Quantcast
how to get a decent sound from an acoustic guitar DI? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to get a decent sound from an acoustic guitar DI?
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
how to get a decent sound from an acoustic guitar DI?

I was wondering if anyone knows any methods of getting a decent sound out of an acoustic guitar DI?

Of course I know that they sound "better"mic-ed, however, when writing songs (demo's) I would like to be able to "plug and play" and get a reasonable sound and not that plastic-y piezo sound.

I wasn't wanting at this stage to go to something as far as the Line 6 acoustics, but I do see that fishman make this:

Fishman Aura - Fishman Aura Acoustic Blender

has anyone tried this? or does anyone have any other suggestions.

I've tried eq, compression, transient designers etc with only moderate success. I have fender, gibson and martin acoustics.

I'm not expecting a miracle.

thanks
narco
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I'm fine with the L.R. Baggs Para DI+M1 active pick up, it sounds decent for demos and live sets, but forget a natural acoustic sound!
Anyway it's the better solution I found ...
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I just finished 2 quick sessions in the last week - the first was a DI acoustic recorded that way over my objections because the guitarist wanted the singer singing next to him for the vibe - I regretted it ever since and I've been fighting that sound trying to get it to fit.

So when I had to record a DI'd acoustic again because of a bad room (and being in a hurry) I wasn't thrilled - but this guitarist pulled out his Fishman Aura and the difference in the result was night and day.

Not as great as a well-mic'd acoustic of course, but significantly better sounding and easier to mix to my ears.

I'll be getting one of these soon.

BTW he had the 'box' and not the pedal version...
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I can't get a decent acoustic guitar sound from a DI. Tried it a lot when doing live sound but the result was always disappointing to me. I'm wondering if someone has a good trick.
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
D-Tar Soltice and Baggs M1

D-Tar Solstice here:

D-TAR Duncan-Turner Acoustic Research [www.d-tar.com] / Solstice

Hear it here:

FingerPick Magazine - Acoustic Guitar Pickups and Amplification, Schertler, LR Baggs M-1, Sunrise Pickups, Bluestick, Seymour Duncan, Rick Turner, DTAR, Solstice, Fishman Rare Earth, Fishman AURA, Digitech Artist, DiMarzio DP139, ElectroVoice Microph

The combination of the Baggs M1 with the Schertler is stunning. After a long search, I bought a D-Tar Solstice and M1's for both of my Bourgeois Dreads after many listening sessions with this site and correspondence with the author, Doug Young. Much more than just "usable" IMHO. Best live sound I've ever gotten anyway. NFI, that goes to Rick Turner and Seymour Duncan, you may have heard of them! At times, I combine the M1 with an AT Pro 37 on the Solstices other channel, when feedback is not an issue.

Doug (not Young!)
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I've fought a long hard fight to get a half decent 'live' sound out of my Martin D-28 Marquis. In the end I settled with a K&K Trinity western system. The blended output goes into the DI of my Empirical Labs Lil Freq and I carve/boost to taste. The HF limiter section on the Lil Freq really helps to tame the harsh high end dynamics that come along with piezo style pickups, while leaving the midrange frequencies dynamic

Something else you may want to consider is the D-TAR Momma bear and Equinox. The momma bear is cool because it can be adjusted for your pickup type and then models the guitar internally ( digitally).. depends what you're after I guess...
๐Ÿ“ Reply