Quantcast
Anybody tried the IGS Vari Mu TUBECORE compressor? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody tried the IGS Vari Mu TUBECORE compressor?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody tried the IGS Vari Mu TUBECORE compressor?

IGS Audio - Profesional Studio Equipment. - Start

Has anybody heard this unit, and does it share the tonal personality of other more famous contemporary Variable Mu compressors?

Thanks,
3rd&4thT
Old 28th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i haven't tried it myself, but IGS stuff is pretty well known in Poland and i haven't heard about anyone using Tubecore that didn't fell in love with it. it costs one quarter the price of Manley and, considering the quality of his other products (i currently own his SSL comp and tube mic preamp), it is definitely in the same league along with Manley.
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old thread here. Anyone have any prices and experience with these things yet?

Thx
JJ
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It's a very nice unit and even a bit addictive after a while. You can't really make a mix sound way louder with it as it's a pretty slow compressor. But it can bring a vibe to the mix in a very elegant way. It can sound a bit like a SSL bus compressor on certain settings (fast attack and release) but without getting higher RMS levels. On some other settings (hitting the input hard, not to fast release) the control voltage of the tube comes through the signal path, this can make snare sounds more "electric" and snappy. It has a nice build quality too.
Old 21st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who sells them and for how much?

Thx
Justin
Old 21st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 ➑️
Who sells them and for how much?

Thx
Justin
Follow the link in the first post. English text, price list and ordering information all available. I have no personal experience here, but others have vouched for them.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Old 17th June 2010 | Show parent
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Testing a mastering version right now.
Ouch! I like it very much.
I'm comparing it with a Manley Vari Mu with HPF and I can say that the Tubecore is a very nice versatile sounding unit. You can reach a deep compression using the stepped THRESHOLD control.
"-6 dB" switch helps to play with GAIN and OUTPUT controls.

Anyone in Italy who wants to test it is welcome here... for all other interested I can pass through it some audio files!
Old 21st June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
btw

I have igs audio1176LN and It's great unit for recording vocals and bass. And drums like it too. but for the price you can get it ...mega great. I can say that I like it much much better than any 1176 plug in. Sounds more like 1176 than any plugins.
But , hey that's my ears.
Old 22nd June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got the "double-mono" version last month. Can't compare it to other vari-mu compressors cause I don't have any others but what I do know that it sounds smoooooth. Big, open sound. I do need to experiment some more to make final judgements. Have only used it in recording circumstances but am planning to use it for mastering also.

I haven't checked the inside but the outside looks and feels very professional. As a matter of fact; better than some "real" pro gear feels/looks.

I've been using his 1176 clone and have bought this one without testing because I'm so in love with the 2176. That thing kicks ass.

The last thing I wanna mention is that Igor is an extremely friendly and helpful guy. I've bought direct from him and everything about the deal has been very satisfying.
Old 8th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=nodog;5521134]I got the "double-mono" version last month. Can't compare it to other vari-mu compressors cause I don't have any others but what I do know that it sounds smoooooth. Big, open sound. I do need to experiment some more to make final judgements.

Tubecore double mono version -> two different pics on igs audio site

pic 1 : unit have 2 switches -6dB per channel
http://www.igsaudio.pl/grafika/tubecore1.jpg

pic 2 : unit doesn't have any -6dB switches
http://www.igsaudio.pl/grafika/Tubec...king_Front.jpg

Do you have unit with or without those -6dB switches?
I guess that beats the input signal for-6dB. But the another switch next to the threshold should be doing what? -6dB for output signal or there is a trick for something alse?

Will be great to put 150 hi pass filter on 1 right switch and on 2nd right switch small wet & dry knob . And also hard bypass (maybe is already there or maybee is just a bypass)

Maybe can Igor explain for what are those switches (-6dB) on the right side of unit & about bypass.

Old 15th September 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
vari mu igs and others igs comp

IGS Audio - Professional Studio Equipment - Prbki dwiku
hear the dif
Old 22nd September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can't hear too MUCH difference between them (maybe it's just that sample, could be a better, more dynamic one). Besides distortion on lower FQ, or it's just me?

Anyone tested Vari-Mu mastering one? How it compares to a Manley unit?
Old 30th September 2010 | Show parent
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➑️
Anyone tested Vari-Mu mastering one? How it compares to a Manley unit?
I own both of them. The Manley is slightly darker and it adds THAT warmth. The Manley is also a limiter which can be useful from time to time!

The IGS has single control for the stereo field, IMO cna be placed somewhere in between the Manley and the Thermionic Phoenix. I compared with both of them. Can compress a lot without pumping and it is very good sounding.

It's a great piece of gear for the money...
Old 30th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
we are testing right now in the studio de mastering version and it's not calibrated good so first impress it's not good at all when you see a stereo mastering comp new with different level between channels..
Going to try more to see if it's sounds good or not, at the moment we are not liking at all but we want to try more..
Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
igs
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnauTS ➑️
we are testing right now in the studio de mastering version and it's not calibrated good so first impress it's not good at all when you see a stereo mastering comp new with different level between channels..
Going to try more to see if it's sounds good or not, at the moment we are not liking at all but we want to try more..
It's very easy to disrespect somebody's work and pass negative judgment without listening to the device. heh
I remember well, that the only Tubecore sold in Madrid was sent almost 2 years ago. It is normal that after such a period of time a tube based device needs parameter calibration and/or tube replacement. Please note that the device is still warranted and we do these things for free.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by igs ➑️
It's very easy to disrespect somebody's work and pass negative judgment without listening to the device. heh
I remember well, that the only Tubecore sold in Madrid was sent almost 2 years ago. It is normal that after such a period of time a tube based device needs parameter calibration and/or tube replacement. Please note that the device is still warranted and we do these things for free.
If some parts changed maybe it's better to send the unit to you guys and update, i can calibrate it myself if the parts are the same and you pm me the calibration procediments.
Old 23rd February 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If You love the Music you will love TUBECORE

In my profesional life i've been using many diferent compressors but this device has changed my way of mixing and mastering in a very positive way. I bought one of Tubecores as i have heard many positive things about it. I was sure that it gona sounds like Manley Vari Mu compressor which i had in my studio back in Paris and i used it for jazz and stuff. But when I installd IGS version, i had a Hip-hop album to be mastered. To cut long story short it just blow my mind. Even with intens setings i couldn't hear any pumping effect. Warmth and transparency of this device are just impossible to be found in this price range devices. Today I'm buying a second unit to use it on group of drums in my mixes. So in my hamble opinion Tubecore vari Mu is a perfect choice not only for semi pro but it's also suitable for top range recording and mastering studios! Wojciech Niebelski of UNITED RECORDS STUDIO
Old 6th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac ➑️
I own both of them. The Manley is slightly darker and it adds THAT warmth. The Manley is also a limiter which can be useful from time to time!

The IGS has single control for the stereo field, IMO cna be placed somewhere in between the Manley and the Thermionic Phoenix. I compared with both of them. Can compress a lot without pumping and it is very good sounding.

It's a great piece of gear for the money...
Jac, can you describe how close is it to the Phoenix?
Have you tried it to techno/electronic stuff?
Or anyone else who have tried both?
Old 6th May 2011
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The TCore sounds fat, the bottom is really large but top end and clean.
It sounds close to the Phoenix to my ears.

Coming from my loved Manley VM Before getting the unit I asked IGS why they didn't made an HPF switch, Igor said that was not necessary and I fully agree. There a -6 db switch on the input if you are goin' too hot on the unit, but at today's I've never used it.

I do a lot of heavy electro stuffs and the TCore shines!!!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 7th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does anyone have any advice on getting one of these in the US?
Old 30th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Is it based on 6386 tubes? No info on producer's site...
Old 2nd August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As on the manual it use the 6N1P-EW.

Best
Old 8th October 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I recently bought the Mastering Edition Tubecore Vari-Mu from Igor for my mastering studio... I also decided to take an S-type compressor along in the same order to do a review of it.

So an answer to OP, the Tubecore is a really really nice piece of gear. And at a great price as well. Warmly recommended!

The S-type was awesome as well. I compared it to the bus compressor in a SSL G8000 console (you'll find some sound clips in the review) and while it was cleaner and not as mojo:ish I felt it was more versatile having a side chain and also being cleaner sounding it naturally suited a broader range of tasks the the original SSL compressor. So for those who have been thinking about getting an IGS S-type, feel free to check out my review at www.GTlounge.net
Old 14th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
IGS Varimu :-)

I allready had a 2176, then I bought ONE LA
One of my friend bought IGS audio varimu mastering, I was so jalours / jelous I also bought it. It is may be for mastering but I am using it also on vocal and mixing it works great :-)

by the way: I have also retro powerstrip (it has also varimu compressor, lovely too)

Vey nice compressor indeed, no any regrets of course on it :-)

try before you die :-)

Kadir (The Netherlands)

(my other equipments: Prismsound Orpheus, API 2500, A desings Nail, Retro Instruments Powerstrip, TC reverb 4000, IGS audio 2176, IGs Audio One LA, Breant Averill Lunchbox, Shadow Hills mono gamma, great river nv 500n)
Old 30th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadir ➑️
I allready had a 2176, then I bought ONE LA
One of my friend bought IGS audio varimu mastering, I was so jalours / jelous I also bought it. It is may be for mastering but I am using it also on vocal and mixing it works great :-)

by the way: I have also retro powerstrip (it has also varimu compressor, lovely too)

Vey nice compressor indeed, no any regrets of course on it :-)

try before you die :-)

Kadir (The Netherlands)

(my other equipments: Prismsound Orpheus, API 2500, A desings Nail, Retro Instruments Powerstrip, TC reverb 4000, IGS audio 2176, IGs Audio One LA, Breant Averill Lunchbox, Shadow Hills mono gamma, great river nv 500n)

Kadir, where are you located exactly ?
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any news comment on it?

Thanks

J.
Old 26th October 2015
Gear Head

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I just spent my first day w a pair of tubecore 500s. They are excellent bus compressors! My only comparison is to software. Though my results are similar between the two, the tubecores are noticeably smoother and produce less unwanted distortion. I used them on every bus with satisfaction. I'm happy with these.

Also, the color is sexy

*edit*
Second day.

you can get some serious distortion, which sounds amazing when blended in lightly. Made my drums sound like bombs

I'm loving the layout of controls. My workflow has improved. I'm very pleased

Last edited by blackmelanite; 27th October 2015 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Adding
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Head

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
OK.

Now that I've spent more than a month with it, it has solidified it's place in my workstation! I used it on all stems and on the final mixes to my sweet satisfaction.

https://blackmelanite.bandcamp.com/t...ing-into-space

hear it for yourself!! ^^^

I'm a musician, not a professional engineer... so the results are likely not a full representation of this unit's capabilities

Last edited by blackmelanite; 30th November 2015 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: spelling lol
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Head

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'm also liking the tubecore as my second, or even third compressor in the tracking/mixing chain for a subtle enhancement. Or super crunchy texture on dist guitar and snare!
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
any more recent thought on this? curious how the tubecore compares to the manley vari-mu in particular. is the vari-mu 'warmer'? is the vari-mu a 90's fad? how does the tubecore sound different?
πŸ“ Reply