASKING SO MANY STUPID QUESTIONS!!!! IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED!!!!

"OH MY GOD WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE READ A BOOK OR HANG AROUND A STUDIO"
Couldnt agree more. However, not a lot of STUDIOS around for people to HANG in unless they want to book time.
No good recording books at the guitar center either

STOP ASKING SO MANY STUPID QUESTIONS!!!!
No such thing as a STUPID question , only arrogant pricks that have forgotten what its like not to know all the information.
Come down from your holy tower my brutha

I wouldnt expect a diff view form a PRO from Nashville anyway

Carry On

Theres your FLAME for you LOL
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You should get a PC that uses tape... best of both worlds.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yep.

I agree, that first post should be the only one required on G_S.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Good luck, just experiment that's how to really learn.

It's the pilot not the plane.

In a year or two you can call yourself a producer !
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My .02...your friend's band should really get someone else to record them....or.. you should take your meds and reconsider posting here..lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why do you have an mbox?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
but mbox is hardware..so it should sound analog right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds like a henry rollins rant.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 ➑️
should I upgrade to Sonar because that's what submarines use...?
Now, I'm sorry, but that is a legitimate question. heh
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought this post was going to annoy me but by the end I was laughing. Funny post, part of me still wants to call you can asshole though.

fuuck A friendly middle finger for ya!
πŸ“ Reply