Quantcast
Dynamic mics for Vocal recording - which is your favorite? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynamic mics for Vocal recording - which is your favorite?
View Poll Results: My favortie dynamic mic for male vocal recording is:
Heil Sound PR 22
4 Votes - 2.90%
Heil Sound PR 30
2 Votes - 1.45%
Heil Sound PR 35
4 Votes - 2.90%
Heil Sound PR 40
2 Votes - 1.45%
Heil Sound Deco Series "The Fin"
0 Votes - 0%
Electrovoice RE20
16 Votes - 11.59%
Shure SM7B
70 Votes - 50.72%
Beyerdynamic M88
8 Votes - 5.80%
Shure SM58/Beta 58
13 Votes - 9.42%
Other - please specify in thread
19 Votes - 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dynamic mics for Vocal recording - which is your favorite?

I have a Shure SM58 and a Beyer M88.

I am considering buying a Shure SM7B, EV RE-20 or one of these new fandangled Heil Sound PR30 or 40 mics or the Heil classic which is supposed to sound ribbon like. Everyone has been raving about Heil lately which may be just be because they are new. Not sure if they are good for recording vocals though.

Let me know what dynamic mic you think has the magic on male voice.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not on your list, but I had a vocalist (music major at Duquesne) turn down all of my condensors at the time in favor of a Sennheiser 441. I didn't have an SM7B to compare though. My condensors of the day weren't exactly high end either.

Doug
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for Senn 441
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Had to vote for the SM7, but I have a lot of love for the 441 as well, I think it should be on your list.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM7 and RE-20. Shoot with those two mics, a 57, a pair of good overheads and a nice console I think most good engineers could make a pretty stellar rock album. SM7's can record a lot of sources the RE-20 is a fine vocal mic as well a workhorse on kick and bass guitar.

🎧 15 years
SM7 or RE20.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
RE20 or SM7b...I tried the Heil PR 40 but they're too grainy and artificial sounding for voice - and that's from trying it with many different preamps and voices. I haven't liked what I've heard from the Heil PR 30 either. They sound great on cabs and drums, though. I picked up an e935 to replace a PR 40 and it's superior for male vocals. The 441 is great too. The 421 is not.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the SM7. Love that mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have a SM7 (but i think i might need one), but my 441 has not let me down yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got an SM7... so I voted that way.

I like the RE20 on vocals almost just as much...

Both mics are fantastic..
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
441 or 421 through 60ies tube console
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried the SM7b and Heil PR35. There was no comparison! SM7b all the way!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old grey Senn 421
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for the sm7. Good on vocals, great on guitars. I use it on HHs all the time too. Best of all it's pretty cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser MD421, male and female voices.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Three other faves for me are the Beyer Soundstar MKII, Shure 546, and EV RE15.

Hmm... probably RE15 of all these in this thread so far.

Chris
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks,

I have these microphones right now:

1. Peluso 2247LE X2
2. Coles 4038 X2
3. AEA R84 X2
4. Royer R-121 X2
5. Beyer M88
6. Shure SM58

I think I'll pick up a Shure SM7b to add to my collection.

What is the big diff between the currently made SM7b and the older SM7?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ribbon fan I see... (Psst, there is also this mic called a U87 some people like on vocals. It's a condensor though! You may want to think about one of those some day.) Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's late. I'm not usually a "totally useless" post kind of guy...I don't think.

Doug
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I've had good results from the Heil PR-22 on male rock and indie vocals so far. But I've been looking for both an SM7 and an RE20 to add to my collection.

I think for $150 the Heil is a great mic. I haven't had a chance to use it on snare yet, but I hear it's great on that too. I also have the Heil PR-30 which is great for guitar amps, but I don't like it on vocals.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I posted the heil pr-22 because the heil classic rock'n'roll hall of fame limited edition signed commemorative microphone (phew!) that I own sounds absolutely amazing on vocals (male and female) and has the pr-20 capsule (same as pr-22 capsule). it's also one of the coolest looking mics in my collection, so it gets merit for that imho (might as well).

I think Bob Heil deserves props for all of his mics, so I'm on his bandwagon right now. but most of the mics in the poll though are very good and you won't go wrong. sm7 is a great mic too, but it's funny how people get into the mood for one mic only and it swarms the boards... :-)

the pr-20/pr-22/classic/fin all have the same sound (but classic/fin have switchable hpf and uber-cool looks) and sound quite similar to the sm-7b, slightly very slightly brighter but only in a good sheeny way. love mine. wouldn't sell it for any price.

also having a mic that looks that cool AND sounding great for vintage or modern vocal styles is a big hit with prospective clients. nice that it's so cheap too

prospective client: "Would I be allowed to use that amazing vintage mic you have behind glass in the other room? Is it an RCA?"

"It's actually a Bob Heil, the guy who invented the talk box and did live sound for the Dead etc. He designs mics for Joe Walsh too and Joe's custom made mics use the exact same capsule as this particular microphone. I only use it for singers who are discriminating enough to recognize a truly great microphone, and you'll have to respect it and be very careful to follow my rules carefully: don't touch it, tap it, blow into it, touch the mic stand..." LoL

cheers
Don
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using a Cascade Fraboni ribbon for vocals for about a year, and I really like it, especially on female voices. As far as dynamics go, tho, my secret weapon for screamed vocals is an AT ATM25. Nice and midrange-y. But the SM7b is on my next mic purchase list.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EV-RE15 all the way. i sold all of my other vox dynamics and own 3 just for this.

you can't find a more natural dynamic mic with velvety mojo.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
My ex-girlfriend (still best friends though!) accidently lost the keys to the footlocker(s)
where my RE15-among other audio stuff-is locked up. Been missing it so I may just have to get the 'ol electric saw to get it out. (no I won't be putting her inside ala the magic "sawing in half" actheh)

Chris
Old 22nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
I tried the SM7b and Heil PR35. There was no comparison! SM7b all the way!
should have tried the pr20 or pr40, those are the mics whose elements were actually targeted at vocals. the pr30/35 element was targeted at instrument/general use from what I recall.

here in canada the heil classic rock'n'roll is at a blowout price of $99 at tom lee music. that is freakin unbelievable!!! it was something like $250 recently and worth every penny. $99 is like christmas all over again! I say buy them and buy them now while they last.

certainly from my tests the pr3* is a quite inferior vocal mic to the pr2*/classic/finn/whatever other cool looking heil mic that uses the pr20 element (IE, all of the cool retro mics). :-)

I own and use the heil classic mics. I was just borrowing a pr35 and disliked it (and heard from someone else with similar issues on this site). Ive just been doing a session where I put my heil classic on a great female ballad singer.... holy moly. great success.

I JUST WISH they had better internal shockmounts!!! dang they pick up EVERYTHING. just look at the classic the wrong way and I swear I see low frequency rumble appearing LoL. but it's ok, on my concrete-based floor with decent stand it's fine. Just don't let the singer touch the mic stand (good general rule but in this case EXTEREMELY important - I wondered what was going on until I looked over and saw a bit of the bottom of her dress swinging out and touching a leg on the meg stand a tiny bit when she was moving around while singing. sadly had to nip that in the bud (ended up moving stand way far away with huge boom for mic LoL).

other than that, great great success. haven't even had to put it through a deesser, something I've chosen to do with this mic sometimes (although I've never really "Had" to do it like with some other really great vocal mics).

cheers,
Don
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
441 by a clear margin for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Same here...441
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you already have my 3 favorite dynamic mics for vocals: M88, sm58, R84...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the SM7 is gonna be top pick here because of its track record. the mic has been used on some great records.

so if it doesn't work for you, please don't blame the mic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sm7b and sm57 I don't care too much for 58
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why do Heil mics represent half the choices in the poll? heh

I've used the PR40, but still prefer the RE20 better for voice and other things.

I'll add the 441, SM7, SM58 and Beyer Soundstar II.
πŸ“ Reply