Quantcast
Music stands!? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music stands!?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Music stands!?

I consider a good place for a musician to put their music/score/notes/whatever to be a very important piece of equipment people overlook.

Does anyone around here have any brand or model of music stand that you find nice? I'm looking to replace the set I had which was stolen (or accidentally taken) last week by a band
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
I consider a good place for a musician to put their music/score/notes/whatever to be a very important piece of equipment people overlook.

Does anyone around here have any brand or model of music stand that you find nice? I'm looking to replace the set I had which was stolen (or accidentally taken) last week by a band
Manhasset makes whatever you need -- in whatever size AND color you want!
Manhasset Specialty Company
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by author ➑️
Manhasset makes whatever you need -- in whatever size AND color you want!
Manhasset Specialty Company
Manhasset is what I had actually. Don't recall the model, but it had the folding legs.

Can't say I was particularly impressed with them unfortunately. Perhaps the fixed leg models are more stable/robust?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Manhasset is what I had actually. Don't recall the model, but it had the folding legs.

Can't say I was particularly impressed with them unfortunately. Perhaps the fixed leg models are more stable/robust?
I have fixed-leg Manhassets with the clutch system. They are awesome. The feet are small enough that you can place two (or more) stands next to each other to accommodate those really wide sheets.

Another trick I like to do with them is to fold back the sheet music rest so it's parallel to the floor. Voila: an extra utility table for your drink.

You have to re-tighten its (two) screws about twice a year or so, but that's just maintenance.

My .02,
++aldo
Deleted User
Peavey actually makes a really nice stand which I have here

Peavey.com :: Orchestra
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Search results

Standard Manhasset model 48 all metal music stand, the one that's in most schools, $35 each. If you do scoring they make a 4 sheet wide vinyl over chipboard folder that straps onto one of their stands for another $11.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Manhassett ones are great- a standard that you'll see on any stage.

The other ones I like are some of them made by Wenger. There is one stand they make with a fixed leg base and a top that is made of heavy plastic with a shelf. (Wenger Corporation | Product Options and Choices ) That shelf is great for holding the extra little things musicians need in a performance. Also, the music ledge is smooth which means that page turns are much quieter. If you're using Manhassett, I would recommend gluing felt to the music stand to make things a bit more quiet.

--Ben
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One of my favorite cheap/great studio purchases was the stedman pro-clip. It attaches to the mic stand and holds the sheet at eye level so singers don't have to look down at a stand. It only works for one sheet but every client who's used it loves it. It also stays out of the way for mic placement. thumbsupthumbsup
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For recording, I prefer the stand to be open web rather than solid. The Manhassett ones can be reflective, especially for brass.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought a Manhasset with the folding base and the clutch system for attaching the desk. The clutch is already broken after less than a year, and I'm usually pretty good with things like that. It seems well made otherwise, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb ➑️
For recording, I prefer the stand to be open web rather than solid. The Manhassett ones can be reflective, especially for brass.
As a musician, I really dislike the wire stands... As an engineerr, I understand the reflectivity issue, but as a musician, you must be able to write on your music. Trying to do that on wire SUX.

BTW, if your trumpet is reflecting a bit, move the stand to the side. Most players are used to looking off to the side a bit when they play as that is what most groups require.

--Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm very proud of the customized Manhasset Orchestra stands I acquired from the Todd AO liquidation. Each stand has: a hand-tightened collar that prevents it from falling no matter how heavy an object is on it, a 2-outlet power outlet that can be daisy-chained with locking power cords, a Westcam headphone box with 2 stereo 1/4" ouputs and individual level controls that can be daisy-chained from XLRs, and 2 nice stand lights attached to the top. I got all 77 of these!

It is considered bad form for brass players to play into the stands. I'm a trumpet player, and I know a few other players (usually the weakest in the section) that do this to get a "self monitor" effect on live gigs. Doing this in a session is a hugely unprofessional.

Ultimate music stand pictures to come soon.

Greg

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis ➑️
I'm very proud of the customized Manhasset Orchestra stands I acquired from the Todd AO liquidation. Each stand has: a hand-tightened collar that prevents it from falling no matter how heavy an object is on it, a 2-outlet power outlet that can be daisy-chained with locking power cords, a Westcam headphone box with 2 stereo 1/4" ouputs and individual level controls that can be daisy-chained from XLRs, and 2 nice stand lights attached to the top. I got all 77 of these!
I am so unbelievably jealous, it's embarrassing. But, if you ever need space and need to part with a few of them, give me a holler.

Cheers,
++aldo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca ➑️
I am so unbelievably jealous, it's embarrassing. But, if you ever need space and need to part with a few of them, give me a holler.

Cheers,
++aldo
I may. I don't think I'll be scoring many 100+ piece orchestras any time soon!

But I'll need to wait until I open the studio to see exactly how many I can part with. Also, the power cords and cue system are part of the system. But they are Hubbel connectors and XLRs, so no big deal to recreate them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis ➑️
I may. I don't think I'll be scoring many 100+ piece orchestras any time soon!

But I'll need to wait until I open the studio to see exactly how many I can part with. Also, the power cords and cue system are part of the system. But they are Hubbel connectors and XLRs, so no big deal to recreate them.
OK, I may take between five and ten when you're ready. Also, I think you meant that power+sound connectors would NOT be included, right?

Thanks,
++a
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…